homemade ice cream with skim milk..calories per serving?

Options

Replies

• rudy336
    rudy336 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    the post earlier with nothing is the vanilla base. just add what you like to make other flavors. my post above shows it :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'll have to find the recipe.....sherbet is non-fat. Fat Free Buttermilk still has a creamy like texture

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pineapple-sherbet

Crushed pineapple, sugar & buttermilk
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    rudy336 wrote: »
    ok. 2 cups heavy whipping cream, 1/2 cup of sugar, 3/4 cup skim milk, 3 teaspoons vanilla extract. put all ingredients in blender. blend till smooth. chill 2-3 hours. take out of fridge. pour ingridents into ice cream maker. let churn 20-25 minutes. remove ice cream and freeze overnight. this makes it more like store bought ice cream. its very soft serve like fresh out of machine. this is the vanilla base. makes 1 to 2 quarts.

Dreams crushed... this as written would be 319 per cup if the recipie makes one quart and 159 calories if it makes 2 quarts (828 for the whipping cream 387 for the sugar 64 for the milk). Sounds good though. :)

• rudy336
    Options
    how do you get those numbers? i put it in as 1 cup servings
  • rudy336
    Options
    the heavy cream i used (great value) is 200 calories for 2 cups. :o
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ok. 2 cups heavy whipping cream, 1/2 cup of sugar, 3/4 cup skim milk, 3 teaspoons vanilla extract. put all ingredients in blender. blend till smooth. chill 2-3 hours. take out of fridge. pour ingridents into ice cream maker. let churn 20-25 minutes. remove ice cream and freeze overnight. this makes it more like store bought ice cream. its very soft serve like fresh out of machine. this is the vanilla base. makes 1 to 2 quarts.

if you wanna do cake batter flavor just add one cup of dry cake mix to this
    for cookies and cream, add 15 oreos crushed up into the mix when its in the machine and churning. i usually add them about 5 to 10 mintues in. :):)

Whoops I didn't see that!
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options

HAH! no way! Post a picture of that nutrition label!
  • rudy336
    Options
    ok something is up with the way i put this in. when i input in, it gives me one number when i save to my recipes, its gives me another number >:) GRRR. ok back to the drawing board. i love MFP. but hate the way some of this stuff is set up!
  • Keladelphia
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Directly from the MFP calculator. It's actually even more than that (I looked up heavy cream whipped in error the 1st time). If it makes 2 quarts the recipie would be split in 8.

1 cup of heavy whipping cream = 800 Calories and you said you use 2 cups in the recipie so it would be 1600 calories
    1/2 cup of sugar is 387 Calories
    3/4 cup of skim Milk is 64 calories

1600+387+64/8 = 256 Calories per cup (if it makes 2 quarts or 8 cups)
    1600+387+64/4 = 512 Calories per cup (if it makes 1 quart or 4 cups)
  • rudy336
    Options
    well damn. i guess either i didn't enter it right or my calcuations are just wrong. i don;t know WHY IN THE H*LL my numbers are so different than yours.
  • Keladelphia
    Options

This is why. Look up the info for great value heavy cream and see that 1 just tablespoon has 50 calories.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The cream is 50 cal per tbsp, so 800 cal per cup!

I agree that it sounds good, but too good to be true on 77 calories, lol XD

fat free half&half is 160/cup though... so it'd be closer to that if you want to give it a go :)
  • Keladelphia
    Options
    I'll still be happy to eat it if you drop it off though ;)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Directly from the MFP calculator. It's actually even more than that (I looked up heavy cream whipped in error the 1st time). If it makes 2 quarts the recipie would be split in 8.

1 cup of heavy whipping cream = 800 Calories and you said you use 2 cups in the recipie so it would be 1600 calories
    1/2 cup of sugar is 387 Calories
    3/4 cup of skim Milk is 64 calories

1600+387+64/8 = 256 Calories per cup (if it makes 2 quarts or 8 cups)
    1600+387+64/4 = 512 Calories per cup (if it makes 1 quart or 4 cups)

Good work.. I did it to using my version of heavy cream and yikes...

I will stay with Blue Bell's Sugar Free and Fat Free 90 calories 1/2 cup (Country Vanilla and Dutch Chocolate)...

I can take the vanilla and add all kinds of stuff it! Nom Nom Nom
  • rudy336
    Options
    lol this slow computer of mine probably had the decimal off when i was entering it. thanks for the correction all. still very tasty non the less LOL
  • rudy336
    Options
    I'll still be happy to eat it if you drop it off though ;)
    your on! lol everyone here that i make it for loves it. :) lol. can you figure the same with whole milk for me? im curious about the calorie difference. already though, my dreams are crushed after i saw this. that heavy cream is a beast. gotta find a alternative.
  • rudy336
    Options
    The cream is 50 cal per tbsp, so 800 cal per cup!

I agree that it sounds good, but too good to be true on 77 calories, lol XD

fat free half&half is 160/cup though... so it'd be closer to that if you want to give it a go :)

i got one reciepe DOWN over 300 calories by using half/half instead of heavy cream!
  • rudy336
    Options
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, we can't see that recipe because it's in *your* recipe box. Can you take a screen shot of the page and upload it here using the image uploader?
  • rudy336
    Options
    Oh crud OK I'll do screenshot.