Should you force yourself to drink more?

12346»

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I've gone 60 years by drinking only when I'm thirsty. I really don't understand grown people who find it necessary to hug a bottle all the day long. I think the pee color is as reliable a check as any I've seen.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Can you provide me with your basis for this? Because to be honest from a healthcare professional stand point it doesn't add up. I'm a nurse and when a patient comes in with dark urine the first tests are a urinalysis, CMP, CBC, and liver/kidney function testing. Plus they are immediately given IV fluids. I just want to understand where you are coming from because all the advice that's been posted have been met with resistance.

ijl5m1kw17cq.jpg

I'm certain it's correct. I learnt about it in loads of detail in a lecture course at university, and have a 50 page set of notes on it.

It has a brief summary under "osmoregulation in animals" here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmoregulation#Osmoregulation_in_animals

I'm not meeting your posts with resistance. I'm discussing it with you.

And yeah, I'm sure tests are immediately done for excessive dehydration and other urine abnormalities as they're good indicators of dysfunction.

PS: why on earth would I be trolling about it?

I checked out the link you shared and this disclaimer was at the top of the page.

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (August 2014)

As far as the trolling goes, it's just been my experience here on MFP that if someone post a request for advice and then challenges the suggestions that they actually don't want advice they are just looking to stir the pot. Since I tend to be a pot stirrer too I just made that assumption. Of course we all know what happens when you assume! Since that was not your intention, I completely apologize.

• noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Can you provide me with your basis for this? Because to be honest from a healthcare professional stand point it doesn't add up. I'm a nurse and when a patient comes in with dark urine the first tests are a urinalysis, CMP, CBC, and liver/kidney function testing. Plus they are immediately given IV fluids. I just want to understand where you are coming from because all the advice that's been posted have been met with resistance.

ijl5m1kw17cq.jpg

I'm certain it's correct. I learnt about it in loads of detail in a lecture course at university, and have a 50 page set of notes on it.

It has a brief summary under "osmoregulation in animals" here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmoregulation#Osmoregulation_in_animals

I'm not meeting your posts with resistance. I'm discussing it with you.

And yeah, I'm sure tests are immediately done for excessive dehydration and other urine abnormalities as they're good indicators of dysfunction.

PS: why on earth would I be trolling about it?

I checked out the link you shared and this disclaimer was at the top of the page.

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (August 2014)

As far as the trolling goes, it's just been my experience here on MFP that if someone post a request for advice and then challenges the suggestions that they actually don't want advice they are just looking to stir the pot. Since I tend to be a pot stirrer too I just made that assumption. Of course we all know what happens when you assume! Since that was not your intention, I completely apologize.

I've also come across the information in various textbooks, which I can provide references for if you want.

Haha honestly no worries. Sorry if it came across like that, I'm not very good at explaining myself sometimes. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    People in hot countries must make sure they stay hydrated (and get enough salt, too).

I am required to drink a certain amount daily as part of my post-surgery routine, as it is now harder to get enough fluids. If I don't I risk kidney stones; unpleasant.

I have found that if I keep a larger water bottle near me I will work harder to finish it. This psychology is well-known in the movie industry with their super-sized popcorn and drinks.

Bad Popcorn in Big Buckets: Portion Size Can Influence Intake as Much as Taste