smoothies good or bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• bobbiecordero92
    Options
    Yeah if there low calorie and filling. I want to start having them for breakfast as there healthy and filling want to try out some with just fruit and nothing else. As I usually eat cards for breakfast and I have been having trouble finding something I like that fills me up that's low calorie.

Having a smoothie with just fruit is just another form of having carbs for breakfast. And if it works for you, there's nothing wrong with that -- but you're just swapping one type of carb for another.

I personally find that eating just fruit -- whether it is whole or in a smoothie -- for breakfast leaves me starving. Adding fat and protein to a smoothie gives me a feeling of satiety. But some people enjoy it. You can experiment for find what works for you.

I know what your saying but surely eating just fruit for breakfast is better than a bowl of cereal or 2 slices of toast??

Better in what way?

If you're talking about calories, you can easily consume more with just fruit. If you're talking about satiety, it could easily provide less (depending, of course, on the type of cereal or bread used for the toast). If we're talking nutrients, it depends on what you plan on eating the rest of the day.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a smoothie. I actually eat one almost every day. But I don't think it is "better" than a bowl of cereal or toast. It's just a different food.

Better in a health aspect and as for calories I wouldn't make a high kcal smoothie I'd rather eat a bar of chocolate than waste my calories on fruit lol I guess what I'm trying to say is that will it help with my weight loss if I eat the same as I do now but replace my breakfast with a low kcal smoothie and is it better to eat fruit than man made carbs
  • bobbiecordero92
    Options
    Yeah if there low calorie and filling. I want to start having them for breakfast as there healthy and filling want to try out some with just fruit and nothing else. As I usually eat cards for breakfast and I have been having trouble finding something I like that fills me up that's low calorie.

But if you do them with just fruit, that's basically all carbs. That's basically a fruit juice, lol.

For them to be more filling, you can use milk, yogurt, almonds, nuts, peanut butter, PB2, ground flaxseed, cocoa powder, oats, protein powder... etc :)

Thank you for the tips
  • bobbiecordero92
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Two bananas and skim milk is way over 150 calories. Probably more like 275.

Smoothies are delicious, but aren't something I do regularly - too many calories and not enough substance to keep me from feeling hungry in a half hour.

I agree that the calories seem low. Even small bananas come in at 90 calories each. 50 ml of semi skimmed milk adds around 25. So the shake is easily 200 calories if the bananas are actually "small."

I used skimmed milk not that it makes a huge difference but still 200kcal for a meal is not bad
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the occasional smoothie (mine are usually 1/2-2/3 veggie, the rest fruit and maybe a few nuts, blended in coconut water), but I don't have them every day. Just when I want a quick on the go meal. My fav dessert smoothie is milk, banana, strawberries and/or raspberries and ice.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Having a smoothie with just fruit is just another form of having carbs for breakfast. And if it works for you, there's nothing wrong with that -- but you're just swapping one type of carb for another.

I personally find that eating just fruit -- whether it is whole or in a smoothie -- for breakfast leaves me starving. Adding fat and protein to a smoothie gives me a feeling of satiety. But some people enjoy it. You can experiment for find what works for you.

I know what your saying but surely eating just fruit for breakfast is better than a bowl of cereal or 2 slices of toast??

Better in what way?

If you're talking about calories, you can easily consume more with just fruit. If you're talking about satiety, it could easily provide less (depending, of course, on the type of cereal or bread used for the toast). If we're talking nutrients, it depends on what you plan on eating the rest of the day.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a smoothie. I actually eat one almost every day. But I don't think it is "better" than a bowl of cereal or toast. It's just a different food.

Better in a health aspect and as for calories I wouldn't make a high kcal smoothie I'd rather eat a bar of chocolate than waste my calories on fruit lol I guess what I'm trying to say is that will it help with my weight loss if I eat the same as I do now but replace my breakfast with a low kcal smoothie and is it better to eat fruit than man made carbs

It will help your weight loss if the smoothie is less than the calories you would have had otherwise and you don't replace them with other things during the day.

Fruit is tasty and it has some great nutrients. But having "man made carbs" won't slow down your weight loss -- it's just a matter of creating a calorie deficit. Grains are not "man made" any more than fruit -- human intervention has created the fruits we eat today as much as it created the grains we eat today.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    I enjoy the occasional smoothie (mine are usually 1/2-2/3 veggie, the rest fruit and maybe a few nuts, blended in coconut water), but I don't have them every day. Just when I want a quick on the go meal. My fav dessert smoothie is milk, banana, strawberries and/or raspberries and ice.

Mine is chocolate soy milk, a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter. It's something like 400 calories but oh soooo good!

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I love using half an avocado in my smoothies- make them so thick and creamy yum!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I use bananas sparingly in my smoothies. 100g banana (which to me is on the small side) contains 23g carb, 1g protein and 12g sugar. I beef up my smoothies with a 1/2 scoop of protein powder and 1/2 cup greek yogurt and 1/2 cup skim milk in addition to any fruit or other additions. You're still talking about 275-300 calories, though. I use them strictly to mix up my diet and get a little protein boost.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options

But if you do them with just fruit, that's basically all carbs. That's basically a fruit juice, lol.

For them to be more filling, you can use milk, yogurt, almonds, nuts, peanut butter, PB2, ground flaxseed, cocoa powder, oats, protein powder... etc :)

Thank you for the tips

Glad to help. If you're trying to stay within a tight deficit, you can use skim milk (instead of whole), greek yogurt, unsweetened cocoa powder (really kicks the flavor UP and has very few calories... you just have to sweeten it up with stevia or something). Almonds have fewer calories than walnuts, PB2 has fewer calories than regular peanut butter. For taste you can add instant coffee, cinnamon, etc. The fruits I like to add most are bananas (for consistency) and blueberries, raspberries and strawberries (all low cal and super smoothie friendly). I sometimes add 1 tbsp on ground falxseed for fats (which help satisfy you longer). ...Don't put all these ingredients in one smoothie though, lol
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't label it good or bad, as food is food, and most of it is all okay in moderation. I have a smoothie a couple times a week. It's an easy breakfast on mornings where I'm in a rush, and I prepare ziplock bags on Sunday night to ease the process. I find it's a good way to get in some foods I might not normally eat, and it's also a good way to use up any fruits and veggies in the kitchen that are nearing their expiration date. My smoothie yesterday morning was an organic beet, half a banana, a quarter of an avocado, some pineapple, a cup of soy milk, organic spinach, and a little whey protein powder. Full of quality ingredients and enough sustenance to get me to my mid-morning snack.