Hubby refuses to grasp healthier lifestyle. Help!!!!

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Not sure why that didn't quote right??
  • Willogurl1231
    Willogurl1231 Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well like most said he is a grown man. He has to be ready. Sometimes unfortunately a health scare is enough to kick people into gear. You can't save him he has to save himself.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your husband is a rock.
  • Willogurl1231
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    ksnurse25 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Do any of you have any advice?

If it's that important to you, split up now and save everyone a whole lot of extra grief.

I was not aware that being concerned for someone's health was grounds for divorce. LOL! Sorry but this comment made me giggle. My husband is my everything. That is why I want to keep him around longer.

The more you nag about it the more you will push him away.

Yup.. agreed
  • ksnurse25
    ksnurse25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. If anything I just needed to vent. It's frustrating and being able to communicate your feelings helps.
  • Willogurl1231
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Do any of you have any advice?

If it's that important to you, split up now and save everyone a whole lot of extra grief.

I was not aware that being concerned for someone's health was grounds for divorce. LOL! Sorry but this comment made me giggle. My husband is my everything. That is why I want to keep him around longer.

The more you nag about it the more you will push him away.

Yup.. agreed

About the nagging part only.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    It sounds like your husband is a rock.

I love you so hard. I was going to say at least he's not rude and igneous.
  • Serah87
    Options
    I wonder what your husband thinks about you coming on here "venting" about him.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The more you push the more you will push him away. Men hate nagging. Has his Dr said anything? Its for him to sort out.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    He knows, all you can do is keep cooking the meals and keeping things healthy for you and your daughter he will either come aboard or he won't. My hubs got upset with me a few times, cause I stopped cooking at night, no more fries and other crap. I started eating during the day and really try to cut out night time eating, I told him if he doesn't want to be so hungry at night he should eat with us during the day, he is slowly getting there. You can only do this for yourself and your children. Best of luck and hopefully he will come around
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    The first thought that came into my mind is....was he like this when you met him? Or are you trying to change him from that into a new lifestyle you want for him?

Just...putting that thought into your mind.

Having said that...it would probably be best to lead by example, rather than trying to force him to change his ways. Case in point...when I was married I decided to go back to being a vegetarian within a couple months of us being together. He was pretty horrified LoL But I didnt make a big deal of it. I anyway hated to cook meat, which he knew and would always help me with. But I told him that I would make dinner, if he liked it great, if he didnt, go throw something on the grill...I dont care.

Because I didnt make a big deal of it, he had nothing to resist or fight against. That wasnt intentional or me being tricky by the way..I honestly didnt care. Me being a vegetarian had nothing to do with him. But...he would at least try the meals, and actually enjoyed it so much that it wasnt long before the only time he ate meat was once or twice a month when hed throw a bbq. Also, I wanted to do something to stay in shape, and asked him to help me pick out a bike... When we went to get it, he decided he wanted to get one too...his idea entirely that it would be a great way for us to spend time together.

I really didnt know this at the time (I was only 20 then) but on reflection, I somehow got the most stubborn, bull-headed guy who was a meat and potatoes, beer drinking, sit on the couch watching racing southern boy, to eat vegetarian and go bike riding after work every day with me...all by allowing him the chance to make the choice of his own free will to do it. If I had nagged or made a big deal of it, it would never have happened...

Anyway..just an idea!
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Already been down that road. End of the story is that my husband died of a heart attack at the age of 36. He insisted on eating crappy food, fast food, take out etc. I cooked healthy meals for me and my daughter. I thought he would have a heart attack and learn his lesson but it was the Widow maker. His first heart attack was his last. People have to make their own choices about their health. They just don't realize that their choices affect everyone in the family. My daughter was only 15 years old when her dad died. People who don't safeguard their health are being selfish and thinking only of themselves.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Throw the candy away (or take it to work)! If it's gifted to your daughter, give her a piece and make it disappear. I would personally also throw away his candy when he brings it home... Maybe he'd stop buying it. Candy by the bed? That's too much.
  • Serah87
    Options
    Throw the candy away (or take it to work)! If it's gifted to your daughter, give her a piece and make it disappear. I would personally also throw away his candy when he brings it home... Maybe he'd stop buying it. Candy by the bed? That's too much.

That will be fast way to divorce court!!
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I really fear my husband's bad eating habits and sedimentary lifestyle.

That's like an other class of sedentary, right? ;)

• ksnurse25
    Options
    I really fear my husband's bad eating habits and sedimentary lifestyle.

That's like an other class of sedentary, right? ;)

Ha!! That's a funny mistake I made. :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Quadruple his life insurance so you & your daughter are financially protected in case, God Forbid, he drops dead of a heart attack.
    Serious.
  • ksnurse25
    Options
    Quadruple his life insurance so you & your daughter are financially protected in case, God Forbid, he drops dead of a heart attack.
    Serious.

Already accomplished.
  • ksnurse25
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    The first thought that came into my mind is....was he like this when you met him? Or are you trying to change him from that into a new lifestyle you want for him?

No he was active and motivated. We did things together and he was involved with life.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would stop talking about it or telling him what he should do. Do your own thing and leave him be.
    I know you love him and worry about his health but you can't make him do this. When he is ready he will work on it.