Normal Irish girl going to a celeb wedding...help!!

Options

Replies

• Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Walking in there like you own the place and looking FAB and confident as a size 16 is gonna be way better than acting shy or awkward or self-conscious as a size 12 would. Just own your own size and get a great dress and dance like crazy. Think Adele, Queen Latifah or Melissa McCarthy at the Academy Awards: These ladies are hot s*it and they know it, and they're not gonna let a few curves stop them from owning that red carpet.

Don't stress about the plastic-surgeried airbrushed size 00 model types -- they're just angry all the time 'cause they haven't had any real food in a decade. Help yourself to real food at the wedding and make 'em all jealous.

Confidence is attitude, not dress size.
    Absolutely fabulous advice. Thank you - this is something I need to remember:)
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Nadene75 wrote: »
    WOW! I am completely overwhelmed by all your comments! You guys are amazing! And you know what, I am gonna take ALL your advice and walk in there and be me! All size 16 of me!!! I love Pink, and looked this up when you commented on that and she's totally on the mark! I am Nadene, I am a size 16 but it does not define me! I am so much more than that! #girlpower

Inspirational!! You motivated me today!! And by the way you're absolutely gorgeous already!!
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi Nadene. I'd love to lend support and help with accountability if you want to add me. Welcome to MFP, btw. :smile:
  • Nadene75
    Nadene75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! But I haven't figured out how to add
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Walking in there like you own the place and looking FAB and confident as a size 16 is gonna be way better than acting shy or awkward or self-conscious as a size 12 would. Just own your own size and get a great dress and dance like crazy. Think Adele, Queen Latifah or Melissa McCarthy at the Academy Awards: These ladies are hot s*it and they know it, and they're not gonna let a few curves stop them from owning that red carpet.

Don't stress about the plastic-surgeried airbrushed size 00 model types -- they're just angry all the time 'cause they haven't had any real food in a decade. Help yourself to real food at the wedding and make 'em all jealous.

Confidence is attitude, not dress size.

+1

^Agreed. Confidence supercedes a dress size. A commanding presence and air of confidence will turn heads. Based on your profile pic, it's safe to say you are stunning anyway. I'd say any changes you make between now and then will just be a little bonus but you can own this event.
  • Nadene75
    Options
    Also, do you have Rent The Runway in Ireland? Or something similar?

You ROCK! Thank you for your posts, they got me all fired up and I should be going to bed lol I've never heard of The Runway, is it a movie? I will google and see if I can get it on Amazon or something.... Thank you x

Rent the Runway is an online designer gown rental service. For a fraction of the price of ownership, you can rent a dress from a top designer for a special event. They post photos of real women wearing the dresses so you can suss out which ones would look best on you, and they even send you two sizes so you have one as a backup in case it doesn't fit.

I've never used the service, but I'd be tempted to for an event like yours. After all, designer isn't exactly in my budget, but I'd just LOVE to walk into an event like that wearing something fabulous.

Oh I'm sooooo embarrassed! I thought you meant I should Rent... The Runway! haha I'm an eejit
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm sooooo embarrassed! I thought you meant I should Rent... The Runway! haha I'm an eejit

LOL, nah, don't be embarrassed. I kinda want to rent this movie now too. (It doesn't exist? Hey, let's film it!)
  • Nadene75
    Options

LOL, nah, don't be embarrassed. I kinda want to rent this movie now too. (It doesn't exist? Hey, let's film it!)

Would you believe I googled it and the is a movie called The Runway and it's an Irish film! Now I really am embarrassed haha
  • insaneteabag
    insaneteabag Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the great comments above! Personally I find high intensity training really works for shredding the unwanted fat and toning - I've noticed a huge difference in terms of inches lost and my fitness level. I'd start slow and ease into it. If you're a member of a gym check out their HITT classes - Tabata, insanity, etc. I find classes are amazing - they push me so much harder and I love the team feeling you get. Go at your own pace and have fun!

Combined with a healthy diet you'll be feeling and looking amazing in no time! Good luck! :)
  • Nadene75
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    WOW! I am completely overwhelmed by all your comments! You guys are amazing! And you know what, I am gonna take ALL your advice and walk in there and be me! All size 16 of me!!! I love Pink, and looked this up when you commented on that and she's totally on the mark! I am Nadene, I am a size 16 but it does not define me! I am so much more than that! #girlpower

Inspirational!! You motivated me today!! And by the way you're absolutely gorgeous already!!

Awh thank you! Everyone has motivated me! We can do this xx
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options

Would you believe I googled it and the is a movie called The Runway and it's an Irish film! Now I really am embarrassed haha

If it's on Netflix we should all watch it tomorrow in your honour:)
  • segacs
    Options

You mean this one? Only a 6.6/10 on IMDB though. Doesn't look too promising. :D
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey Nadine, I was the same boat last month - had a friends wedding and wanted to drop a dress size. I had 5 weeks of keto, with moderate exercise and went from a size 14 to a size 10 dress just in time for the wedding. (Started at 10 stone 13lb finished at 9 12) Keto was a bit tough going for the first week - but after the keto flu wore off it was grand. Also after wedding weekend I had put on 6lb but the dress zipped up on the day which was the main thing :) Anyway have a great time at the wedding x
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Also needle and thread in BT2 do gorgeous dresses that aren't too expensive. Don't stress out about losing weight, just enjoy the day :)
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Top tip: Don't stand next to Victoria Beckham when the photos are being taken :D

If you have 8 weeks, you can totally lose a few pounds, and that will make a big difference to how you feel. Have fun!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Buy a new outfit that makes you feel good. Get your hair and make up done.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Maybe go for a Jillian Michaels program while eating at the deficit MFP gave you? 30DS, BFBM, or JMBR, read up on them. They are short-term HIIT-based workouts, have shown pretty good results for some people (myself included) in terms of inches / dress sizes, not so much the scale. I'm suggesting these because you are just starting out and there's an 8-week time limit lol. I'm sure you can safely lose a couple of inches in 8 weeks. Hope you keep it up after the 8 weeks are up! Good luck. :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    First off, OP, I love your healthy and smart attitude. You don't know how many women come in here saying, "HELP I MUST LOSE 25 POUNDS IN 3 WEEKS FOR FRIEND'S WEDDING, MUST COME FROM TUMMY, NOT BOOBS, WILL A JUICE FAST AND CRUNCHES DO IT?" ~roll eyes~

To look and feel your best at the wedding and beyond, just start eating fewer calories, more nutrients...and move more. Doing some weight work right away will make you feel strong and may even firm a few key bits up even before the wedding! (My arms tend to look better quite quickly, which is always a bonus in a formal dress.)

Tricks for the big event...

1) Starting a few days to a week before, try to eat less sodium and drink more water. I don't normally worry about sodium as I know water retention fluctuates and it's no big deal...but if you want to guarantee less fluid, cut back on sodium a week before the day in question.

2) A flattering dress+shapewear = "Look at that fine curvilicious goddess!"

3) Good haircut, professional hair and makeup. (if adding in a facial, do it well in advance of the day...some people are blotchy for a week after!) Even if you don't need a cut, get a pro styling the day of the event if you can afford that treat!

4) Walk in there with a smile and a PLAN. (ProTip: If your plan is to have a fantastic time and laugh with whomever you may meet? I can promise you that you will have more eyes on you than the most pinched little peroxided spray tanned WAG in the place.)
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm hoping to loose weight for a premier league footballers wedding in June. I'm overweight and my confidence is low without the pressure of all the beautiful skinny people milling around! I'm not so unrealistic as to think I can be a size 12 (currently a size 16) in 8 weeks, but I want to be more confident than I am now. I'm trying to figure this app out and how to track calories etc but would love motivational tips and advice! Thanks everyone, please add me ☺️

Hi!
    I'd suggest lifting heavy things. I recently dropped to a size 20 BUT I look so much better than my previous size 16!

My waist nips in, my arms are toned as are my legs, so I'm still fat but I look goooood!

• segacs
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    4) Walk in there with a smile and a PLAN. (ProTip: If your plan is to have a fantastic time and laugh with whomever you may meet? I can promise you that you will have more eyes on you than the most pinched little peroxided spray tanned WAG in the place.)

THIS!