Alternative to Shakeology

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of bashing of Shakeology on here, can someone provide some facts on what's wrong with it (other than the price)? Are their claims BS? IF so, how do you know?

please explain to me how it is better than say gold standard whey protein, or, you know, real food????
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I skimmed a thread about a product called Soylent. Don't know too much about it (IT'S PEOPLE!!!!!!! ---- no I kid), but maybe check out the site, see if it floats your boat.

VVVVVV
    Soylent
    VVVVVV
  • Lisaml7411
    Lisaml7411 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No, I do not sell Shakeology, never did, and never will. I did use it for a while and do like the taste of some of them very well. But I am in agreement that is is way overpriced and not worth it! I prefer to eat whole foods and use shakes made from whole foods and added protiein powders. I am following this thread to find what other people are using for protein powders as I had used Shakeology and a few others in the past.

And yes, I do feel your comment was rude, herrspoons, and uncalled for.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    I skimmed a thread about a product called Soylent. Don't know too much about it (IT'S PEOPLE!!!!!!! ---- no I kid), but maybe check out the site, see if it floats your boat.

VVVVVV
    Soylent
    VVVVVV

There are lots of recipes for you to make your own soylent which may be cheaper? IDK. I hear it is sort of like runny pancake batter, and is best drunk cold.

Personally I'd rather have food, but I do have a stock of meal replacement shake powders for when I've woken up too late to get breakfast, or if I've run out of food and am too sick to go to the shops.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    shakeology is over priced garbage and provides nothing that a regular protein shake does not ….

Absolutely true! I tried it once and Shakology tasted really bad. Regular Protien shakes taste better and provide just as much nutrition without the higher price tag.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    A much better atlernative to shakeology would be to paypal me whatever money you spend monthly on shakeology. that way, at least one of us gains something from the cycle.
  • adamhostetler7
    adamhostetler7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of bashing of Shakeology on here, can someone provide some facts on what's wrong with it (other than the price)? Are their claims BS? IF so, how do you know?

please explain to me how it is better than say gold standard whey protein, or, you know, real food????

I'm new to the game here. I'm not defending it, but I AM looking for actual information to the contrary of their claims.

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP that shakeogy is too expensive. I think it is a good product. Just because Beachbody is making a profit off of it doesn't mean it isn't a great nutrional product.

The closest thing I have found is adding green drink to a protein powder ....Nasty and not a whole lot less expensive. Shakeology tastes better than most protein drinks. It averages out to about $3.25 per serving Which is still less than a high quality meal of lean protein and produce.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold standard whey along with Garden of Life Perfect Food.

Dollar for dollar, you'll get more servings for the cost and more than likely a "purer" product.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I agree; this is what I use for a post-workout snack. It's tasty, mixes well, and is more reasonably priced than similar products.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

I'm new to the game here. I'm not defending it, but I AM looking for actual information to the contrary of their claims.

Ok. Tell me the exact ingredients of a Shakeology shake. I can tell you what ON Gold Standard's are.

That's the difference.

Agreed. They have some super secret, proprietary information ingredient that they swear is amazing, but if you have no clue what's in it, there's no clinical trials to support their claims, and most people claiming it's amazing are selling it...

It's not about proving it's bad. It's why bother with a snake oil that could contain anything (or nothing but filler) when you could go with something cheaper with known ingredients.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I was a beachbody coach for about a year until I quit after I got sick of the MLM. I tried sooooo hard to like shakeology and forced myself to drink it because as my upline always said "be a product of the product". I never any amazing results from it so now I use GNC whey protein and love it. Doesn't taste like butt either ;)
  • kittymeowrundforfun89
    Options
    Garden of Life Raw brand is good. It keeps you full, especially if you add a frozen banana and some sort of nut butter.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I was a beachbody coach for about a year until I quit after I got sick of the MLM. I tried sooooo hard to like shakeology and forced myself to drink it because as my upline always said "be a product of the product". I never any amazing results from it so now I use GNC whey protein and love it. Doesn't taste like butt either ;)

I can honestly say I don't ever recall seeing a former coach of there's come share that. I'm sure it's happened before but I haven't seen it. Thanks for sharing.

I'm sure its a no no to share that info HA! but that's MY opinion. I tried it....spent lots of money and got nothing from it. I tried so hard to like it because I had only read good things (from other coaches pages).
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I always just mix 1-2 cups of milk with Carnation Breakfast Essentials (Chocolate flavor) and it has loads of vitamins. I usually do 2 cups of milk because I struggle with figuring out what to eat later so I have more calories in that drink and less to worry about later.
  • Tlw83
    Tlw83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Why do people come to the community just to be rude? People are just looking for some advice..why treat them like you're more intelligent or better?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Tlw83 wrote: »
    Why do people come to the community just to be rude? People are just looking for some advice..why treat them like you're more intelligent or better?

Why do people come to the community just to ask stupid questions?
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm not sure. I would just say a protein shake with a multivitamin. It honestly shouldn't be that hard since Shakeology uses sub-par ingredients and is pretty much poo.

Basically. I know you said you don't want to hear about protein shakes, but honestly I've compared my protein shake along with my multivitamin and it's about the same nutrition (with even MORE protein). I just have to add something for a couple extra grams of fiber. So mornings I make myself a shake with my protein and whatever else I want to throw in there (banana, other fruit, matcha, etc) and take a multivitamin and I've spent less than half what I would spend on one scoop of shakeology. I mean, big deal you have to buy two products instead of one if it saves you $2 per day.

It's important though to get a protein shake that has a high ratio of protein to calories. Not every protein shake and multivitamin will offer the same nutrition. Also keep in mind that excess of fat soluble vitamins can actually bad for you, and even if you take an excess of water soluble vitamins it doesn't help more than taking the recommended amount, so as long as you're getting your recommended intake over the course of the day, you don't need extra.