Robertus wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm sure all you think this is a crazy plan ...
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Ok, so please explain to all of us "naysayers" how this is going to accomplish a 20lb loss in 4 weeks. I'd be interested to see the calculations you are using to support this.
    3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is--the more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course--but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way.

Here's how I lost 60 lbs in 3 months:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10130043/60-lbs-in-3-months#latest

And I am very healthy, very fit, and my doctor is totally on board with my focus on fitness first.

I have a feeling that the OP is maybe about 20 Lbs overweight and she thinks she's going to lose all of that in 4 weeks. I can't believe that you're actually irresponsible enough to tell her this is actually a good idea. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    We know her goal is to lose 20 lbs. We don't know that she is only 20 lbs overweight. I am not ashamed of myself and I did not tell her it is a good idea. In fact, I recommended that she make sure to make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Why after the wedding rather than starting NOW?

How do you propose she safely create the necessary deficit to lose that much weight in such a short period of time?

There is no way for her to safely create the necessary deficit.
    Why do you think that this deficit is necessarily unsafe?

You-Are-Really-Dumb-Antoine-Dodson-Gif.gif
    Why not just answer my question and we can have serious discussion about what is and what is not safe and why.

Correct if I'm wrong, but:

You said she's got to eat enough to give her sufficient nutrients. Let's say that's 1,200 a day. @MireyGal76 calculated that she needs a deficit of about 2,400 a day. So you're saying that she somehow needs to exercise enough to burn off an extra 2,400 calories a day? How on Earth is anyone meant to manage that while still living a normal life? And how do you think that eating 1,200 calories a day will give her enough energy to do this?
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

If she's aiming for a 5lb/week loss, then telling her to go ahead and do this while touting things like nutrition, eating enough and aiming for more fat than muscle loss is contradictory.

So basically, you're kind of a hypocrite for calling other people naysayers when your advice, ultimately, mirrors theirs as well.
    It is not contradictory. She needs enough nutrition to sustain her work-outs. She does not need enough calories to sustain her current weight.

Could you please break that down in calories? What is enough nutrition to sustain her work-outs but not her current weight?
    This is why I recommend that she work with a nutritionist. I can't break it down in detail for her. In general, I will say that if her work-outs are directed toward increasing fitness and not merely burning a maximum amount of calories for weight loss, enough nutrition and enough rest are achieved when her work-outs are able to increase in intensity, ie, longer distances, better times, increased strength to lift heavier weights.
    As others have said, she would need a 2300 calorie deficit per day to lose 20 pounds in 4 weeks. A 150-pound 5’7” 23-year old woman would burn about 2400 calories per day, with exercising 5 times a week (according to IIFYM TDEE calculator). How exactly do you propose this 2300 calorie deficit be achieved? Is 100 calories of food per day enough nutrition? I’m just confused. I think you mean well, but consider for a second what you’re saying - it’s just not feasible.
    Is she 5'7" and 150 lbs? I did not see that yet. Her physician and nutritionist can better evaluate how much stored fat she has and what her nutritional needs are.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd make sure my clothes fit (or wear spanx under my dress), and then drink the whole weekend, including on the beach. Then I wouldn't care whether I was "fat" or not.

Not necessarily healthy... but I'd have fun!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Ok, so please explain to all of us "naysayers" how this is going to accomplish a 20lb loss in 4 weeks. I'd be interested to see the calculations you are using to support this.
    3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is--the more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course--but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10130043/60-lbs-in-3-months#latest

And I am very healthy, very fit, and my doctor is totally on board with my focus on fitness first.

I have a feeling that the OP is maybe about 20 Lbs overweight and she thinks she's going to lose all of that in 4 weeks. I can't believe that you're actually irresponsible enough to tell her this is actually a good idea. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    We know her goal is to lose 20 lbs. We don't know that she is only 20 lbs overweight. I am not ashamed of myself and I did not tell her it is a good idea. In fact, I recommended that she make sure to make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

How do you propose she safely create the necessary deficit to lose that much weight in such a short period of time?

Why not just answer my question and we can have serious discussion about what is and what is not safe and why.

Because there is no serious discussion to be had, and I refuse to allow you to bring me down to your level of idiocy.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    hehe :)

WNYEj9G.gif

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone,

3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is, but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way. The more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course.

Right. That's about a 2300 calories deficit A DAY. And, on top of that, she needs to have the energy required to "focus on fitness." Sorry, no way this is happening in a healthy way no matter how focused she is at the gym or in the kitchen. It's a very aggressive plan that will lead to bingeing in most people.
    Well, of course, she must avoid binging.
    Yeah and the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

I agree with wolfman. You should be ashamed of yourself for giving false hope that this can actually happen without negative repercussions. ESPECIALLY since she only has 25 pounds to lose.
    Her chances of avoiding binging are entirely dependent upon her enthusiasm, dedication, and the strength of her resolve. I am not ashamed of people who have such personal qualities. Following the advice of her physician and nutritionist she can certainly avoid any and all negative repercussions. I am not ashamed of giving her false hope. I do not recommend false hope.

So, now you are saying that someone who can't adhere to this crazy plan isn't enthusiastic or dedicated? Enthusiasm and dedication only go so far when you are STARVING.

But, hey, keep defending yourself. You're just digging a deeper hole.
    I never said any such thing! Please do not misrepresent what I said. She has the motivation. This is her plan. If she can sustain her motivation to do what is necessary in a healthy way, it will be a testament to her enthusiasm, dedication, and the strength of her resolve. Other people have their own plans and are responsible for dedicating themselves appropriately and in accord with their wishes.

tumblr_phoeler-wow.gif

I think you are being intentionally obtuse here. It's really a shame. I used to be on a VLCD. My dedication was AWESOME. I was also anorexic.

There's nothing in the OP that implies she's dedicated to anything long term and sustainable. She'd looking for a crash diet. It's not healthy. Period.
  • philreeduk
    philreeduk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Look into Lyle's Protein Sparing Modified Fast - it isn't a fast but a low cal diet. You'll hit the twenty pound loss - expect to feel like crap and expect to regain it afterwards - it isn't a useful strategy for reasonable weight loss but can be successful for an event when you gotta make weight, like a wedding.

The majority of the loss will be water weight. Maybe a third will be fat loss.

For four weeks, it isn't too unhealthy - but you'll have to be careful to get your micro nutrients. Please do not follow it beyond 6 weeks unless medically supervised.

Most likely you'll regain every lb and then some, so it's a bad idea that will work for the short period.

So there - how to do it with all the caveats. And go!

The sad thing is with this advice is the OP will probably ignore everyone who said this is unrealistic and jump at the one person confirming she can do it :(

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

If she's aiming for a 5lb/week loss, then telling her to go ahead and do this while touting things like nutrition, eating enough and aiming for more fat than muscle loss is contradictory.

So basically, you're kind of a hypocrite for calling other people naysayers when your advice, ultimately, mirrors theirs as well.
    It is not contradictory. She needs enough nutrition to sustain her work-outs. She does not need enough calories to sustain her current weight.

Could you please break that down in calories? What is enough nutrition to sustain her work-outs but not her current weight?
    This is why I recommend that she work with a nutritionist. I can't break it down in detail for her. In general, I will say that if her work-outs are directed toward increasing fitness and not merely burning a maximum amount of calories for weight loss, enough nutrition and enough rest are achieved when her work-outs are able to increase in intensity, ie, longer distances, better times, increased strength to life heavier weights.
    As others have said, she would need a 2300 calorie deficit per day to lose 20 pounds in 4 weeks. A 150-pound 5’7” 23-year old woman would burn about 2400 calories per day, with exercising 5 times a week (according to IIFYM TDEE calculator). How exactly do you propose this 2300 calorie deficit be achieved? Is 100 calories of food per day enough nutrition? I’m just confused. I think you mean well, but consider for a second what you’re saying - it’s just not feasible.
    Is she 5'7" and 150 lbs? I did not see that yet. Her physician and nutritionist can better evaluate how much stored fat she has and what her nutritional needs are.

I chose those numbers as an upper bound on OPs likely daily burns. Other people did the math from the other direction, and that reaches the exact same conclusion - it does not seem possible (and definitely not a good idea) to maintain that kind of deficit for a month. I was just trying to make you see that, but it does not look like you’re convinced. I just hope the OP sees how unhealthy, dangerous, and pointless it would be to follow your advice.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    @robertus... I think the key thing here is that you gave advice to a person that did not fit with their circumstances. You didn't do any type of investigation into her situation (not even a cursory glance into her profile) and instead gave the green-light-thumbs-up "rah rah you can do it" motivational speech.

YOU may have been able to do it. But YOU are not HER. And how YOU achieved your goals is not what is recommended for MOST of the population here. You may have been able to do it, and kudos to you for dropping your weight under the supervision of your doctor, but that does NOT give you the green light to make it seem adviseable for someone else to do so.

Yes you gave the caveat of going to see the doctor and being nutritious, but really? She's not going to do that, and no doctor in their right mind would advocate it either.

Please, be responsible when you hand out your "support". You are the exception, not the rule.

• Robertus
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    she wants to lose 20 pounds
    20pounds * 3500 cals (amt of cals in a pound) = 70,000
    29 days (May 16 - today)

She would need a deficit of 70,000/29=2413.7931 cals per day
    Assuming she stays at 1200 cals, then she would need to burn, on average 1200 calories a day and NOT eat them back. And if that were the case, she would be essentially netting zero.

Is my math wrong?
    Looks right to me.
    If it is, please tell me what I'm messing up.

If it isn't, then PLEASE tell me, @robertus, how that is safe for a 25 year old woman with only 25 extra pounds on her frame to be HEALTHY and survive on that kind of deficit for a whole freaking month.

Perhaps you should also read up on the affects of insanely low calorie intake as it relates to women and their reproductive systems. How it can fvck up menstruation, hormone levels, bone density.

Seriously, back away from the OP, and get the hell off her friend's list. She doesn't need your "support".
    I don't think we know that she only has 25 extra pounds on her frame. We know what her goal is for the next month, but I do not know what her healthy weight should be. She can determine that with the advice of her physician or perhaps she already has. Depending upon how much stored fat energy she has, how effectively she can obtain ketosis, what kind of supplementation she may need, are all variables that should be discussed with her doctor and nutritionist. I think Claudia can choose her own friends.
  • jnicole1721
    jnicole1721 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    20 lbs. I wish you a lot of luck but I wouldn't worry about the scale as much as how you feel and look. I have lost a few pounds but its all in the photos. I still don't feel like I lost weight but MAcros are definately helping my body become more defined.
    I say, like everyone else, get a on a plan you can lose 1 lb a week!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Her physician and nutritionist can better evaluate how much stored fat she has and what her nutritional needs are.

I said this before but you may have missed my question....What on Earth makes you think that a 23 year old looking to shed vanity pounds for her friends wedding so she can rock her bikini and maybe hook up with a groomsman is doing this under the guidance of a physician and/or nutritionist....

• Robertus
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Because there is no serious discussion to be had, and I refuse to allow you to bring me down to your level of idiocy.
    And I refuse to resort to insults so we may not have much to discuss.

• Robertus
    Options
    Hi everyone,

3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is, but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way. The more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course.

Right. That's about a 2300 calories deficit A DAY. And, on top of that, she needs to have the energy required to "focus on fitness." Sorry, no way this is happening in a healthy way no matter how focused she is at the gym or in the kitchen. It's a very aggressive plan that will lead to bingeing in most people.
    Well, of course, she must avoid binging.
    Yeah and the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

I agree with wolfman. You should be ashamed of yourself for giving false hope that this can actually happen without negative repercussions. ESPECIALLY since she only has 25 pounds to lose.
    Her chances of avoiding binging are entirely dependent upon her enthusiasm, dedication, and the strength of her resolve. I am not ashamed of people who have such personal qualities. Following the advice of her physician and nutritionist she can certainly avoid any and all negative repercussions. I am not ashamed of giving her false hope. I do not recommend false hope.

So, now you are saying that someone who can't adhere to this crazy plan isn't enthusiastic or dedicated? Enthusiasm and dedication only go so far when you are STARVING.

But, hey, keep defending yourself. You're just digging a deeper hole.
    I never said any such thing! Please do not misrepresent what I said. She has the motivation. This is her plan. If she can sustain her motivation to do what is necessary in a healthy way, it will be a testament to her enthusiasm, dedication, and the strength of her resolve. Other people have their own plans and are responsible for dedicating themselves appropriately and in accord with their wishes.

tumblr_phoeler-wow.gif

I think you are being intentionally obtuse here. It's really a shame. I used to be on a VLCD. My dedication was AWESOME. I was also anorexic.

There's nothing in the OP that implies she's dedicated to anything long term and sustainable. She'd looking for a crash diet. It's not healthy. Period.
    I did not say that she was dedicated to anything long-term and sustainable. Rather I recommended to her that she develop a plan that is more sustainable in the long term. I am sorry to hear about your anorexia. I am not being intentionally obtuse.

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Look at her picture. You can tell just from her face that she is not morbidly obese.

The only way 20lbs in a month COULD be managed, without extreme damage to a body would be for someone who is morbidly obese.

ergo, this goal is not suited for her.

period.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I don't think we know that she only has 25 extra pounds on her frame. We know what her goal is for the next month, but I do not know what her healthy weight should be. She can determine that with the advice of her physician or perhaps she already has. Depending upon how much stored fat energy she has, how effectively she can obtain ketosis, what kind of supplementation she may need, are all variables that should be discussed with her doctor and nutritionist. I think Claudia can choose her own friends.

Well thats on her ticker as her target weight loss, normally people put their ultimate target as their objective. As you are now on her friends list then just ask her. If she has 25 to lose and wants to lose 80% of that in the next 4 weeks, then thats rather a dramatic loss.

How much of that loss will be fat and how much muscle? Do you know?
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here...
    tumblr_inline_ne1f25QNAu1rgmokl.jpg
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Look at her picture. You can tell just from her face that she is not morbidly obese.

The only way 20lbs in a month COULD be managed, without extreme damage to a body would be for someone who is morbidly obese.

ergo, this goal is not suited for her.

period.

I think at this point he's just arguing because he doesn't want to admit he is wrong.
  • Robertus
    Options
    @robertus... I think the key thing here is that you gave advice to a person that did not fit with their circumstances.
    My advice is to make her focus on fitness and to get the proper amount of rest and nutrition to support that focus. That advice is good for pretty much everyone's circumstances.
    You didn't do any type of investigation into her situation (not even a cursory glance into her profile) and instead gave the green-light-thumbs-up "rah rah you can do it" motivational speech.
    I did look at her profile and her picture. She did not share much information, but I did not assume that she is 25 lbs above her ideal weight, rather I merely took her at word that she has a goal to lose 20 lbs in a month. I did not tell her she can do it. I have no idea if she can do it. I merely recommended the proper approach on how she should try to do it. She may find that she cannot do this in the manner I suggested. She may try to exercise as much as possible, decreasing rather than increasing her fitness, not getting enough rest and nutrition to build fitness. At that point she may be more open to learning more about health and fitness. Or, maybe she will take my advice and not make those typical mistakes.
    YOU may have been able to do it. But YOU are not HER. And how YOU achieved your goals is not what is recommended for MOST of the population here. You may have been able to do it, and kudos to you for dropping your weight under the supervision of your doctor, but that does NOT give you the green light to make it seem adviseable for someone else to do so.
    I never said she can do it because I did it. I did not even bring up my (and my doctor's approach) until someone else asked me about calculations, which I had done as part of my story. And, as I said a the time, I don't know how overweight Claudia is, and that the more overweight she is, the easier it will be for her to achieve her goal. But the goal is completely secondary to the importance of her having a focus on health and fitness, and the dietary and nutritional needs must support these goals
    Yes you gave the caveat of going to see the doctor and being nutritious, but really? She's not going to do that, and no doctor in their right mind would advocate it either.
    How do you know she is not going to see her doctor?
    Please, be responsible when you hand out your "support". You are the exception, not the rule.
    Again, I did not tell her that she could do it because I did it, and I am not all that exceptional. Plenty of people have done what I am doing. Who do you think I learned it from? Focusing on increasing fitness, and getting the proper rest and nutrition to increase one's fitness is not irresponsible advice.
  • Robertus
    Options
    Hi everyone,

This is why I recommend that she work with a nutritionist. I can't break it down in detail for her. In general, I will say that if her work-outs are directed toward increasing fitness and not merely burning a maximum amount of calories for weight loss, enough nutrition and enough rest are achieved when her work-outs are able to increase in intensity, ie, longer distances, better times, increased strength to life heavier weights.

I chose those numbers as an upper bound on OPs likely daily burns. Other people did the math from the other direction, and that reaches the exact same conclusion - it does not seem possible (and definitely not a good idea) to maintain that kind of deficit for a month. I was just trying to make you see that, but it does not look like you’re convinced. I just hope the OP sees how unhealthy, dangerous, and pointless it would be to follow your advice.
    The only thing I am unconvinced about is that we do not know how much stored fat she has. Do you know that she is 5'7" and weighs 150 lbs?