Best time to exercise??

Options
2»

Replies

• ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like working out in the morning, because I don't have to worry about it after work that way. It does require me to get to the gym at 5:30am, but once I'm finished I feel good and energetic for the day. I don't always feel like working out after work, and a lot of times things will pop up that prevent me from doing so.
  • cjenkins91
    cjenkins91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I prefer going to the gym first thing in the morning before work, that means I wake up at 4:30 am M-F , yeah it's early but it has a lot of benefits. Main ones being that it's done early and I don't have to worry about it the rest of the day and another is that I am usually the only one in the gym - which is great. Also, it makes it so that nothing else gets in my way the rest of the day.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    On a late shift (14:30 - 21:30) I go before work normally in the morning. On an early shift (07:30 - 14:30) I go about an hour maybe two after I finish.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I don't work out in the morning, then it will not happen. I have to be to work at 7 am so I wake up at 4:45, get everything ready and leave the house about 5:15. I get to the gym about 5:45 and work out till 6:20 then head to the locker room. When I work out on the weekends (which isn't every weekend) I go whenever the daycare is open at the gym. So, 8:30 am-1pm on Saturdays, and 1pm-5pm on Sundays.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The best to exercise is when you do it. As long as you give 100% the time of day does not matter. I use to feel bad that I couldn't get up with the chickens to workout. I only worked out after work; until a friend of mine told me that she admires that after working an 8 hour work day I can go workout after work. I have been doing it since Jun 2011 and lost 100+ pounds.
  • UncreativeMe123
    UncreativeMe123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For me it really depends on the activity. Yoga in the morning upon waking is a must, and I know I won't get it done any other time. Cardio has to be early as possible in the afternoon (2pm ideally, but if I was working now, I'd go RIGHT after work, otherwise it interferes with my sleep). Now regarding sleep, once I am working, I could probably pull off swimming in the evening (let's say 7:30 or 8pm), since it doesn't amp me up as much as other cardio. So basically, just try to figure out how different exercises affect you, and then fit it in your schedule based on your needs.
  • winram11
    winram11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As stated before, there's no golden hour that's good for exercise. ANY exercise is better than NO exercise, so anything you do, at any time, is good.

The real struggle is to find some time that works for your personal schedule. For example, if you're not an early riser, the idea of waking up early to squeeze in some exercise has a lower chance of long term success because it really doesn't fit your lifestyle. It's easy to make excuses for things that don't fit naturally. So if you start down this path, make it a time of day that has longevity first.

As a personal example, thanks to work and kids, the only time I could really exercise was after 8pm. The "common wisdom" out there was that late-night exercise is bad because exercise in general tends to boost people awake. I've not found that to be true at all, at least that I can be asleep within 90 minutes of being done. And to the points above, late night is great at the gym when it's less crowded. If you get tired after dinner, and that's a good time for you, you might want to consider what you're eating - a low mix of protein/carbs can drop your energy level considerably, so there's opportunity there.

Also when you do exercise, minimum of 30 minutes and something that doesn't kill you is best. There's always more difficult, but you should feel like you made an effort at the end. Sweat is success! I started with 1 mile of walking at a slow pace, now I'm up to 3.5 miles of walking at a 6+% incline, most days. It's all about heart rate and difficulty.

All those points above should give you a plan for how and when you want to tackle this. Hope it helps.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    And on the reverse side of this, as in Calories in, it doesn't matter what time of day you eat.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's best to lift weights at 11:20am but only on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. It's best to do cardio between 5:30pm and 7:30pm in the evening.

So true. I've started lifting at 11:30 instead of 11:20 and haven't had any gains for months...
  • Reneesjourney2bfit
    Reneesjourney2bfit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I worked out once in the morning and I realized I can't do morning workouts, for some reason I get extremely sick. Maybe, I pushed myself too hard that day or something (normally workout 60-90+ mins) but, after I left that day I felt sick at my stomach all day long...and it was the normal stuff I do every day. So, I just stick to my evening and night workouts, never have a problem. I guess, that was my bodies way of telling me, keep you butt in bed and get more sleep. lol
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I prefer running in the evenings (7-9pm) - first of all I am not a morning person, second - it's usually cooler, and third - it helps me to erase all the day thoughts and worries. However,once a week I wake up before 6am to get to the pool - it's the only time of the day which works for me and swimming is one of my favorite exercises, so it's not that difficult to motivate myself to get out of bed...
  • hansmdude
    hansmdude Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    NOW!!