Any brave bulkers willing to help with visuals?

Options
I would love to see some pre and post bulk pic to help with the mental side of bulking.

Also if you would add how long you bulked for and the rate you gained at that would be helpful.

It would be most helpful for me to see female bulkers, but men feel free to add as well I'm sure many will find your results and experience helpful.

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    mmmm I can maybe submit some later since all of my prog pics are saved on my at home computer.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    mmmm I can maybe submit some later since all of my prog pics are saved on my at home computer.

That would be great!
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Anyway, I took a very slow approach.

167 lbs to 200 lbs over 61 weeks approximately.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Most of my progress photos are in my bulking blog in my profile.

I gained 10lbs (121-131lbs) over 4.5 months, so just over 2lbs per month.
  • never2bstopped
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Was this your first bulk?
    I'm on my phone so can't get at your profile. Will you post a link for me?
    Would you say your bulk was short, average or long?

Did you at any point find yourself losing weight for a week or two and needing to adjust your cals?
  • never2bstopped
    Options

Thats a long time! Did it ever mess with your head, or was the gain slow enough that there wasn't any real bf gain to see?
  • sardelsa
    edited April 2015
    Options

Did you at any point find yourself losing weight for a week or two and needing to adjust your cals?

No prob here is the link: https://sardelsa.wordpress.com/

My bulk was average length I would say. I wouldn't say losing, but not gaining. I weighed everyday so I was pretty aware of fluctuations and I knew when I was hitting plateaus and had to increase, it was a bit of trial and error. I started at around 2900 cals and ended up around 3300 by the end of my bulk.

ETA: Sorry yes, this was my first bulk!
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Thats a long time! Did it ever mess with your head, or was the gain slow enough that there wasn't any real bf gain to see?

Uhm, I mean a little bit. I just kept reminding myself that it was for the greater good and at the end of the day I'm still not fat, even at 200 lbs. Sure, my bf% is higher than when I was at my leanest, but I'm still in the "athletic range".
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I bulked for 16 months and went from 155 (stage weight, glycogen depleted) to 200 pounds. I don't have any after pictures yet because I'm just barely into the cut. I gained more fat than I should have, but I'm just outside of the fitness range. I'm estimating my stage weight in November will be just under 170 pounds (I'm 5'9").
  • never2bstopped
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I bulked for 16 months and went from 155 (stage weight, glycogen depleted) to 200 pounds. I don't have any after pictures yet because I'm just barely into the cut. I gained more fat than I should have, but I'm just outside of the fitness range. I'm estimating my stage weight in November will be just under 170 pounds (I'm 5'9").

When I say after bulk I am meaning before cutting back down. I am trying to wrap my head around the gaining fat part of the bulk.

I have seen many pre bulk and post bulk/cut to know the benefits are amazing. I just want to see the "ugly duckling" stage of the process to mentally prepare.
  • never2bstopped
    Options

No prob here is the link: https://sardelsa.wordpress.com/

My bulk was average length I would say. I wouldn't say losing, but not gaining. I weighed everyday so I was pretty aware of fluctuations and I knew when I was hitting plateaus and had to increase, it was a bit of trial and error. I started at around 2900 cals and ended up around 3300 by the end of my bulk.

ETA: Sorry yes, this was my first bulk!

That's beautiful! I am not as lean as you were when you started. I fact I am only almost as lean as your end pic, so I may try to drop below 18% before I start this.
  • usmcmp
    Options

When I say after bulk I am meaning before cutting back down. I am trying to wrap my head around the gaining fat part of the bulk.

I have seen many pre bulk and post bulk/cut to know the benefits are amazing. I just want to see the "ugly duckling" stage of the process to mentally prepare.

Here are my very unflattering post bulk/pre cut pictures. The ones in the link are purposefully not flexing at all and wearing very tight undies.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/permalink/progress-photo/usmcmp/61603572
  • never2bstopped
    Options

Here are my very unflattering post bulk/pre cut pictures. The ones in the link are purposefully not flexing at all and wearing very tight undies.

Thankyou for that!!!! :heart:

That is the stage I need to prepare for and know that getting there isn't failure but just a step in the transformation!
  • usmcmp
    Options

That is the stage I need to prepare for and know that getting there isn't failure but just a step in the transformation!

You don't have to go THAT far. I just wasn't ready to cut, so I kept going. You can do a shorter and much leaner bulk than I did. LolBroScience is still very lean and our bulks were the same length. It's the difference in tracking accurately and actually sticking with your surplus. I used the bulk to fix my binge eating issues.
  • never2bstopped
    Options

You don't have to go THAT far. I just wasn't ready to cut, so I kept going. You can do a shorter and much leaner bulk than I did. LolBroScience is still very lean and our bulks were the same length. It's the difference in tracking accurately and actually sticking with your surplus. I used the bulk to fix my binge eating issues.

I understand, but it is helpful for a former fat kid to see that even if the fat comes back to some extent it isn't the end of the world. I truly appreciate both examples that have been posted.

It is good to know that bulking can be done lean and bring results but it is also good to see an aggressive bulk and all that comes with it.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I understand, but it is helpful for a former fat kid to see that even if the fat comes back to some extent it isn't the end of the world. I truly appreciate both examples that have been posted.

It is good to know that bulking can be done lean and bring results but it is also good to see an aggressive bulk and all that comes with it.

As a member of the former fat (and currently fat again) club, it is slightly tough seeing the weight come back. My body composition is MUCH different at 200 pounds this time than it was last time. Starting the cut was hard for me, but once I actually started it's been easier to stick to. You also are going into the cut with significantly more knowledge than the first time you lost weight.
  • never2bstopped
    Options

As a member of the former fat (and currently fat again) club, it is slightly tough seeing the weight come back. My body composition is MUCH different at 200 pounds this time than it was last time. Starting the cut was hard for me, but once I actually started it's been easier to stick to. You also are going into the cut with significantly more knowledge than the first time you lost weight.

• usmcmp
    Options

It was. It took me 3 years to lose weight the first time. I didn't have enough time between bodybuilding shows to bulk (May to October), but I did manage some recomposition.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your info. @sardelsa your blog entry is really helpful. I’m working towards a bulk, once I lose a bit more fat, and it’s amazingly useful to see how other people have gone about it. I’m super excited to get to that part: I want to see my lifts take off :smiley:

Also, I now want a nice big steak. OP, I blame you :p .

P.S. @sardelsa I hope you don’t mind me saying that it blows my mind how many awesome calories you eat on your plan. I’m 3” shorter at 133 and eat 1000 calories less (about 1300). I don’t even know how that’s possible, but it’s Awesome.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Thank you all for sharing your info. @sardelsa your blog entry is really helpful. I’m working towards a bulk, once I lose a bit more fat, and it’s amazingly useful to see how other people have gone about it. I’m super excited to get to that part: I want to see my lifts take off :smiley:

Also, I now want a nice big steak. OP, I blame you :p .

P.S. @sardelsa I hope you don’t mind me saying that it blows my mind how many awesome calories you eat on your plan. I’m 3” shorter at 133 and eat 1000 calories less (about 1300). I don’t even know how that’s possible, but it’s Awesome.

Thanks @Emilia777. I wasn't always easy mentally, but all in all it was exciting and bulking helped conquer any residing fear of food mentality. Gaining those 10lbs didn't happen overnight or by accident, and seeing the difference in composition eating at surplus coupled with heavy lifting.. 'twas a beautiful thing :)