Cheat days are important!

Options
Cheat days are actually important when dieting because it increases your leptin which is the master hormone for regulating fat and weight loss. Leptin tends to decrease when we reduce our caloric intake causing the body to store on to our fat as if our body is going into survival mode because of the reduction in calories. By periodically increasing your caloric intake it raises your leptin causing the body to maximize its weight loss potential.

Replies

• Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cheating implies you are doing something 'wrong'. Why cheat yourself? If you want something, have it and fit it into your calorie limit or do some more exercise. Don't cheat.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are actually important when dieting because it increases your leptin which is the master hormone for regulating fat and weight loss. Leptin tends to decrease when we reduce our caloric intake causing the body to store on to our fat as if our body is going into survival mode because of the reduction in calories. By periodically increasing your caloric intake it raises your leptin causing the body to maximize its weight loss potential.

You have mistaken "cheat day" for a "re-feed day." Re-feeds are typically only recommended for those who are trying to get stage ready and are at a very low body fat percentage as it is. Men - 10% or under and Woman 18% or under....

Re-feeds are also very structured and macro specific.....it's not "cheating" when you are adhering to a specific macro total.........

• clhenderson2
    clhenderson2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are stupid...you can eat anything you want daily as long as you don't go over your limit. It's all about portion control.

That's true too. But people like to reduce their caloric intake perhaps for psychological reasons. It's the comfort of knowing if consume less calories, we'll weigh less. However, if you insists of calorie reduction it's good to plan those "cheat days" where you consume more calories. Weight loss experts suggests up to 1,000 more calories than your suggested intake. I personally do exactly as you mentioned so I can control my weight and still enjoy my favorite foods.

• nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Personally I am leery of the idea of 'cheating' in relation to meals or days and I just try to have what I want every day within my goals. But hey. If you are seeing results with doing it and you're happy with it, excellent! Rock on.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are stupid...you can eat anything you want daily as long as you don't go over your limit. It's all about portion control.

That's true too. But people like to reduce their caloric intake perhaps for psychological reasons. It's the comfort of knowing if consume less calories, we'll weigh less. However, if you insists of calorie reduction it's good to plan those "cheat days" where you consume more calories. Weight loss experts suggests up to 1,000 more calories than your suggested intake. I personally do exactly as you mentioned so I can control my weight and still enjoy my favorite foods.

I don't "cheat". I just know that in the natural course of life most days I'll eat according to plan, but some days will include more indulgences. A dinner out, a celebration, whatever. To me, this seems like a healthier approach.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    76 pounds down, no cheat days.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    "When copy and pasting goes wrong" vol. II
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    There's really no need to "cheat" if you're correctly counting calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    76 pounds down, no cheat days.

Same (well, only 63 down)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Jagerin wrote: »
    Cheating implies you are doing something 'wrong'.
    No, it doesn't. It's an idiomatic expression. Or a metaphor. Or a shorthand way of expressing an idea. Pick one, but it's clearly not meant to be literal.

• rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If I had a cheat day where I ate up to 1000 calories over my recommended intake, I'd negate all the calories I saved the rest of the week. I don't disagree with staggering calories from day to day, but I don't believe that it's making me lose any better. I do it because some days I'm really busy and it's easy to eat less, and some days I want a big cheeseburger.
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The comfort of if I consume less, I will weigh less... That's not a comforting feeling, that's a scientific fact.

You do not need cheat days if you are eating at a healthy deficit. If you are crash dieting, cheat days will give you the opportunity to eat like a normal person. On my less restrictive days, I still stay under maintenance
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

You can easily kill a deficit with a "cheat day". If I have a 250 calorie deficit per day, over six days I've created a 1,500 calorie deficit. It is very easy to eat over that deficit on top of your normal intake on a "cheat" day.

I prefer to fit what I want to eat into my intake. So I can regularly enjoy the foods I want, while maintaining my deficit. I don't need to "cheat" do it.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Omg this again! I can't take it anymore. Some ppl are successful with cheat days especially if they have rules for their day. Personally I would never eat more than my maintanence on a cheat day. I call it a cheat day and I will continue to call that til I don't do them anymore. I never feel deprived even through the week but, sometimes 2 ounces of pasta is not goinG to cut it and I don't feel the need nor can I workout for 2 hrs to make up the difference.I always track my cals for the week to make up the difference. Now if you eat 40,000 cals on a cheat day then you are being stupid. Find what works for you and do it. No one needs to agree with you or even like it. What works for you may not work for me and vice versa. Everyones journey is different.I have lost 26 lbs in 70 days so my cheat days are obviously not causing a problem.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

No cheat days here.
    And losing weight just fine

76145189.png
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Treat Day MIRITE?
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I call them treat days too. Calorific deficit over the week = weightloss.
  • King_Murcielagp
    King_Murcielagp Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Do what works for you! Just don't over do it.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I went Over by at least 2700 today. Kid had a tournament out of state, we had lunch and team meal at Texas Roadhouse. I am now eating cheesecake and drinking a daquiri,

I'll just divide that 2700 by 10 days and eat at a deficit. ( I'm in maintenace) it's all good. And it was all good!!