Hello I am a sugar addict.

Options

Replies

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Okay, how about answering for the selective cutting and pasting you did in this one? You know, where you butchered the content of the article to make it fit what you wanted it to say?

I didn't 'butcher' anything; I posted the relevant section of the article (without amendment). Mr M's claim was that, and I quote: "sugar isn't even associated with the development of DM, even from the major diabetes organizations". The section I posted pointed out that it is associated.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    mrspater14 wrote: »
    I just ended up getting Herbalife cookies and crème shakes, friggin nailed that on the head. tastes like im drinking cake batter which makes my inner fat kid happy.

And it has sugar....
    So you curbed your sugar cravings with sugar....makes complete sense and I would imagine that would work...
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Okay, how about answering for the selective cutting and pasting you did in this one? You know, where you butchered the content of the article to make it fit what you wanted it to say?

I didn't 'butcher' anything; I posted the relevant section of the article (without amendment). Mr M's claim was that, and I quote: "sugar isn't even associated with the development of DM, even from the major diabetes organizations". The section I posted pointed out that it is associated.

Do you understand why they singled out soda? Because that's something that people can easily consume too much of and take in too many calories. It's "linked" meaning, this is an item we have found that many people who develop diabetes have overindulged in. It's not saying the sugar in the soda caused the diabetes, otherwise they would have advised us to cut out all sugar to avoid diabetes. It's an important distinction.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    bulk_n_cut wrote: »
    you may become an insulin addict later in life if you keep it up, so think about that and stop eating sugar?

Did you know diabetes is not caused by sugar, but that diabetics must have limited sugar because their bodies do not properly metabolize carbs?

not going to make any comments on this till i read some more, i seem to have knowledge holes that need patching
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    4723girls wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips?

12 Step.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Lol posted the relevant section of the page. Because we all know that the heading go an article is never relevant. My god this is amusing.

What's more amusing is the juvenile tactics you're using to try to divert attention from the fact that your statement was incorrect.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Do you understand why they singled out soda? Because that's something that people can easily consume too much of and take in too many calories. It's "linked" meaning, this is an item we have found that many people who develop diabetes have overindulged in. It's not saying the sugar in the soda caused the diabetes, otherwise they would have advised us to cut out all sugar to avoid diabetes. It's an important distinction.

She obviously has no idea what linked means when used in science so maybe it was just a simple mistake?
  • plutonianfrog
    Options
    Try to make a sweet fruit-protein combo of some type. Like banana/apple and nut butter, pork with pineapple, etc. Not the greatest calorie wise but it takes the edge off and has some use vs a simple cake doesn't have as much to offer.

For me it also helps to have limited amounts of sugar around the house else in a moment of weakness they'll disappear into my stomach. If I have one piece of cake that's it I won't be eating the rest of it too.
  • Chrysalid2014
    edited April 2015
    Options

The point in dispute isn't whether sugar CAUSES diabetes. It's whether sugar is ASSOCIATED with the development of diabetes.

[Edit] Oh hang on, I've read it again. So you're saying that they're recommending people avoid sugary drinks, not because the drinks have sugar in them, but simply because they have a lot of calories. Ok if that's what they mean I take your point.
  • Hornsby
    Options

The point in dispute isn't whether sugar CAUSES diabetes. It's whether sugar is ASSOCIATED with the development of diabetes.

And it's not. Even using your link, only sugary drinks are linked. So all other sugar is okay? Do I have it right now?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I love these threads because I imagine that the OP is like 'bet no one has ever posted this topic before.'

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Why is every sugar thread hijacked with old arguments? Obviously no one will win and only the OP, who was only seeking advice, loses. :(

Yes, that's true. For the record, I agree to disagree with Mr M and Mrs Peach about the relative nutritional merits of candy bars. Now let's leave that one there.

Back to the OP's question, I too am a sugar addict and am transitioning to a low-carb, high fat diet, as many other addicts testify this is the cure.

Hi fat? Your diary says otherwise.

You also eat an awful lot of fruit for a sugar addict.

FTR, I didn't agree to disagree with you. You never answered any direct questions and it's obvious that you don't have answers for them.

• wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You might need to abstain from eating refined sugar if you have a sugar addiction. In spite of what some people say, foods are just another substance that can trigger addiction in some people. In those cases, moderation doesn't work in the same way it doesn't work for alcoholics or drug addicts.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Just chiming in because I friggin love this thread.

"Associated with the development" and "linked to" are two very different statements. Nowhere in that article you quoted does it say that sugar is linked to the development of diabetes. There is no statement regarding exactly where the intersection between diabetes and sugar occurs. They do say to limit intake to prevent diabetes, but only after acknowledging that they don't actually know the link.

• Chrysalid2014
    Options
    Lol posted the relevant section of the page. Because we all know that the heading go an article is never relevant. My god this is amusing.

What's more amusing is the juvenile tactics you're using to try to divert attention from the fact that your statement was incorrect.

Right, because you have determined that my statement that "sugar wasn't the cause of diabetes" was false and you proved that by posting a link titled "Diabetes Myths" and one of the myths in the link that diabetes.org states is a myth was "Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes". But you decided the myth they were saying existed was not relevant and you selected just the information you felt backed up your stance. Do I have that type out properly? That's what happened right?

Lol pathetic.

I'm well aware that sugar isn't the cause of diabetes, or at least that that isn't known definitively. Your statement actually was:
    I pointed out to you that sugar isn't even associated with the development of DM, even from the major diabetes organizations

And my reply was

"Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes." [etc]

Are you saying that 'linked' and 'associated' don't mean the same thing?

• 19laurie
    19laurie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can only sympathize with OP as I sit here eating my Reese' Fast Break candy bar. I don't think I'm addicted to sugar, but I'm pretty sure that I would be really hungry all the time without it. Most days even when I stay under my calorie goal, I go WAY over the sugar goal. At this point I'm focusing on calories and not worried about sugar, but for awhile I was sure it was impossible for anyone to stay under the recommended sugar allotment. Imagine my surprise when I viewed a few people's diaries and found that many people get less than the recommended amount of sugar all the time! I just don't like the same food that they do, so I keep looking for healthy food that I like that is low in sugar (and working on giving up soda). But as I said, my main focus is losing weight, so as long as I stay under my calorie goal I don't worry about the sugar content. I sure wish I didn't like sugar (especially chocolate) so much though!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    4723girls wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips?

Sugar can have a very addicting quality to it. Sometimes going cold turkey on sweet things (sugary drinks, candy, ice cream, etc.) can be helpful. Not forever, just for a few weeks to let your taste buds adjust. You may then find that you don't need as much to be satisfied.

Also, eating sugary things that also have fiber or protein can be helpful since these slow digestion and can help you feel full longer.

It will take willpower and may not be easy, but you can do it.

People always say this about fiber and protein and I just don't get it. Do you assume that people are eating spoonfuls of sugar? My m&ms have sugar, fiber and protein. What are these foods that are 100% sugar/carbs with no other macros?

Most of the sweet things I eat have fat in them (as I've posted before, I find it weird that people always blame sugar when my cookie recipe has a lot more calories from butter and also from flour than sugar). Thus, what you say is right--to the extent speed of digestion matters, the fat slows it down.

The boom and bust cycle (or whatever one wants to call it) was much more of an issue for me with bagels, and mostly because I ate them plain.
This discussion has been closed.