LEAN IT UP! (Memorial Day 2015 Challenge)

Options

Replies

• unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty frustrated with my weight. It keeps shifting up and down a good 3 pounds, which I know is normal and also due to sodium or water weight from sore muscles but I feel like it's been "shiftier" than usual.

I've been very consistent with exercising, so I think I really need to double down on my diet. Usually at this point of "getting serious" I'm consistently losing at least 1/2 a pound per week if not more. I think part of it is I've been eating more salty foods than usual and not quite as cleanly as I should. And the other part is I'd really slacked on exercise, and I'm working on building muscle again.

I'm trying not to get too discouraged but I am a little. I took measurements and photos so in another two weeks it will be a month and I'll re-measure and hopefully see some changes.

TL/DR I'm not losing very quickly (or at all). My weight keeps shifting a lot and it's driving me mad.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    that can be super frustrating! Maybe adjust your food intake a bit or just admit you need a break from the calorie restriction that is needed for consistent weight loss. I try to look at "not gaining" as another form of success so I don't just give up and stop tracking and exercising. I will eat at or around maintenance for long periods of time, like months and then work hard at weight loss for a month or two, then go back to maintenance and over a year I've lost quite a bit, actually.

I'm realizing that I have a lot of weight to lose and I can't eat at a deficit for months on end without starting to get pissed off and hungry. My main goal right now is not to give up.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    132.5 thanks Op
  • lycheenmango
    lycheenmango Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    @Iknewyouweretrouble - done :)

I didn't lose any pounds this week but I am happy that I am getting my to my routine :)
  • unhgoose
    Options
    that can be super frustrating! Maybe adjust your food intake a bit or just admit you need a break from the calorie restriction that is needed for consistent weight loss.

Thanks...I think part of my problem is I've been using a fitbit and trusting in some of the calories they give me. I just need to eat less. When I was losing before I was eating half the exercise calories back (and sometimes I'd all of them if I was having a really hungry day). I've been eating them all back lately because the fitbit gave me even more calories on top of the work out calories (I don't wear my fitbit when I do DVDs, so they are really additional steps/activity).

I'm probably just eating too much overall. I'm going to try and tighten up everything, be more strict with logging and giving myself treats. I know I can do it.

Thanks for the encouragement!
  • cosmichvoyager
    Options
    that happens to me too.
    Exercise gives you those extra calories to eat but then sometimes I feel even more hungry if I exercise enough to be getting sweaty...so I'm trying to figure out the balance of intensity and appetite.
    I'm experimenting with eating something fatty like a half avocado right before I workout and then a low fat high protein snack such as a piece of chicken or baked tofu right after.
  • lycheenmango
    Options
    I have increased my workout sessions as well as my carb intake (as I was taking in very small amounts of carbs before) .... and I gained about 2-3 pounds in a week :/ I don't know if its water weight, weight because of the carbs or just something else. But I am gonna trust the fact that I am doing things right and hopefully in increases or fat% I will see the results in a few weeks!
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    that happens to me too.
    Exercise gives you those extra calories to eat but then sometimes I feel even more hungry if I exercise enough to be getting sweaty...so I'm trying to figure out the balance of intensity and appetite.
    I'm experimenting with eating something fatty like a half avocado right before I workout and then a low fat high protein snack such as a piece of chicken or baked tofu right after.
    weight lifting helped me w/appetite problems from cardio. good luck!
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    I have increased my workout sessions as well as my carb intake (as I was taking in very small amounts of carbs before) .... and I gained about 2-3 pounds in a week :/ I don't know if its water weight, weight because of the carbs or just something else. But I am gonna trust the fact that I am doing things right and hopefully in increases or fat% I will see the results in a few weeks!
    sounds like you're doing the right things keep going I'm sure the results will happen!

• unhgoose
    Options
    I hurt my back last weekend and with all the muscle relaxers and pain pills my body is definitely "off." So I'm hanging steady at 160...a pound up from my starting weight. Doh!

But I've been really good at staying under 1400 calories this week and I should be able to get back to some light exercise next week. So I'm really hoping to see a good drop once my body is healed and back to normal. I've really been trying to stay on point with my diet so hopefully it will pay off.

Good thing the end of this challenge is still pretty far away!
  • cosmichvoyager
    Options
    bumping this! Are you guys still trying to reach goals? I can see from the spreadsheet that this week is my TOM bloating time so I'm unlikely to lose any "weight" but I'm still going to do my kettlebell class, track food and try to stay positive.
  • lycheenmango
    Options
    Yep still tracking to reach the goals! I have changed my workouts and diet quite a bit ... so not losing at the same pace but I am still hopeful in terms of inches.

• unhgoose
    Options
    I'm still logging too. And my back is feeling better so I'm adding exercising back in.
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would like to be a part of this. I know it's late, but I need to lose some weight. I'm 5'4", 123 lbs. Goal weight 113 lbs for Memorial Day. Let's keep it going afterwards. My ultimate goal weight for July 4 is 103 lbs. Please help me stay motivated.
  • lycheenmango
    Options
    @unhgoose - Nice :)

@breathless575 - Welcome!!!
  • unhgoose
    Options
    My scale is broken - awesomely it said I was up 40 lbs the other day. Now that amount I can laugh off. :smiley:

I bought new batteries and it's still way off. So I'll be weighing in again sometime this weekend when I get a new one. And this one I think I'll hide in my bedroom so my kids can't weigh themselves all day long / trip over it / break it. They're only 3 and 6 and LOVE that thing.
  • unhgoose
    Options
    My scale is broken - awesomely it said I was up 40 lbs the other day. Now that amount I can laugh off. :smiley:

I bought new batteries and it's still way off. So I'll be weighing in again sometime this weekend when I get a new one. And this one I think I'll hide in my bedroom so my kids can't weigh themselves all day long / trip over it / break it. They're only 3 and 6 and LOVE that thing.
  • lycheenmango
    Options
    @unhgoose - Haha, well good luck with the new machine ... hide it well :) I weighed myself... still at 144 but my clothes are getting a little lose so yay!
  • cosmichvoyager
    Options
    I am almost at the goal I set! 3.4 pounds down...goal is 4 down. I think I can manage that within the next few weeks. I <3 attainable goals, lol.
  • unhgoose
    Options
    @cosmichvoyager Congratulations! That's great. :smile:

I got a scale and this morning I'm at 159.8 - which is up .2 from where I started. :-P But I've been pretty careful about what I've been eating and have been really active so I'm hoping to see some positive changes when I take some pictures and new measurements.

Even if the scale hasn't moved much I've been feeling really good so that counts for something.