Alcohol

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I recently read a study about this topic. What alcoholic beverage gives you the best buzz per calorie? Not best buzz for the price. Not the lowest calorie beverage (it doesn't have much alcohol). We're talking biggest alcohol bang per calorie.

I would have thought that straight 80 proof booze would be the winner. But it's not. It's sparkling wine/champaigne. You want a low calorie buzz, the bubbly is the way to go. Next best is straight liquor (maybe cut with water or on the rocks if you prefer).

Here is the article if you're interested:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/03/28/the-wonkblog-guide-to-efficient-drinking/

I knew there was another reason why I like my bubbly!

• fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Rum.....any rum.....with Diet / zero ginger ale........bit of lime if you have it.......pissed on pop.....its great....
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    91oKfaJ9jkL._SX425SX425_SY394_CR,0,0,425,394_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_SX425_SY394_CR,0,0,425,394_SH20_.jpg
    mixed with this
    img-the-bar-collection-_0148_ciroc-pineapple.png

YASSSS!
  • stephjackmom
    stephjackmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Diet 7up or Diet Sprite with Burnett's Citrus Vodka
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If it weren't for alcohol, I probably would naturally lose the vanity lbs. I can never get rid of.

With wine, I prefer to stick to dryer wines. They tend to be less calorie-dense and also less chance of the dreaded hangover.

I like most kinds of beer, but if your trying to limit your intake but still want a buzz, I'd recommend Guinness or any beer with a higher alcohol content.

Lastly, I agree that single shots of clear-spirits would be your best bet for getting the most buzz for your buck.

Cheers!

Guinness actually has a fairly low percentage of alcohol (I think around 4%). Also, the higher the percentage, the higher the calories, when it comes to beers (generally speaking).
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Just drink your *kitten* and stop worrying about calories. Drinking is bad enough as it is and you're wanting to make sure to limit calories as it is? why drink at all? lol
  • qwikstreet
    qwikstreet Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »
    Rum.....any rum.....with Diet / zero ginger ale........bit of lime if you have it.......pissed on pop.....its great....

Capt and Ginger is one of my go tos. I do love my beer especially with dinner but it really tips the calorie scale when you are watching what you are eating at the end of your day. Reed's Ginger Brew has minimal calories and a lot less sugar than the mainstream ginger ales.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Neither beer nor wine are solely responsible for a belly or any other problem area. Overall Calorie intake, other dietary issues/choices, and exercise volume are what ultimately cause or fix such problems.

I dont gain any weight and enjoy beer and wine in MODERATION a few nights per week or on the weekends. Fit them into your macros and dont go slamming a 6 pack or a bottle of wine every night. You'll be fine..unless the other items I mentioned are "off". ;)
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If it weren't for alcohol, I probably would naturally lose the vanity lbs. I can never get rid of.

With wine, I prefer to stick to dryer wines. They tend to be less calorie-dense and also less chance of the dreaded hangover.

I like most kinds of beer, but if your trying to limit your intake but still want a buzz, I'd recommend Guinness or any beer with a higher alcohol content.

Lastly, I agree that single shots of clear-spirits would be your best bet for getting the most buzz for your buck.

Cheers!

Guinness actually has a fairly low percentage of alcohol (I think around 4%). Also, the higher the percentage, the higher the calories, when it comes to beers (generally speaking).

YUP. Guinness is low-alcohol, high-price and not-so-low calorie. You must be imagining things because it tastes so dark.
  • Exegi_Corpus
    Exegi_Corpus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I cheat with scotch occasionally and consider it a boost :p
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    I cheat with scotch occasionally and consider it a boost :p

I find that alcohol leads to cheating for a lot of people. Maybe you're just not happy?
  • bigandstripy
    bigandstripy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My big problem with booze is that I drink unquantified amounts in the house. I am trying to generally drink less and not think I MUST drink alcohol to have fun or be social, but I'm hoping to stop drinking in the house and restrict booze to when I am out with friends. I'm less likely to binge when I have to pay London bar prices.
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I do rum and diet coke or gin and tonic with lemon and orange wedges. Also a lot of menus are now offering "skinny" drinks.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    What do you want more? Alcohol? Or your Results? Question I had to answer to get to where I wanted to be.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Red beer with low sodium veggie juice and lemon is very good because the high potassium to sodium helps not to retain water and reduces the after day beer belly and overall lower calorie because the tendency is to drink less.
  • tortillasandbologna
    tortillasandbologna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Whiskey. Neat. Every damn day.

My sentiments exactly.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    What do you want more? Alcohol? Or your Results? Question I had to answer to get to where I wanted to be.

I want (and have) both. I drink whiskey. The good stuff (Scotch) neat or a splash of water. The cheap stuff (Jim Beam) mixed with zero cal energy drink or Diet Coke. Or wine. I like wine. I like beer, too. And my fitness goals are getting met, too.