CARBS!!! Please help!

For three days, I have logged my meals. Carbs are almost 40% of my daily intake. What are some suggestions to cut down my daily intake?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Eat less carbs?.... But why do you think that's necessary?
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Eat less carbs?.... But why do you think that's necessary?

^^^ THAT.

If you don't eat carbs, where will your calories come from? Are you hitting your fats/protein macros?
    if so, then the rest must come from carbs .... Your body needs them as much as anything else..
  • shynsneeky
    shynsneeky Posts: 3 Member
    What is your carb set goals for your diet? If your at 40% now where would you like it to be? I try to eat a fair portion of carbs early and maybe leave off the carbs for dinner. For instance for dinner I would have steak and veggies or a salad, no bread or rice with that meal. In doing so you have to make sure you fill the calorie count in other ways. So again this is based on your personal goals and what your trying to achieve.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Increase fat and protein. Reduce fruit, bread, cereal, corn, pasta, rice, quinoa, pizza.
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    I would never recommend to pull carbs completely out because its not sustainable for long term and you can have a real real hard time when reintegrating them. 40% is not a horrible percent. Its actually pretty good and what's recommended.

Now if you still want to cut them down try eating less rice and more steak. Less potatoes and more chicken ... get it
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,469 Member
    edited April 2015
    For three days, I have logged my meals. Carbs are almost 40% of my daily intake. What are some suggestions to cut down my daily intake?

40% sounds all right ... if not, perhaps, just a touch low. :)

• Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 131 Member

I found there's a big difference in how my body responds if I'm getting carbs from wheat (breads, cookies, granola bars, 100 calorie snack packs, tortillas) vs from veggies or fruits. I would recommend keeping your carbs the same, but changing the type of carbs you eat to include more fruit and veggie sources to see if you notice a difference!

And of course- you can limit carbs by looking at the grams of carbs in foods and making lower carb choices. So, a medium banana was 26g carbs, while a serving of strawberries has 12g (1 cup), ad green beans have 5g (per cup). So for breakfast, if you want to go "high" carb, include a banana. If you want medium carb, go strawberries. If you want to really eliminate carbs, eat green beans. Etc. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

40% isn't really a massive amount. Why do you need to cut down?
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    I don't see what's wrong with that amount. My carbs are set to 50%, and I usually eat an average of 45% of my calorie intake from carbohydrates. That's my personal preference, and it hasn't hindered me in any way. What's the issue with having 40% carbs exactly?
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    I don't see what's wrong with that amount. My carbs are set to 50%, and I usually eat an average of 45% of my calorie intake from carbohydrates. That's my personal preference, and it hasn't hindered me in any way. What's the issue with having 40% carbs exactly?

The preconceived notion that carbs are the devil
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    nancyjay__ wrote: »

Not to be confused with the preconceived notion that anyone who eats less carbs must believe carbs are the devil. BTW, reducing them is sustainable long term, and you don't gain it all back when you add them back, unless you're suggesting CICO stops working when someone eats more carbs?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member

40% isn't an abnormal high amount of carbs. Why are you looking to lower it? Are you not feeling well when eating that many carbs? Carbs can be part of a balanced diet for many people.
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    nancyjay__ wrote: »

Not to be confused with the preconceived notion that anyone who eats less carbs must believe carbs are the devil. BTW, reducing them is sustainable long term, and you don't gain it all back when you add them back, unless you're suggesting CICO stops working when someone eats more carbs?

Agreed! I personally would love to eat as many carbs as I can, unfortunately my body says NO if I do that. Each person needs to do what makes them feel the best, for me this is sustainable long term because I have no other choice. I know there are others who likely have similar health issues and may not be aware of it, as I was not aware until recently.

Carbs are definitely not the devil in a diet, for many, if not most people, they are a great source of energy and are easily incorporated into a health lifestyle.

PS: i still eat carbs, just less of them and from different sources than I used to
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I just checked my ratios and I'm trying to hit 60%/16%/24% (Carb/Fat/Protein). This ratio was approved by my dietitian. Every time I've tried to change a ratio like this it gets really, really hard. Like cutting all carbs from a meal or supplementing with whey protein.

40% is just fine.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    I try to keep at about 40% and am losing. To keep it at that level, I often (but not always) just don't eat the bread. For example, I had tacos on Tuesday, but on Wednesday I ate the leftovers as a taco salad--no tortilla, big pile of lettuce. We had Italian sausage and I left off the bun and had a bunch of peppers and onions with it instead.

Once I tried to keep carbs at 20%, and it was really hard.
  • BananasananaB
    BananasananaB Posts: 12 Member
    Currently eating 70-80% carbs and losing weight with no change in muscle mass. Carbs are fuel. Eat them.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member

Calories in, Calories out is all that matters for weight loss. Is there a different reason for you wanting to cut down on carbs? I'm currently doing a lower carb macro ratio, but it's for something totally non-weight related.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

40% is not a high intake of carbs. But if you want to cut it, then look over your diary and see what you most easily do without.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Get more veggies in :)
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    I prefer to look at net carbs - are you eating foods higher in fiber?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member

I believe the MFP default is 50% carbs. Mine is set to 40% because I'm looking to up my protein....

Why are you concerned about 40%? That's a fairly moderate carb level, certainly not unbalanced or even outside the range of what is recommended to many people with medical reasons to reduce intake. (provided they are spread throughout the day and balanced with fats and fiber)