CARBS!!! Please help!

Options
2»

Replies

• cclepew
    cclepew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For three days, I have logged my meals. Carbs are almost 40% of my daily intake. What are some suggestions to cut down my daily intake?

I'm diabetic and have MFP set at 15% carbs, or 45g. Counting out the fiber, I'm usually around 20-30g net carbs a day. Most of my carbs come from non-starchy vegetables. I really can't tolerate going much lower, but this level works for me. It keeps my blood sugar down, improves my cholesterol, and manages hunger (no spike-and-crash roller coaster from eating carbs and then craving more because I'm suddenly starving).

That works for me, but would be too extreme for someone without a real medical reason for limiting carbs.

I would suggest eating more non-starchy vegetables with every meal. Cut back on fruit. Skip the bread/rice/pasta/potato with one meal each day to start. Cream-based sauces/dressings tend to have fewer carbs, but always READ LABELS ON EVERYTHING. Good old oil and vinegar (not balsamic) is an ideal salad dressing. Mustard generally has little or no carb, but ketchup is full of it. Again, read nutrition labels on everything. Pre-made foods are often full of sugar for no good nutritional reason.

Consider joining the Low Carber Daily Forum for great low-carb advice and a less hostile environment. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group