Frame Size and Healthy Weight

Options

Replies

• Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What better way than body fat percentage to determine how fat a person is? Unlike BMI, it doesn't make the mistake of calling an athletic, muscular person obese.
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am a little bit confused about this. If you are overweight your wrists are going to be larger than they would be if you were a healthy weight. So...wouldnt that make a lot of people who are overweight think they have a larger bone frame then they really do?

Also, I'm a bit confused about what I would be. How much are your fingers supposed to overlap to be a small frame? My fingers do overlap, my thump only goes a a bit past my other fingernails. Does that mean i'm small framed or medium still?

Absolutely this! I read a similar post to this when I started MFP in January and declared myself medium frame. Well, 23 lbs later, I seem to be small frame. Hmmmm, it can't be right can it? Maybe I've lost fat off my hands and wrists!

I am now 1lb off a healthy BMI and yet according to this - being a small frame - I have 17 more lbs to lose. Rubbish!
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    oh i like this and never tried this before. im 5ft 1 and my results are

Ideal weight range is 102 - 112.2 lbs. (46.4 - 51 kg.).
    You are marginally overweight by 5.8 lbs. (3 kg.).
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    TBH I find a lot of people are in total denial about this (not here but in real life). Trouble is if you can't get your fingers around your wrist it may well be chubb stopping you not bone.

I've been told I have a big frame a lot of my life and it's bull****. I'm fat. I need to lose the fat then determine my bone density, that or have an MRI.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    It's interesting you posted that. I remember, in high school health class, we learned how to use a similar method as that site to figure out body fat percentage. My mother wouldn't buy it when I told her about it, because, back then, I was just within the normal range. I know a lot of this is fat, but that fat is significantly lessened on my wrists and ankles, and they're still bigger than a lot of women's. I'm still going to aim for my goal of 150, which is right about what's considered my healthy weight, but I like having different sources available.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My ideal weight range is 102-112lbs. I'm 115, and I'm 3lbs overweight :sad: My BMI is 22.5
    Rubbish :explode: :angry: :mad: :cry: :sad:
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Trouble is if you can't get your fingers around your wrist it may well be chubb stopping you not bone.
    This. Apparently I have a large frame because my fingers don't meet.but before I gained the weight they overlapped which means a small frame. Not a very accurate measure at all imo.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    I think BMI is a lousy way to access a healthy weight for individuals.

I agree completely, but it's what the government has decided is the most profitable ;-)

I'm saying screw the BMI, I'm going with a frame system. It is what they used to use before the BMI came into being.

My doc will just be happy to see me under 200! :-)
    I agree also. I've been as low as 145. I looked like drug addict or a starvation victim. Seriously. When they tell you you are going to lose a 100 lbs with an RNY, gastric bypass, you WILL. (or at least I did) I have such a large frame (i'm half german) , but did I look like ****. I had several people ask if I was seriously ill, cancer or something. I weighed 145, looked like 125 and was not happy. We all bounce back and I was so glad to climb back up to 165. Thats a size 10. I looked great and didn't have any skin hanging off of me. So thats my goal, to get back to 165. And yep, it's in the "overweight "catagory on a BMI chart. I don't give a *kitten*, cause I want to look good AND healthy, not go by some dumb chart says. Personally I don't weigh myself much either, I go by my clothes. I want to invest in a measurement tape. It will you you the truth, not that evil scale!:tongue:
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    It told me I am 7 lbs overweight right now. I was thinking that I'd lose about 5 more lbs. No way would I want to lose any more than that.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    My wrist is a large frame size at 245 and it's a large at 145. My fingers do not touch and thye a good 1/2 inch apart. It was that way, when I was i at my smallest. It's been an interesting ride, these last 7 years. When stop and think about it, I've lived in 3 different bodies. Weird. But there's one thing that did not change. My frame size.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    "Your ideal weight range-- 144 - 158.4 lbs. (65.5 - 72 kg.). --is based on a formula that calculates what a healthy weight is for most people of your height (68 inches) and frame size (Small)."

Sounds about right for me! My goal is 150 so right in the middle of what that site suggested!
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My ideal weight according to the wrist thing is 112 - 123, but BMI wants my lowest weight to be 98 pounds.... honestly, I have been in the 120s and looked horrible - mostly because I'm a pear and so my upper body was skeletal while my lower was more normal.

I'll settle for being in the low 130s, that is always where I look and feel my very best - my overall appearance is a little more proportional! I think as long as I am exercising and eating right, and all my numbers at the doctor's office are good, then I am at my healthy weight - even if it is slightly higher than BMI and other calculators would have me at!
  • terresabooth
    Options
    I am 5'6" and as a teen I was very thin and even in my 20's but now after 7 kids I am huge..I don't know what my frame is. I have been doing this plan for two weeks and not seeing much progress so far. I guess the 149 is what I will shoot for and I would like to run the annual 5K instead of walking it.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    This has made me feel much better about myself- at 6'1" the BMI scale is 140lbs (BMI 18.5) to 189lbs (BMI 24.9).

But my ideal weight is 184lbs - 202.84lbs on this site (Medium build- my fingers touch)

I look really good at 190, and used to obsess about being a 'healthy' BMI- even though I was slim at 190.

Hmmmph.....
  • lucky723
    lucky723 Posts: 52
    Options
    So my ideal weight is 136-149 which is fine because I've been there before and that's a healthy range for me although I'd like to get down to 130 if possible.
  • BrownSkinBeauty1990
    BrownSkinBeauty1990 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey, Just a quick quesiton: My fingers just touch not overlap, so would this be a medium or small frame? Thanks.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and weigh 134. I am by no means a stick. This calculater states that I am underweight and my weight should be 156-171. I was once that weight which is why I lost it. I was miserable and looked terrible and unhealthy. I look great and feel great now so I think I will stick with where I am.
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that had to google what a major finger was lol :bigsmile:

Your ideal weight range-- 136 - 149.6 lbs. (61.8 - 68 kg.). --is based on a formula that calculates what a healthy weight is for most people of your height (65 inches) and frame size (Medium)

I"m aiming for 140 which is within the range....I was in the 120s before but that was before I had boobs and hips...so I'm happy to have the extra fluff
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    If I am a medium frame I am at the lower end of healthy, if I am small build I am 1kg overweight. There doesn't appear to be any overlap.