Lean muscle gains

Options
im trying to put on weight while staying lean...it's not easy!

Replies

• terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Nope!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Not really possible.....
    I mean think about it, if you are eating in a surplus and you are building muscle...then you will add weight.

Now if you are saying you don't want to add fat....then still somewhat not possible.
    You can take a more slow approach, where you are increasing your caloric intake to 250 - 500 calories above maintenance....
    That will be slow, but will allow for about 1 lb / week increase....some will be fat, but some will be muscle.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    100% impossible
    Your body is not efficient enough to convert 100%of excess calories into muscle...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance, lift heavy.
  • MikeD_Boston
    MikeD_Boston Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's possible...just difficult. It takes 500 extra calories a day to put in a pound a week...as long as you take in 2 grams per pound body weight in protein and keep your carb and fat calories under 250 grams(carbs) and 75-100 grams(fat)
  • muscledaveSJC
    muscledaveSJC Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's like swimming upstream, bulk then cut....101 my friend
  • MikeD_Boston
    Options
    Also lifting heavy isn't always the answer. TUT(time under tension) intensity and advanced techniques like drop and supersets, negatives, and rest-pause, put just as much or more stress on your muscles which is what is needed for growth.
  • MikeD_Boston
    Options
    101 in the 80's yes. Bulking is not as accepted science as you may think...especially if your trying to stay at 10% BF year round like I am. It's just a slower process...sustained gains over time.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    101 in the 80's yes. Bulking is not as accepted science as you may think...especially if your trying to stay at 10% BF year round like I am. It's just a slower process...sustained gains over time.

Good luck with that. It sounds like a horribly slow process. Talk about an exercise in patience; I think that would be a harder exercise than all your time under tension... :wink:
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    im trying to put on weight while staying lean...it's not easy!
    Curious, what do you consider lean in bf percentages?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    It's possible...just difficult. It takes 500 extra calories a day to put in a pound a week...as long as you take in 2 grams per pound body weight in protein and keep your carb and fat calories under 250 grams(carbs) and 75-100 grams(fat)
    You're reading too many fitness magazines. Don't believe the hype.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Also lifting heavy isn't always the answer. TUT(time under tension) intensity and advanced techniques like drop and supersets, negatives, and rest-pause, put just as much or more stress on your muscles which is what is needed for growth.
    Will agree with the techniques here, but muscle also needs progressive overload on these programs to work efficiently.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Suck it up baby, you've got to add the fat, just accept it.
    Cutting is so easy man, just do the tried and tested method and stop *kitten* footing around
  • MikeD_Boston
    Options
    I would but the only problem is summer is almost here! Next winter I will definitely bulk some and cut back down.
  • MikeD_Boston
    Options
    I consider 10% or under lean...

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Then wait till August and start your bulk then.....enjoy summer.
    That is what I am doing.
  • dkimyo
    dkimyo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    impossible unless you are completely new to lifting
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

No,it's not
  • MikeD_Boston
    Options
    I'll put a new pic up June first at 205lbs and 8-9% BF...tell me it's impossible then.
  • dkimyo
    dkimyo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ua11cydml6do.jpg

lol im at 100~200 surplus and still gaining fat more than I think
    u should stay in very small surplus but u will also gain fat period