Low calorie Lunch suggestions -Vegetarian

Options
Any suggestions for taking lunch to work.
Currently I tend to eat white eggs for breakfast and then some fruits and nuts (peanuts, roasted almonds and pumpkin seeds (without salt) through out the day. Mostly a banana, orange/clementine
However I feel hungry throughout the day.

Any vegetarian recommendations for lunch, that I can carry to work..

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian can be interpreted differently, so first I'll ask what type of vegetarian are you? Do you eat fish? I was going to ask if you're vegan, but then saw that you eat eggs, so I'm guessing not. Adding more fiber, fat and protein to your meals will help you feel full longer.

Greek yogurt is high in protein and very filling.

Beans are excellent vegetarian lunches. Lots of recipes out there, one of my favorite is a chickpea salad tossed with olive oil and red wine vinegar.

Eggs are good, but unless you have a specific dietary reason not to eat them, I'd recommend eating the yolks as well. They'll keep you full longer that way.

Do you like tofu? Or lentils?

• AGupta6mobile
    AGupta6mobile Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Vegetarian can be interpreted differently, so first I'll ask what type of vegetarian are you? Do you eat fish? I was going to ask if you're vegan, but then saw that you eat eggs, so I'm guessing not. Adding more fiber, fat and protein to your meals will help you feel full longer.

Beans are excellent vegetarian lunches. Lots of recipes out there, one of my favorite is a chickpea salad tossed with olive oil and red wine vinegar.

Eggs are good, but unless you have a specific dietary reason not to eat them, I'd recommend eating the yolks as well. They'll keep you full longer that way.

HI Peachy,
    NO fish, but I do eat eggs. I buy those eggwhite containers from Costco, Maybe I will try getting the whole egg and try with egg york as well.

I do like to add tofu or lentils during dinner for protein source. I though of beans and chickpea, but didn't as I thought I might consume more carbs that way.
    Thanks
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

HI Peachy,
    NO fish, but I do eat eggs. I buy those eggwhite containers from Costco, Maybe I will try getting the whole egg and try with egg york as well.

I do like to add tofu or lentils during dinner for protein source. I though of beans and chickpea, but didn't as I thought I might consume more carbs that way.
    Thanks

If you're snacking on fruit throughout the day, you're already having carbohydrates. Swapping these for beans may help you feel fuller -- I know fruit can make me very hungry if I'm just eating that. I will often have beans or tofu for lunch -- I will mix it with greens or cucumber noodles to create a higher volume of food for lower calories. Do you like soups? I often bring soups for lunch -- those can be very low calorie and you can include beans.
  • AGupta6mobile
    Options
    Thanks, I like the idea and I will try swapping the fruits with some proteins and salad. Fruits just seem like the healthier option to anything else.
    I try snaking on dry roasted nuts to keep me full with lots of water. Of course not a whole lot but a hand full.
    I like soups, i will make a bunch over the weekend. I hate the canned ones.. they have too much sodium
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Veggie sticks with homemade guacamole (dead easy -- mashed avocado, salsa to taste, splash of lemon or lime juice, garlic and salt to taste) and a wedge or two of Laughing Cow (or a string cheese)? Lots of volume, high in nutrients, fat and protein to keep you satiated.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    More veggies, less fruit, if calories are an issue, and you are hitting your protein and fat targets.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hummus. On top of a salad or if your carb macros allow it, in a sandwich with grilled vegetables and maybe a slice of cheese. Bean salads are great too: you can go Mexican with black beans and corn, Greek with chickpeas and feta or Moroccan with chickpeas and dried apricots. Switch up the veg, add in a grain of choice and you should be good to go! You could also make a frittata for the week and have it with a side salad.
  • AGupta6mobile
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    More veggies, less fruit, if calories are an issue, and you are hitting your protein and fat targets.

I guess i know what ai was doing wrong. I thought fruit were healthier and the sugar in fruits is supposed to be calculated differently and its good. But I will stick to limited fruits and more veggies. Thanks
  • AGupta6mobile
    Options
    kimw91 wrote: »
    Hummus. On top of a salad or if your carb macros allow it, in a sandwich with grilled vegetables and maybe a slice of cheese. Bean salads are great too: you can go Mexican with black beans and corn, Greek with chickpeas and feta or Moroccan with chickpeas and dried apricots. Switch up the veg, add in a grain of choice and you should be good to go! You could also make a frittata for the week and have it with a side salad.

Thanks, I did think of hummus, and veggies. I will try that.. since last two weeks I am trying to be off from any wheat, bread etc. .. but will slowly introduce once i loose a little and see how the weight acts.

Thanks. For the great suggestions! !
  • angies6pack
    angies6pack Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like to make a smoothie with greek yogurt, fruit, greens, almond/cashew milk and flax seed. Very filling.
  • AGupta6mobile
    Options
    I like to make a smoothie with greek yogurt, fruit, greens, almond/cashew milk and flax seed. Very filling.

Sounds yummy, and will take cate of my sweet tooth as well :). Thank you
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Your diet could be why many vegetarians do not lose weight. Snacking on high fat nuts all day could be a problem. Unless your plan is HFLC. However, if you are eating a lot of fruit, that will blow your carbs.

I suggest adding some vegetables. You don't mention that you eat any...
  • AGupta6mobile
    Options
    Your diet could be why many vegetarians do not lose weight. Snacking on high fat nuts all day could be a problem. Unless your plan is HFLC. However, if you are eating a lot of fruit, that will blow your carbs.

I suggest adding some vegetables. You don't mention that you eat any...

Yes, i think I was over doing on nuts, but still within recommended portion size.. i usually have salads, backed tofu or potatoe. With boiled broccoli and asparagus for dinner. My veggie intake..
    Sometimes I will add in black beans and salsa. To make a taco salad ... ..
    Or add a veggie quinoa burger to my salad for protien and carbs.
    Some times I will take a cup of lentils. . Or beans
    For now totally of of bread, sugar and dairy
  • MochiCupcake
    MochiCupcake Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I eat a lot of hearty veggie soups or curries, I usually add mixed beans or lentils to salads/brown rice or pasta, and top most of my dishes with seeds, & I eat lots of tofu, couscous, quinoa, falafel, etc. Plus as many different types of veggies throughout the day and less fruit.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How about lettuce wraps with black beans, corn, salsa, light cheese. Season with cumin, salt, pepper. Like a mock taco. I say lettuce since you're cutting down on breads.

Vegetarian chili would be great. Cook on weekend and have ready for next week.

Tomato basil soup or vegetable soup. Side salad.

One of my favorites is a corn salad. I mix corn, diced tomatoes, diced jalapeno, green onion and light mayo together. It's great as a side dish...

A veggie stir fry is good.

Zucchini boat pizzas. Scoop out middle and fill with marinara, light cheese, veggies. bake

I had a "mock" eggplant parm last night. Baked the sliced eggplant, topped with homemade tomato sauce and cheese.

Along same lines, portabellas would be a good substitute if you like mushrooms. I love mushrooms. Marinate and grill or bake. Have steamed veggies on the side.

Oh, and I'm not fan of the texture of hummus but found you can make them with many types of beans. I make a butterbean hummus with drained large butterbeans, olive oil, sesame oil, garlic, cumin, fresh lemon juice and enough water to thin. It's great...

Can't forget vegetarian lasagna. This would be one to cook on weekend since it's better following days. I've made it with sliced zucchini or sliced eggplant. If you use eggplant, peel it. I found the peel to be hard to cut in it. When I was watching carbs, I also used wonton wrappers or egg roll wrappers for noodles.

By the way, I'm not vegetarian. I just love food and love vegetables. =)
  • mllemuguet
    mllemuguet Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    - Grilled tofu/tempeh sandwiches with a bit of cheese, and veggies of your choice
    - Vegetable and lentil (or any bean) soup (very low cal if you choose your ingredients right)
    - Hummus with veggies, pita and a bit of cheese
    - Salad (be creative, add nuts for protein and avocado or cheese for fat)

Sides:
    - Nuts: walnuts and pistachios are my favourite
    - Dried fruit or banana for sustenance
    - Any kind of veggie (cucumber and carrots are my favourite because they stay crunchy)

Rework those kinds of recipes until you get bored. You could also just bring a leftover from a previous meal and portion control.

Good luck :smile:
  • PaigeMarieLane
    PaigeMarieLane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What I take to work is about 4crackers, a serving of humus, a serving of carrots, a serving of mix broccoli & cauliflower and tiny bit of ranch (2tblsp). And I sometimes will have a cup of fruit or some yogurt.

P.s. I'm a lacto-ovel-vegetarian :)
    hope this helps you some:)
  • AGupta6mobile
    Options
    I eat a lot of hearty veggie soups or curries, I usually add mixed beans or lentils to salads/brown rice or pasta, and top most of my dishes with seeds, & I eat lots of tofu, couscous, quinoa, falafel, etc. Plus as many different types of veggies throughout the day and less fruit.

Thanks for the tips, sound good, how do you make the falafal? fried? I've been focusing on fruits.. I think I will have to cut that back a little.
  • AGupta6mobile
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    How about lettuce wraps with black beans, corn, salsa, light cheese. Season with cumin, salt, pepper. Like a mock taco. I say lettuce since you're cutting down on breads.

Vegetarian chili would be great. Cook on weekend and have ready for next week.

Tomato basil soup or vegetable soup. Side salad.

One of my favorites is a corn salad. I mix corn, diced tomatoes, diced jalapeno, green onion and light mayo together. It's great as a side dish...

A veggie stir fry is good.

Zucchini boat pizzas. Scoop out middle and fill with marinara, light cheese, veggies. bake

I had a "mock" eggplant parm last night. Baked the sliced eggplant, topped with homemade tomato sauce and cheese.

Along same lines, portabellas would be a good substitute if you like mushrooms. I love mushrooms. Marinate and grill or bake. Have steamed veggies on the side.

Oh, and I'm not fan of the texture of hummus but found you can make them with many types of beans. I make a butterbean hummus with drained large butterbeans, olive oil, sesame oil, garlic, cumin, fresh lemon juice and enough water to thin. It's great...

Can't forget vegetarian lasagna. This would be one to cook on weekend since it's better following days. I've made it with sliced zucchini or sliced eggplant. If you use eggplant, peel it. I found the peel to be hard to cut in it. When I was watching carbs, I also used wonton wrappers or egg roll wrappers for noodles.

By the way, I'm not vegetarian. I just love food and love vegetables. =)

Step, thanks for all the wonderful ideas. I do like the Zucchini boat pizzas, i scoop out the middle, chop and mix with cheese and peppers and fill it back.
    I will have to try the vegetarian lasagna with zucchini :) sounds appetizing
    Thanks
  • AGupta6mobile
    Options
    What I take to work is about 4crackers, a serving of humus, a serving of carrots, a serving of mix broccoli & cauliflower and tiny bit of ranch (2tblsp). And I sometimes will have a cup of fruit or some yogurt.

P.s. I'm a lacto-ovel-vegetarian :)
    hope this helps you some:)

Thanks! what's a lacto-ovel-vegetarian ? no diary and....