So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    So question....I jumped from the 1st post to the last page so this might be answered somewhere in the 45 pages of this thread. :-)

Can you or someone explain TDEE to me or how I'm supposed to use the calculator in the original post? I did it and I got my rest calories and workout but I dont' know what it means. TIA!

TDEE is the total amount of calories you burn in a 24 hour period. This includes when you are sleeping, doing normal activity, working and working out. Eating at 20% below that number ensures you are at an appropriate deficit, so you fuel your body well while losing weight. This calculator is a bit easier: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

So my TDEE is 1725 so I should be eating 1380 calories a day versus the 1200 MFP recommends? Sorry for the questions but I'm new to this and you are a wealth of knowledge. :-)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    So question....I jumped from the 1st post to the last page so this might be answered somewhere in the 45 pages of this thread. :-)

Can you or someone explain TDEE to me or how I'm supposed to use the calculator in the original post? I did it and I got my rest calories and workout but I dont' know what it means. TIA!

TDEE is the total amount of calories you burn in a 24 hour period. This includes when you are sleeping, doing normal activity, working and working out. Eating at 20% below that number ensures you are at an appropriate deficit, so you fuel your body well while losing weight. This calculator is a bit easier: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

So my TDEE is 1725 so I should be eating 1380 calories a day versus the 1200 MFP recommends? Sorry for the questions but I'm new to this and you are a wealth of knowledge. :-)

With MFP's method they want you to eat back your exercise calories. With the TDEE method your exercise is counted in, unless you start increasing your exercise significantly, which would increase your TDEE.

If you change to the TDEE method you set your goal to 1400 and don't worry about calories burned working out. Most of us log exercise as 1 calorie burned.
  • JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

With MFP's method they want you to eat back your exercise calories. With the TDEE method your exercise is counted in, unless you start increasing your exercise significantly, which would increase your TDEE.

If you change to the TDEE method you set your goal to 1400 and don't worry about calories burned working out. Most of us log exercise as 1 calorie burned.

Ah gotcha. Thank you!! I've started doing the Couch to 5k again and when I do that I 9 times out of 10 don't eat the extra exercise calories unless I'm hungry.
  • kashago2226
    Options
    That link TDEE link won't work for me. No idea why it isn't loading.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Do you have AdBlocker on? I think this is he calculator that won't work if AdBlocker is on. I could be wrong.
  • sydney1199
    sydney1199 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

i eat about 800 calories a day and workout for an hour to 2 hours a day, is there something wrong with that?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    sydney1199 wrote: »

i eat about 800 calories a day and workout for an hour to 2 hours a day, is there something wrong with that?

Yes. It's unhealthy and could cause damage to your metabolism and your body.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sorry I posted this before and another user gave me an answer which I Appreciate... I would also love to have your opinion...thank you :))

Hello OP, I am in the middle of my 4th week of Stronglifts 5x5 now....and I occadionaly do 15-20 mins cardio after it..a total of 35-40 mins cardio plus 3x week SL. I am definitely seeing the result in strength as I never thought I could squat 1lbs more than my body weight....Do you suggest stronglifts over the long term? I mean it is designed for 3 months but many people suggest to keep doing it even for an year..and then switch to another weight training once I stall on adding weights...Consider I am in the middle of my weight loss and currently weighing 242 pounds...eating 1700-1800 cals a day... I manage a restaurant so I walk like crazy everyday...probably I Should add some more calories for the workouts days since I get to gym already tired?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Sorry I posted this before and another user gave me an answer which I Appreciate... I would also love to have your opinion...thank you :))

Hello OP, I am in the middle of my 4th week of Stronglifts 5x5 now....and I occadionaly do 15-20 mins cardio after it..a total of 35-40 mins cardio plus 3x week SL. I am definitely seeing the result in strength as I never thought I could squat 1lbs more than my body weight....Do you suggest stronglifts over the long term? I mean it is designed for 3 months but many people suggest to keep doing it even for an year..and then switch to another weight training once I stall on adding weights...Consider I am in the middle of my weight loss and currently weighing 242 pounds...eating 1700-1800 cals a day... I manage a restaurant so I walk like crazy everyday...probably I Should add some more calories for the workouts days since I get to gym already tired?

Stronglifts is fine for a long term program. When you stall on lifts for a while you could consider swapping to a new program, but there's nothing wrong with staying on a program you are comfortable with.

I think for calories you should run your numbers through the IIFYM calculator. It will give you an appropriate deficit. Based on the data you've given me and assuming some data about you I'm going to say that 1800 calories isn't enough if you aren't eating your exercise calories. Remember with the IIFYM settings you count exercise as 1 calorie burned since their method adds in exercise already.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • hannah_godsmark
    hannah_godsmark Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Really useful- great final point!
  • saleetad
    saleetad Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice
  • Tammi0069
    Options
    Your welcome
  • HeidyVeerman
    HeidyVeerman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You want to lose belly fat and have a nice flat toned mid section? We see that a lot on this site. Hell, that was my goal for my birthday last year. We all want to be able to take our shirt off at the pool or beach and look great, but how do we do it?

1. Slight calorie deficit. Eating 800 calories and killing yourself in the gym is not going to get you there any faster. You need to fuel your body appropriately. I suggest the TDEE-20% method. www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc (If you have questions please feel free to ask them here). Make sure to weigh everything you eat! Guessing could put you well over your calories.

2. Strength training. If you want that toned mid section look you have to put some muscle there. If you just want a nice flat stomach muscle will still help it look tight. You can begin with Strong Lifts, a hypertrophy routine or a strength program from bodybuilding.com (free!). One that includes compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press and pull ups will help. Work on increasing the amount of weight you use. When the weight gets heavier you engage your core more and it builds the muscle.

3. Muscle insurance. There are a variety of studies done on the amount of protein the body needs. I like to think of higher protein as muscle insurance. My suggestion is about 1gram of protein per pound of lean mass. Make sure to get fat in your diet to help joints and metabolic processes. Make sure to get carbs in your diet to fuel workouts.

4. Cardio. I like cardio once or twice a week for 30 minutes. It's good for the heart and lungs. It doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week, but it helps even things out in case you haven't been completely accurate weighing food.

5. Patience! It is not going to happen overnight. If you stick with it you could lose around 1% body fat a month. We aren't going to be perfect all the time. Enjoy birthdays and holidays. It is life and things will happen. Don't stress, learn to love the process.

FINALLY: Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet. You won't magically lose belly fat or thigh fat or any other fat. It will come off where it wants to. Keep working at it! It is possible!

• HeidyVeerman
    HeidyVeerman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.
  • Tammi0069
    Options
    Your very welcome working together works
  • SheenaSheShe
    SheenaSheShe Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank u I've been going hard at the gym for almost 2 months doing between 20/30 mins of cardio 5 days a week now I know it's mostly body building to target my abs. Thank you so much :)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Tammi0069 wrote: »

Huh? I'm not sure I understand your comment, "Your very welcome". I started this thread and personally wrote the first post.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Tammi0069 wrote: »

Huh? I'm not sure I understand your comment, "Your very welcome". I started this thread and personally wrote the first post.

Well, that why it's your welcome and not someone else's welcome.