Can someone recommend a decent tasting low calorie protein shake please?

Options
I am looking for a protein shake, preferably chocolate flavour. I don't really like eating after a workout, but need something.

I don't want to waste money on something that tastes vile. Any recommendations for products available in the uk would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I like optimum protein which you can get from Amazon. Not too expensive and the double chocolate is delicious.
  • bryce0000
    bryce0000 Posts: 21 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Red Velvet Cake Batter from bodybuilding.com is pretty good. 130 cals per scoop. Is that considered low for you? It is for me! Good luck!

Not sure if it ships to UK, but maybe the brand is available through other sites? Cellucor is the name of the brand.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That's not too bad thanks, i struggle to make up much of my exercise calories and end up feeling ill the next day, so really 130 wouldn't be too bad at all. Is it honestly palatable? i did used to like red velvet cake!
  • rawk_fairy_666
    Options
    sorry i didnt see your reply iron, a reasonable price would be good, i am spending so much more on food shopping now because im buying more fresh meat and fish. Losing weight healthily is expensive!
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    bryce0000 wrote: »
    Red Velvet Cake Batter from bodybuilding.com is pretty good. 130 cals per scoop. Is that considered low for you? It is for me! Good luck!

Not sure if it ships to UK, but maybe the brand is available through other sites? Cellucor is the name of the brand.

I can't find that in the UK store :sad:
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My husband and I like the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein... He prefers the chocolate fudge and I prefer the vanilla. :)
  • rizlah01
    rizlah01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a protein shake, preferably chocolate flavour. I don't really like eating after a workout, but need something.

I don't want to waste money on something that tastes vile. Any recommendations for products available in the uk would be very much appreciated.

i use GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60

its 100cal per scoop and tastes awesome
  • rawk_fairy_666
    Options
    on amazon only optimum nutrition is coming up, is that the one?
  • sepaterson87
    sepaterson87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    just drink chocolate milk - most effective recovery drink on the market - you really need some carbs to recover after a workout not just protein.
  • GintleSpirit
    GintleSpirit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    fish.... and beans
  • _Divalicious_
    _Divalicious_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have tried many protein shakes and the artificialness of them makes me vomit (especially after surgery) I just tried one from quest. it says milkshake. add a banana to it or maybe some cherries and it is delicious. i used milk but you can also use water. i put it all in the blender with ice and it was so light and refreshing. I didnt vomit even. I have tried bodyfortress, eas AdvantEdge, Premier protein and Muscle Milk and vomited with all. Quest is excellent. and the best part they sell individual envelopes at GNC so you dont have to buy a huge container and find out you dont like. They also sell premade
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I have tried many protein shakes and the artificialness of them makes me vomit (especially after surgery) I just tried one from quest. it says milkshake. add a banana to it or maybe some cherries and it is delicious. i used milk but you can also use water. i put it all in the blender with ice and it was so light and refreshing. I didnt vomit even. I have tried bodyfortress, eas AdvantEdge, Premier protein and Muscle Milk and vomited with all. Quest is excellent. and the best part they sell individual envelopes at GNC so you dont have to buy a huge container and find out you dont like. They also sell premade

but it's really hard to get in the UK and expensive.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    on amazon only optimum nutrition is coming up, is that the one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Chocolate-Protein/dp/B002DYIZH6

This is the one I order - I have it on the subscribe and save to get the extra discount.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    Options
    gintle i have been trying to eat after workouts, but i am really struggling. the only time i really get to work out is in the evening when OH can have our little girl, after that i just cant get it down me without feeling really ill.

I am new to this so still working it all out, but i eat carbs with dinner before i go. do i still need something carby afterwards?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Any WPI will be almost the lowest cal protein you can get. It's practically all protein, sadly food has to have some caloric value.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    gintle i have been trying to eat after workouts, but i am really struggling. the only time i really get to work out is in the evening when OH can have our little girl, after that i just cant get it down me without feeling really ill.

I am new to this so still working it all out, but i eat carbs with dinner before i go. do i still need something carby afterwards?

It depends on your macros and workout.

Technically you don't need anything after a workout.

I like a protein shake after I lift as I generally don't want to eat afterward as I lift after work and it helps me hit my protein macros.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey - Double Rich Chocolate
  • rizlah01
    rizlah01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

depends what you are trying to do..... you will be surprised at how little carbs you actually need, if you are looking to build muscle (and i am not talking about huge muscle) then protein after the workout is best..... 30 grams(or less) within 30 minutes of completing your session, especially if using powder protein.

as for carbs, that fuels your body for exercise, if you are trying to lose weight then you are best to exercise in morning if you can, before breakfast. your body will eat into its fat stores only when there is no fuel in the muscles or blood to support the exercise, so after sleeping for 6-8 hours is best.

Be careful with that though as it can also cause your body to eat into lean muscle for fuel too, so this is why you want to add extra protein to your post workout......

As a rule, if you are not trying to loose weight and just looking to get fit, then hit some carbs about an hour before exercise and protein after..... you can tweak that as you go, but as a general rule the above will work
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Holland & Barrett precision engineered chocolate flavour is nice IMO, I mix it with water. I only buy it when its in the sale though!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    eas advantedge carb control shakes taste like yoohoo. i get them at walmart, they are pre mixed, come in a carton of 4.