Vomiting and calorie adjustment

Options
Let me start out by saying that I am about 7 years past gastric banding surgery...I am not bulimic! However, I will occasionally have meals that do not "set well" on my stomach, and wind up vomiting. I am not sure how to adjust my calories for that:( So far, I just adjust down to 1/3 portion size, as I am not sure if I vomited the whole meal, but don't know how to handle this situation. It doesn't happen very often, maybe once every week or two...but I am trying to be very accurate with my calorie counts. Can ANYONE help?

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    See your doctor.
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Vomiting up your food once or twice a week is something to be concerned about.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I... after you vomit, do you eat something else? Or do you feel sick and not up to eating until the next meal?

Because I think if I lost my breakfast, I'd just leave it logged and not try to calculate how much of my stomach contents came back.

Honestly, I agree with segacs that you need to talk to your doctor about this and find out if everything is OK. And I'm a *little* bit worried about your desire to un-log regurgitated food. That sounds like it's heading toward disordered eating territory.
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I... after you vomit, do you eat something else? Or do you feel sick and not up to eating until the next meal?

Because I think if I lost my breakfast, I'd just leave it logged and not try to calculate how much of my stomach contents came back.

Honestly, I agree with segacs that you need to talk to your doctor about this and find out if everything is OK. And I'm a *little* bit worried about your desire to un-log regurgitated food. That sounds like it's heading toward disordered eating territory.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If I vomited the last thing I'd be worried about is how many calories I barfed up.
  • _Divalicious_
    _Divalicious_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    if you have had any type of gastric surgery you would understand completely the whole vomiting thing. I would keep it logged as if you didnt vomit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    lcooper327 wrote: »
    Vomiting up your food once or twice a week is something to be concerned about.

Yep!
  • cnoonannurse
    cnoonannurse Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not once or twice a week. Once every week or two. I don't usually eat after, because I feel crappy, and most of the time wind up under in calories anyway, just trying to be accurate. My physician started me taking medication for acid reflux, so I am being treated from his perspective. I just want to be able to use the tracking capabilities of MFP to its fullest.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    if you have had any type of gastric surgery you would understand completely the whole vomiting thing. I would keep it logged as if you didnt vomit.

I'm not suggesting it's an eating disorder. I'm saying it's very likely related to eating foods that the body can no longer properly cope with due to the surgery. OP, I'd suggest consulting the doctor who performed the surgery, and/or a dietitian who is trained to help post-gastric surgery patients. You really shouldn't have to suffer so much.

And yeah, log whatever you eat, and re-hydrate 'cause all that vomiting can put you at risk for dehydration.
  • cnoonannurse
    cnoonannurse Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the concern...but I have seen what bulimia does. I know someone my age that got a pacemaker in her 20's because of the damage done to her heart from being bulimic.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't adjust it. It's a minor thing in the scheme of things, health issues aside.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating after, I would just leave it logged and put a mention of it in your food notes.
  • pinksyringes
    pinksyringes Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You could just eat your vomit.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    You could just eat your vomit.
    You'd still have to account for what soaked into the carpet or what you couldn't scoop up.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    This is actually a very common question among people with eating disorders. I don't think any of them ever came to a consensus on it.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    See your doctor.

Exactly
  • BuddyTitus1324
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve done and I vomit also
    be patient and still log everything you eat consult with your dr on cals
  • BuddyTitus1324
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve done and I vomit also
    be patient and still log everything you eat consult with your dr on cals
    I had mine done in november

• ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    In that

- You are being treated by a doctor for the condition that is causing the vomiting,

- You say you are not bulimic, and

- You want to be very accurate with your logging

I think what you're doing is OK. It reflects that you probably got some portion of the nutrition, but not all. With the frequency you cite, the level of error in trying to be more accurate than that does not seem material.

I hope the doctr can help you address this. It sounds very unpleasant.

• csmullins78
    csmullins78 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that you don't take the food out of the log after you vomit it up.

Having been banded for 7 years, you probably already know that you shouldn't have reflux with the band and that this is often a sign that your band is too tight (just like throwing up food is a sign you're too tight OR eating things that don't go down easily like bread).

My friendly advice would be to ask your doctor about loosening up your band. It's scary because you risk putting weight back on, but the risks from a slip or erosion are much more serious. When your band is too tight or you throw up, you risk a slip.

I'm sending you good thoughts! :-)
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have pretty bad stomach issues along with IBS and have this happen (or diarrhea... not to be gross or TMI... BUT you did ask lol!!) And I just leave my calories as is. If I go over calories because I tried to eat or drink to compensate I'll make a note for myself but I don't bother because A. I don't want to try to figure out how much was lost and B. I'm usually back and forth because if it comes up once, it'll come up twice.

This is really an awful thing and I can relate but I've seen several doctors and none can help me either. I didn't have bypass or anything, I have a messed up upper stomach muscle and I'll get heartburn and it'll get so bad that I vomit.