Do you reckon I have IBS?

Options
Back in September I started living in a house with friends at university. We cook together, which means my diet changed a lot. We eat a lot of vegetables each day - always including onion, mushrooms, broccoli, and often beans (high FODMAP foods), which I don't eat at home.

Ever since then I've experienced pretty severe bloating and gas, and irregular bowel movements, which don't seem to go away.

Do you think cutting out these foods will improve my symptoms? Could they be irritating my bowel? I've read about low FODMAP diets, and was wondering whether you think I'd be able to not completely cut out wheat and lactose (seeing as though I've eaten these my whole life without any serious issues).

Also, I don't really know how to tell my friends I want to cut out these things. We always cook big batches of stuff together, because it works out a lot cheaper that way, and our kitchen is tiny so trying to cook separate meals is a massive hassle.

I'm just so sick of being bloated and feeling uncomfortable.

Advice please!

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    1. If you think they might be causing the issues, try cutting them out
    2. I have no idea if you'd be able to cut out wheat and lactose. Many people can, but I don't know you personally. I think if my other options were diarrhea or constipation, I'd manage.
    3. Here's your script: "Friends, I think I might be intolerant of these foods: ______________. Would you be willing to try planning meals for the next week without those ingredients so I can test the theory?"
    4. Understand that your friends might be willing to do this this, or they may suggest you prepare separate meals for yourself.
    5. Whatever their response, handle it gracefully and be prepared to fix your own food if they can't accommodate you.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It could be all the fiber that you now eat (and never did in the past). Have you ever tried Gas-X? It will help with the gas, but the bloating could mean that you are intolerant of something. Try eliminating one veggie at a time. This way you know what you can't eat. Those are all good veggies that you shouldn't just cut out. Bean-O is another medication you can get over the counter. You'll be grateful for adjusting to healthy eating in the long run.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    It could be all the fiber that you now eat (and never did in the past). Have you ever tried Gas-X? It will help with the gas, but the bloating could mean that you are intolerant of something. Try eliminating one veggie at a time. This way you know what you can't eat. Those are all good veggies that you shouldn't just cut out. Bean-O is another medication you can get over the counter. You'll be grateful for adjusting to healthy eating in the long run.

Wouldn't I need to cut everything out and then reintroduce, rather than eliminating one by one? I know, I love veggies so it sucks that I might have to cut some of them out really. I'll research those medications! I've always been pretty skeptical about that sort of stuff though. Plus I'd much rather identify trigger foods and just avoid them rather than spend money on long-term meds. Thanks for the reply!
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you increase your fiber intake via veggies and beans make sure you are also increasing your water intake to help keep things regular. If you didn't eat a lot of veggies before it and you are not super consistent on your intake still, that may be causing the periods of discomfort.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Wouldn't I need to cut everything out and then reintroduce, rather than eliminating one by one? I know, I love veggies so it sucks that I might have to cut some of them out really. I'll research those medications! I've always been pretty skeptical about that sort of stuff though. Plus I'd much rather identify trigger foods and just avoid them rather than spend money on long-term meds. Thanks for the reply!

Another thought is that if you never ate all of that stuff in the past, your gut may not have the right microbes to handle it. Maybe a course of probiotics would help.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    2. I have no idea if you'd be able to cut out wheat and lactose. Many people can, but I don't know you personally. I think if my other options were diarrhea or constipation, I'd manage.
    3. Here's your script: "Friends, I think I might be intolerant of these foods: ______________. Would you be willing to try planning meals for the next week without those ingredients so I can test the theory?"
    4. Understand that your friends might be willing to do this this, or they may suggest you prepare separate meals for yourself.
    5. Whatever their response, handle it gracefully and be prepared to fix your own food if they can't accommodate you.

I don't think I'd find it difficult to cut out wheat and lactose... except form pasta, which is a major staple for me haha. I'll just have to say that to my friends and see what they say. It's not so much preparing my own food I'm worried about, but them being annoyed at me complicating things and the budgeting situation. Thanks for the help :)
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    rayneface wrote: »
    If you increase your fiber intake via veggies and beans make sure you are also increasing your water intake to help keep things regular. If you didn't eat a lot of veggies before it and you are not super consistent on your intake still, that may be causing the periods of discomfort.

That's what I thought too, but considering I've been eating basically the same diet (with these foods nearly every day) for 8 months I thought things would've leveled out by now. I'm definitely going to try to increase water intake though. Hopefully that'll help. I'm also going to avoid diet drinks and chewing gum with sweeteners (which are high FODMAP) too.
  • noobletmcnugget
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Another thought is that if you never ate all of that stuff in the past, your gut may not have the right microbes to handle it. Maybe a course of probiotics would help.

I did think that too, and I did research probiotics but I gathered that the general consensus was that there was no conclusive evidence for their effectiveness. Maybe I'll do a bit more research.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't have any solution for you, but I just wanted to add that this is an issue for me too. Well, back when I ate very unhealthy, I would get terrible stomach pains & cramps 3-5 times a week. But I was regular. Now I rarely ever get that (maybe twice in the past year), but I'm no longer regular and I do get more gassy. I don't know why, and I don't know how to fix it, but I think the other replies have some good ideas. I'd still prefer this over excruciating stomach cramps from eating any day.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Oh, also, quick question, do you know how long it takes after elimination to see improvements? Thanks!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I did think that too, and I did research probiotics but I gathered that the general consensus was that there was no conclusive evidence for their effectiveness. Maybe I'll do a bit more research.

I agree that the science is super new and there isn't a lot to go on - I got an angry belly once from eating some sick oysters, and nothing helped until I did one bottle of probiotics and one box of Pepcid-AC. The symptoms never came back after that. So actually it could have been either/or that worked :)
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    jessieleah wrote: »
    I don't have any solution for you, but I just wanted to add that this is an issue for me too. Well, back when I ate very unhealthy, I would get terrible stomach pains & cramps 3-5 times a week. But I was regular. Now I rarely ever get that (maybe twice in the past year), but I'm no longer regular and I do get more gassy. I don't know why, and I don't know how to fix it, but I think the other replies have some good ideas. I'd still prefer this over excruciating stomach cramps from eating any day.

Luckily I've never really suffered from abdominal pain or cramping, whether eating healthily or unhealthily. I'm glad you've seen improvement!
  • hillarysiegel24
    hillarysiegel24 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This happened to me, and I suggest eliminating everything at once for about 2-3 months, then slowly reintroducing. I cut out everything high in FODMAPs and when I got the okay from my doctor to bring stuff back in, I started with gluten, then lactose. I am now currently eating low fodmap entirely besides gluten and lactose both about 2-3x a week, and I feel about a million times better.
  • prairie_girl_tanis
    prairie_girl_tanis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would try eliminating some foods from my diet, ie dairy, gluten, sugar for a week or so at a time. If no change, I'd consult a doctor. They'll ask if you've eliminated them anyway so you'll have an answer. It may be food related, but sudden onset bowel changes can be a symptom of something more serious. I don't mean to be a downer and it's probably not serious, but if you make changes and your bowels don't, it doesn't hurt to have a professional opinion.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    This happened to me, and I suggest eliminating everything at once for about 2-3 months, then slowly reintroducing. I cut out everything high in FODMAPs and when I got the okay from my doctor to bring stuff back in, I started with gluten, then lactose. I am now currently eating low fodmap entirely besides gluten and lactose both about 2-3x a week, and I feel about a million times better.

That's reassuring to hear you had success with the elimination method! How long did it take after eliminating to see any improvement? Was it quite quick or did it take the whole 2-3 months? Also, if you reintroduce a food group and you find out it's a trigger, do you have to eliminate everything for 2-3 months again or just until the symptoms subside?
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    I would try eliminating some foods from my diet, ie dairy, gluten, sugar for a week or so at a time. If no change, I'd consult a doctor. They'll ask if you've eliminated them anyway so you'll have an answer. It may be food related, but sudden onset bowel changes can be a symptom of something more serious. I don't mean to be a downer and it's probably not serious, but if you make changes and your bowels don't, it doesn't hurt to have a professional opinion.

I'll definitely consult a doctor if I do it and don't see any improvements. It's the fact that the onset of symptoms was so close to my change in diet that makes me think it is a dietary thing rather than a serious problem, but I'll definitely look into it if that's not the case.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to bring it up with your friends because there may be a chance they are also experiencing "issues" like you and are too worried to say anything. If that's the case, then you can all just agree to start cooking new foods!
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    Maybe you need to bring it up with your friends because there may be a chance they are also experiencing "issues" like you and are too worried to say anything. If that's the case, then you can all just agree to start cooking new foods!

It would be good if that happened! I'll have to see I guess.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Are you using canned beans? I know if I buy dried beans and soak them overnight before cooking them, I don't have any issues. When I eat out or use canned beans it's Russian roulette.

Are you eating raw broccoli and onions? I would try eating them cooked, gets rid of some of the sulfur.

• noobletmcnugget
    Options
    Are you using canned beans? I know if I buy dried beans and soak them overnight before cooking them, I don't have any issues. When I eat out or use canned beans it's Russian roulette.

Are you eating raw broccoli and onions? I would try eating them cooked, gets rid of some of the sulfur.

Yeah, I always use canned beans. Maybe I'll give dried beans a go.

Nope, I always cook the broccoli and onions. I heard that about the sulfur too.