Does anyone have a fix for stress that isn't food?

Options
I've been having the worst week at work.

Yesterday I finally caved and took my cheat day (I give myself 1 day every 2 weeks to a month where I don't follow any of my goals... though it's mostly supposed to be for the reality check). I had only made it 2 weeks and 2 days though. :( I don't really feel bad about it; I didn't go overboard. Just two cookies and a piece of chocolate, and I probably still had a deficit for the day, though I didn't finish logging once I decided to take the cheat day.

In the end, I'm not upset about the cheat day yesterday. In fact, I think it was the most "successful" one I've had so far. However, what the heck do I do now with the rest of this terrible work week?

Exercising usually emphasizes my mood, whatever it is, but it does make me feel better later so I'm still doing that. I also like to read or watch a really good movie, but it's been hard with how busy I have been. What do you guys use besides food to improve your mood?

Replies

• Jessikin13
    Jessikin13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yoga. Or a run. It really helps me clear my mind
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I take a nice long walk or go on a hike. Being outside and moving is good for clearing things up for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Hit the bag. For me it's always been my "positive" release if I feel stress is high. Nowadays I hardly ever get stressed at all................except when I drive. And relief for that comes from my ranting in the vehicle at every driver while I drive. :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Run, walk, or lift weights.
    Go outside and play with my dogs.
    Snuggle with my dogs.
    Spend time doing a hobby I enjoy (gardening, sewing, painting, crochet, baking, etc.).
    Spend time with my spouse.
    Hang out with friends.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm in the running or swimming camp for stress release. I also like beer, but that won't help you. lol
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    A nice long trail run works for me. No headphones, just myself and nature.
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    - Get a manicure / pedicure
    - Get together with a friend
    - Snuggle
    - Dance to favorite songs
    - Go for a walk
    - Do a puzzle
    - Clean my house

I'm sorry you are having a tough week!! Hope you have a great weekend to reward you!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Running. And singing. Sounds stupid, but if a run doesn't fix my mood, singing a couple of songs almost always makes me feel better. :flowerforyou: I hope you find something that helps.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Living Room Dance Party
  • scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hot bath with music. and of course no distractions.
  • aroberts19
    aroberts19 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Taking a hot bath can relax you. I like to dim the light and listen to thunderstorm sounds. Finding a hobby you enjoy could also help deal with your stress. Good luck in finding what works for you. :smile:
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I count my blessings. Every time I start feeling really bad, I make a conscious effort to just stop for a minute and think of three things that I am grateful for or happy about (and no repeating the same three things every time). It is easy to get overwhelmed by the bad things so I make the effort to, just for a minute, take a deep breath and focus on the good parts of my life.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Wine.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My suggestion will make you go blind. Or so my mom told me growing up.
  • cshankes
    cshankes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A walk works for me, but sometimes when a craving hits that just cannot be ignored, I will have just a little of it. Recently it was a concrete shake from Culvers. I had a mini instead of a larger size, vanilla instead of chocolate (it saves a few calories I found out) with crushed peanut butter cups.
  • MoonyEby
    MoonyEby Posts: 1
    Options
    I drink rum and diet coke......but that's not very healthy.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    Running. And singing. Sounds stupid, but if a run doesn't fix my mood, singing a couple of songs almost always makes me feel better. :flowerforyou: I hope you find something that helps.

work out, or lock myself in the car, turn the radio up as loud as it will go and try to be heard over the speakers. I call it "constructive screaming." ;) I start with something really hard, screamy, then slowly but surely switch over to funny/silly songs. try feeling all ugh-status while singing along to "what does the fox say?" ;)

just let it out!
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    That's the cr**piest sounding 'cheat day' I've ever heard of. If you're going to cheat, you may as well have a cheat meal a bit more frequently than your cheat day.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    egrant13 wrote: »
    Exercising usually emphasizes my mood, whatever it is, but it does make me feel better later so I'm still doing that.

I kind of lingered over this and wondered if we're having the same experience but perceiving it differently. My mind wanders all over the place when I run. It's my favorite part, actually. Sometimes I'm surprised how much aggression comes up, and I wonder where the heck that came from. E.g. I might imagine a future scenario where someone does me wrong and anger energy works up and out. Or sometimes it's a current point of conflict that the scenarios revolve around. My perception is that running is helping me get this aggressive energy OUT, and is helpful for that. In the last half mile, I reflect on where my mind went and what that tells me. You know, honestly, sometimes it is just hormones! But I think of it as releasing, not emphasizing. Does that make any sense?
  • shellym1167
    shellym1167 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym.. NOT JIM.. 0:) if i cant get to the gym i get on my bike and ride for a good long time. I had one of those days last week. grrrr