trainers or professional bodybuilders opinion needed

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    Holy crap dude....You would have to be on some gear to get results like what you are saying....and even then your friend getting 28lbs??? in 2 months??????

You have better abs Seth :flowerforyou:

Thank you sweets. :kissing_heart:
    Wish I had his shoulders. though
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    The fact that your numbers are all over the place - from day to day - should tell you right away your method is utter crap

Seriously - look at the last entry for "Muscle lbs." You really think you gained 1.9 lbs of muscle overnight?

He seems to think LBM = muscle and place too much reliance on the accuracy of BIAs that are notoriously inaccurate.

Also, when returning to lifting, I can easily gain 5lb in water/glycogen and I have less muscle mass so someone with more could easily gain more.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Your friend (and his trainer) are lying, and they know it. No matter how many facts you throw at them, they're gonna keep lying, even if just to save face.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    This has been interesting. I hope the OP reverses his position. I've learned something.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You're being assumptive and slanderous.

tbq9uogyvjwg.jpg

48pw17zx4yh5.jpg

These two pictures were taken in June and then August last Year. Sadly I don't have the data to show you as I wasn't as meticulous then. For context: the first picture was at the end of a 3 month break from weights and the second was after going straight back into 2 hours a day training for around 10 weeks.
    The guy who gained two stone was previously athletic but had been sedentary for about a year prior to starting. He was naturally lean and skinny but when I got him simply eating more his strength and size shot up. The weight gain is self-reported so can be treated with a little skepticism but the rapid gain in size is visually apparent.

Do people actually believe you usually when you show them these pictures?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

tbq9uogyvjwg.jpg

48pw17zx4yh5.jpg

These two pictures were taken in June and then August last Year. Sadly I don't have the data to show you as I wasn't as meticulous then. For context: the first picture was at the end of a 3 month break from weights and the second was after going straight back into 2 hours a day training for around 10 weeks.
    The guy who gained two stone was previously athletic but had been sedentary for about a year prior to starting. He was naturally lean and skinny but when I got him simply eating more his strength and size shot up. The weight gain is self-reported so can be treated with a little skepticism but the rapid gain in size is visually apparent.

I believe his graphs...which show a .2kg muscle mass gain in 1 month.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

tbq9uogyvjwg.jpg

48pw17zx4yh5.jpg

I would be hesitant to do that (unless I read the graph wrong).
    Look at the most recent 4 days.
    Went from 84.8 -> 87.2 in 4 days.
    2.4 lbs???

Would need to know how measurements are being done.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

BIA scale.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Ah...those measurements are not the most accurate....
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

tbq9uogyvjwg.jpg

48pw17zx4yh5.jpg

I would be hesitant to do that (unless I read the graph wrong).
    Look at the most recent 4 days.
    Went from 84.8 -> 87.2 in 4 days.
    2.4 lbs???

Oops, you're right. I just looked at the chart and not the spreadsheet.

Back to calling shenanigans.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

tbq9uogyvjwg.jpg

48pw17zx4yh5.jpg

His graphs are showing a different time period than he is claiming he gained all the muscle - which is even further confusing people.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just to back Scott up a bit....you look phenomenal so the actual numbers are of little importance in the overall scheme of things.

The calling of shenanigans is a necessity though so that other people don't come on here and think they could get results like you claim you have gotten as they will likely be disappointed.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The fact that your numbers are all over the place - from day to day - should tell you right away your method is utter crap

Seriously - look at the last entry for "Muscle lbs." You really think you gained 1.9 lbs of muscle overnight?

That's why I said trends.
    Looking at the data your FFM has been going down. So no, you aren't building muscle over the deficit.
    While "%Muscle" has been going up, you have been losing muscle. It's just that the muscle loss has been smaller than the fat loss.

The FFM is something I calculated myself by just taking the fat away from the total. Yes I have lost 3.9kg of FFM so I guess my bones and organs are lighter now.

The scales give you the muscle percentage and the mass can be found by simply multiplying by the total weight. This is in the 9th and 10th columns.
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Your table implies that you have lost muscle mass. What's up with that?

Look at the graphs. Muscle mass is trending upwards for the most recent few weeks while fat mass has dropped over 1kg. The total loss at the bottom is going from 91kg to now, the older entries are cut off the screenshot.

Last year, you have not been lifting for 3 months - you can have the impact similar to newbie gains when returning from a lay off. Plus water/glycogen increase. Your assertion that your gains were all muscle is fundamentally flawed and particularly the assertion that it is possible for someone who is experienced and not coming back from a lay off. It kind of impairs credibility.

Like I said, last year I gained 13.2lbs in 10 weeks and got leaner. The limit the article states is 0.5lb of actual muscle/week. I gained 1.32lbs/week. Can you gain 0.83lbs/week of just water and glycogen?

• ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    The calling of shenanigans is a necessity though so that other people don't come on here and think they could get results like you claim you have gotten as they will likely be disappointed.
    I agree with that. I think 0.5lbs/week is a reasonable limit for the average person going to the gym by themselves and following a program.
    The original post was asked to trainers or bodybuilders and I put in my two pennies. For people who revolve their lives around training and have an aggressive, positive mindset for it there are a whole new set of rules and limits.

If you do 5 x 5 and train 3 hours a week, no you can't build muscle rapidly. If you train with brutally high intensity and as high volume as you have time in the day for, every day, you see results that are not yet in the realm of science.

Most people should take the time they spend furthering their internet education on bodyrecomposition.com and t-nation and spend it lifting.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

That's why I said trends.
    Looking at the data your FFM has been going down. So no, you aren't building muscle over the deficit.
    While "%Muscle" has been going up, you have been losing muscle. It's just that the muscle loss has been smaller than the fat loss.

The FFM is something I calculated myself by just taking the fat away from the total. Yes I have lost 3.9kg of FFM so I guess my bones and organs are lighter now.

The scales give you the muscle percentage and the mass can be found by simply multiplying by the total weight. This is in the 9th and 10th columns.

Your table implies that you have lost muscle mass. What's up with that?

Look at the graphs. Muscle mass is trending upwards for the most recent few weeks while fat mass has dropped over 1kg. The total loss at the bottom is going from 91kg to now, the older entries are cut off the screenshot.

Last year, you have not been lifting for 3 months - you can have the impact similar to newbie gains when returning from a lay off. Plus water/glycogen increase. Your assertion that your gains were all muscle is fundamentally flawed and particularly the assertion that it is possible for someone who is experienced and not coming back from a lay off. It kind of impairs credibility.

Like I said, last year I gained 13.2lbs in 10 weeks and got leaner. The limit the article states is 0.5lb of actual muscle/week. I gained 1.32lbs/week. Can you gain 0.83lbs/week of just water and glycogen?

You are using a BIA device for your data - which is fundamentally flawed, and yes, I notice the uptick - but you are still down. What's up with that? You do not gain 0.3lb per week from just water/glycogen - you gain a bunch when you get back to lifting - which I said - not xkg per week. If you had actual data from last year it would be interesting to see.

You really do not seem to realize what FFM is. It includes water and food weight - its anything not fat. Your comment about bones and organs, unless you were being facetious is kind of adding to your lack of credibility.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Nope. Water and glycogen aren't gradual gains. That's why people lose 5 pounds when they start dieting and gain 5 pounds when they stop. That's why one cheat meal puts people up 5 pounds. Even starting creatine would add a few pounds in the first week of loading, but no more after.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Nope. Water and glycogen aren't gradual gains. That's why people lose 5 pounds when they start dieting and gain 5 pounds when they stop. That's why one cheat meal puts people up 5 pounds. Even starting creatine would add a few pounds in the first week of loading, but no more after.

I gained 5lb in less than a week when I started taking creatine. Which means I gained 5lb of muscle right? Right?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I gained 5lb in less than a week when I started taking creatine. Which means I gained 5lb of muscle right? Right?

I did too! I also gained 7 pounds in the first 24 hours after my bodybuilding competition, must have been muscle.
  • karrysalexi
    karrysalexi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Come to think of it I'm a bit of a fat boy myself. Lmao. I eat over 3500 calorie a day and am 5 7 163. Your friend could be right if he was taking anabolic steroids and in the gym everyday along with a balanced diet that has an outrageous amount of protein in it. I'm not a professional though haha. So I wouldn't trust my opinion.