Runners Trots?!?! Any hints and tips to stop??

Options
13»

Replies

• skaville1976
    skaville1976 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    fhcxlmg2hl9c.jpg

why would anyone let a little poo stand between them and victory?

• skaville1976
    skaville1976 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A picture is worth a 1,000 words
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    This guy has his pix all over the internet from this one incident. In every one of them the spectators faces are absolutely priceless.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    This guy has his pix all over the internet from this one incident. In every one of them the spectators faces are absolutely priceless.

I give the man credit- I used to work construction- and I'm ashamed to say- I was always in a hurry to get out of the port-o- potties- and no matter HOW hard I tried to get myself all cleaned up- by the end of the day I felt like my *kitten* had been chapped with sandpaper- I can't imagine how raw his a22 was by the end of the day. Seriously- some dedication.
  • glevinso
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I went all of 1 mile in a non-cleaned-up state and was miserable for a couple days. This dude kept racing!

(For what it's worth he ran this half marathon, covered in poo for 12k of the 22k in 1:09:43... which is a good 25 minutes faster than my PR at the distance)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I went all of 1 mile in a non-cleaned-up state and was miserable for a couple days. This dude kept racing!

yeah- I am curious (seeing as how I've seen at least 2 pictures at different stages of that event) and the completely clenched fists in obvious discomfort- how far he had to go like that.
  • jennaatsuad
    jennaatsuad Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Okay, I just finished all reading all five bajillion pages on the "So you want to start running" thread and got all pumped up to start C25k, and these two pages single-handedly (nearly) changed my mind. ;)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

yeah- I am curious (seeing as how I've seen at least 2 pictures at different stages of that event) and the completely clenched fists in obvious discomfort- how far he had to go like that.

he actually has quite the story

http://gawker.com/what-happened-to-the-runner-who-*kitten*-himself-during-a-h-1681442684
  • glevinso
    Options
    Okay, I just finished all reading all five bajillion pages on the "So you want to start running" thread and got all pumped up to start C25k, and these two pages single-handedly (nearly) changed my mind. ;)

Hah... it's a sortof... runner's rite of passage... It's a "welcome to the club" thing :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Well it doesn't happen EVERY run, or even often (or it shouldn't, at any rate), which is why its so memorable/hilarious when it does.
  • MichelleADB
    MichelleADB Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    While I don't do this, I have heard of some runners just pulling out the big guns and taking an Imodium before a big race. Stops you up for a couple days, unfortunately, but you are significantly less likely to have *that* issue in the middle of a race you are trying to do well in.

Yup, I do this. I empty as much as I can in the morning then take 2 Immodium. I may not go for 2 days after but oh well.

While training however, I either make sure my route includes bathrooms (gas stations etc), or I run along paths/ trails where I know there's a porta potty along the way.

Same here.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

http://gawker.com/what-happened-to-the-runner-who-*kitten*-himself-during-a-h-1681442684
    ROFL. Good for him. I guess? At least he doesn't seem embarrassed.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of tummy troubles and i just always make sure i go before I go. Most of the time I will only have issues in the morning because thats when I normally go....So I wake up like an hour to a half an hour before I need to go out, sip a warm cup of water, or coffee, that normally jolts my body into going...and then generally i'm fine...

Sometimes I'll have to cut my run short though....I'm constantly eyeing bushes for just in case moments and bring a bandanna with me just in case...I run in populated areas though...

For races same thing, i wake up early, go, but then I pop 1 Imodium. 1 is normally enough to get me under control and doesn't jack up my system the next day. Most tummy issues I have on race day are anxiety related though.... I kind of do the same thing for long trips and presentations at work because i get anxiety then as well....

I never thought I would be able to overcome this, but i have for the most part. Talking about it actually helps. Everyone poops and pretty much all runners have been there.

Anyone I ever go running with I tell them not to judge me if I poop my pants. Breaks the ice and makes me feel more comfortable. And gives them a heads up I guess.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options

LOL! It's still totally worth it, I promise.

These stories are hilarious. But yeah, coffee usually does the trick for me!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I recommend not running. Foolproof.
  • JoRocka
    Options

that's 50 shades of fracking awesome. thanks for sharing!
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I recommend not running. Foolproof.
    Or run inside on a treadmill!