UK vs. US portions and nutrition

Options
Hey! So I'm going to be studying abroad to England next fall. I won't be losing weight, or will be very slowly, while I'm there so that I have time to actually enjoy food and eating whenever with friends. However, I have some questions for people who live/have lived in the UK or have studied abroad there (or even visited!).

1. Are the portion sizes smaller in the UK, and if so, by how much?
2. Is kcal the same thing as calorie? (I believe so, but I'm not sure!)
3. How are meal times laid out in the UK?
4. Does British food seem to be more high-calorie than food in America?

I've been Google searching all this, but I wanted to open it for people to share their personal thoughts! Thank you for your time!

Replies

• Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've not been to the USA but I've talked with people who have, and I'm a Brit, so in can give you a couple of pointers.

Yes, the portions are smaller. Probably a lot less than what you're used to. Because of this, asking for a doggie bag is not really done here. But the food does have more taste, I've heard.

Mealtimes vary from person to person and family to family but will be similar to what you are used to.

You'll have a lot less choice here, particularly in fat free and sugar free foods. For example, as far as I know, Starbucks only has one syrup flavour that's sugar free. You will not find sugar free flavoured yoghurt.

As for the calorie content, I think you'll find it lower calorie when you eat out but it depends where you eat. Pubs and cafes will generally serve food that is quick and easy to store and prepare, so there's a lot of fried stuff. Some places will try to make something off menu for you, but a lot won't. Large chains have to publish nutrition info for allergy sufferers but don't seem to have to include calorie counts. The biggest and most popular chains do though. Most places will have one healthy main course on their menu and will leave off butter or sauce or swap chips (fries to you) for extra vegetables if you ask nicely.

You're going to think our fridges are tiny by the way unless everyone you know is well-off and lives in a house big enough to accommodate what we call and American fridge. :)

You might end up losing weight here simply because you'll be walking more. We use our cars a lot but fuel isn't cheap, and the idea of a drive in anything is still pretty novel. Public car parks are expensive and often full, while public transport is pretty good.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I lived in the UK for a few years, and visited the US recently. I'd say the range of food is bigger in the US, on both ends of the scale (healthy, and not so healthy), and to accomodate all types of dietary requirements.

Portion size isn't an issue - you shouldn't feel the need to eat everything you're given wherever you live and eat. I didn't find the US portions ridiculous, but we were eating at nicer places most of the time.

Kcal and cal are the same.

You can eat meals whenever you like, but "traditional" meals are the same.

The food is the same in the UK. Probably healthier overall. It's up to you to make the right choices for your goals.

• Foxglove89
    Foxglove89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just returned from a two week visit to the UK to see my brother. My experience was that portions are smaller in the UK, which was a welcome change from the U.S. My brother only had a small fridge, so we went to market often, and bought great fresh produce. I was in Cambridge and Ely, and we walked everywhere, including grocery shopping and to pubs and restaurants. Without even trying I lost 3 pounds during my visit, likely due to smaller portions, no fast food and lots of walking.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    What part of England? If you're in a big city you'll find the dining options very similar to those of the US, and I personally haven't noticed much difference in the portion sizes. Of course your frame of reference will depend on what you're used to at home, but you shouldn't be thrown for much of a loop. I've eaten at chain restaurants in the UK that served large portions and yes, offered to-go boxes, and there are also lots of small restaurants and cafes, coffee shops, farmers markets, both small and large grocers, etc., which are all options I'm used to having at home. London has some great outdoor markets with farmers market type foods so you should check those out if you get a chance (Borough Market, Camden Lock, and Covent Garden are some cool ones).

My friends I've stayed with in the UK all seemed to eat toast with Marmite or butter/jam on top for breakfast, which might be a smaller breakfast than you're used to having, but again depends on your habits. Their lunch and dinners were the same as what I'm used to.

You will likely be walking a lot more which will help with any extra food intake. You should be able to find a good calorie estimate in the MFP database for anything you're unsure of. Also, food is considerably more expensive over there so that might help with eating moderately. Sounds like a great time though and I hope you have fun! As long as you don't go totally crazy on the food you'll be fine, but then again same applies here in the US.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Meal terminology, which might help you avoid awkwardness!
    US breakfast = UK breakfast. 'Fry-up' is giant bacon, eggs, sausages etc meal usually reserved for Sunday mornings and/or dealing with hangovers. If you're studying, you'll need to know about this. Served with tea, usually at corner cafés.
    Elevenses = small snack mid-morning, usually tea & biscuits
    Lunch = lunch, sometimes referred to as dinner (example: school dinner = school hot lunch)
    Afternoon tea = old fashioned 3-4pm meal of tea and small sandwiches, cakes etc. Tea.
    Dinner/supper = dinner/supper/tea (if someone invites you over 'for tea' it means for an early evening meal, not a cup of tea. If they say 'Come over for a cuppa' it will be a cup of tea and a biscuit (cookie!)
    You'll notice a pattern here. There's lots of tea. If you don't drink it, I would suggest you start, and figure out 'how you take it' because you'll be asked that a lot! There is also coffee though, but more of the instant variety than fancy brewed stuff, at least in people's homes.
  • cheezels83
    cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just watch out for beer or alcohol calories. Students are known for liking a drink or 10 and it can be too cheap to resist.
    You can eat healthily but stay away from "healthy" sandwich shops which actually can have more fat and calories than a burger...
    I agree with the others, you will be walking a lot more and taking public transport unless you buy a car...
    Pub meals are generally going to be high in calories, but I did love a Sunday roast when I lived in London :-)

It can be too easy to get home delivery takeout food in everything you can imagine. You get all these pamphlets through the letterbox and they are usually quite cheap.... I knew I had had too many Chinese takeaways when I would ring and they wouldn't even need to ask who I was or what I wanted... sigh...

I don't know what size you are in clothes, but a good shop is www.yoursclothing.co.uk (they are online AND have shops depending on where you are) and lots of the "regular" high street shops do go to bigger sizes too.

EDIT: Just looked at your profile and you don't look "plus size" for the UK. You will be able to shop your heart out :smiley:

Where are you going in England?

• Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I would say the range of food is wider in the UK than in U.S. in terms of fresh produce, dairy and whole food. Also a much bigger selection of artisan anything, cheese especially.

The level of excess in fast food is less in UK, and there's less choice. Although you get fatty greasy food I've yet to see it on the same scale - fry ups included!! Echo the food is more expensive in UK, probably a factor in portions being smaller and you will likely walk much more.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    When I went to New York... Everything was HUGE portions and all processed greasy stuff. Although the Applebee's breakfast we had was amazing. Anyway...

I live in the UK. We eat smaller portions. We don't all live on tea and crumpets like they will have you believe. We have Supermarkets which sell plenty of good fresh produce. To help you out... Lidl and Aldi are great on a budget as is Asda (Not as naff as Walmart but close ha ha) then you have stores like Morrisons and Tesco which are more expensive. Sainsburys is amazing but not always cheap. So depends on your budget really.

Most "pub" chains supply dietary information on their websites so it's easy to plan a meal. I usually have Pasta Pomodoro at Wetherspoons. It's lush and only 401 calories for a decent sized portion.

We are mostly a friendly bunch in the UK and if you have requests like no sauce etc they will happily oblige.

Most important thing to remember and relish is... We don't need tipping ;)
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    All good answers so far. When I was in America (Nevada/Arizona) the portions were SO much bigger than I was used to, it was hilarious. A note on regional differences (as a displaced Londoner): If you're living in the North of England, they call lunch 'dinner' and dinner 'tea'. In the South we call them lunch and dinner. Also, sometimes Northerners call a bread roll a barm. Do not panic ;)

Definitely second 'Spoons as a student staple. Cheap booze and food, but they offer healthy options too.
  • penelopepittstopsmam
    penelopepittstopsmam Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hope you enjoy yourself over here. Youll love the history. Nothing much more to add about portions etc.

in our great nation, tea solves most problems. What it doesnt solve, alcohol will. Id definitely be aware of the strong alcohol based student culture. Student life isnt great for the average persons weight.
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    All good answers so far. When I was in America (Nevada/Arizona) the portions were SO much bigger than I was used to, it was hilarious. A note on regional differences (as a displaced Londoner): If you're living in the North of England, they call lunch 'dinner' and dinner 'tea'. In the South we call them lunch and dinner. Also, sometimes Northerners call a bread roll a barm. Do not panic ;)

Definitely second 'Spoons as a student staple. Cheap booze and food, but they offer healthy options too.

I'm a Midlander... We call em COBS HAHAHAHAHA
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've never been to the US so I'm going by what I see here, and on TV. I get the impression that meat is cheaper in the US. We do eat a lot of meat in the UK, but not quite so much of things like chicken breasts which I see people eating. I think minced beef and sausages are more common family food.

There are loads of bakers (or maybe that's because I'm in the north). Baked goods are good value calorie-wise (not necessarily health-wise!) for fast food - about 80p for a big sausage roll. I think Greggs is the big bakers chain but there are others depending on what area you're in. (Independent one-shop bakers are rare now, I think). They sell bread, cakes, and a lot of savoury things made with pastry: meat pies, cheese straws, pasties, pork pies, etc. Where you are in the UK will determine what sort of pies and cakes are on offer. If I visit a new part of the UK, I love visiting the local bakers and seeing what they've got! (Even if I don't buy - as I said, cheap but high calorie goods!).

I don't think people eat out quite as much in the UK - it's an occasional thing, rather than a regular thing. It's quite expensive to eat out. Takeaways are expensive and high calories, as a rule - mainly Indian, Chinese, pizza/kebab/fried chicken/Turkish, fish and chips. You probably do need to have fish and chips at least once! Preferrably with mushy peas, gravy or curry sauce, and scraps (pieces of deep-fried batter which are normally thrown away, but considered a delicacy). Indian and Chinese food are usually British versions. British Indian food tends to have fatty sauces, and huge portions of bread (naan). British Chinese food tends to have a lot of fried rice, deep-fried things, and sugary sauces. But depending where you are, you could find some more low-calorie and authentic cuisine.

So yes, I think there is a lot of high-calorie food here, but it's usually more of an occasional indulgence. Almost everybody I know cooks homemade meals in the evenings, brings in food for lunch at work, etc.

Mealtimes often depend on worktimes, but pretty much breakfast, dinner and tea. However, some people have a supper late in the evening. And some people with children serve an earlier evening meal to the children and eat a grown-up evening meal later on. As mentioned above, most people have a light breakfast or none at all (porridge, toast, cereal). A "full English" breakfast isn't usual, except for treats at the weekends or in B&Bs, but a smaller version (bacon sandwiches, etc.) is more common, and often offerred by takeaway sandwich places.

"Elevenses" used to be common (@samgamgee above made me think of that!), and a lot of people do still have a cup of tea and a biscuit midmorning - again, depends on work, etc.! Afternoon tea became fashionable again a few years back - it isn't what people would normally eat, but another occasional weekend treat (sandwiches, scones, cake and tea at a teashop).

Personally, I find it quite easy to find fresh vegetables and so on, so cooking for a diet isn't a problem, unless you're in a rural area. Public transport isn't brilliant but seems to be used more than the US from what I've read, and there are a lot of places that deliver - the big supermarkets, Ocado, organic veg deliveries, even local shops.

I noticed you're coming over to study, and student life can be a bit different. Lots of heavy drinking, I mean really heavy drinking, by my standards - usually going to clubs with student discounts and drinking strange drinks that are on offer! And eating seems to involve a lot of things like cereal, beans and toast and takeaway pizza. Not that everybody lives like that, or that you have to, but quite a lot of students seem to when they first leave home! From what I've seen the places to eat on campus aren't particularly cheap. But it should be easy enough to find, cook and make healthy food.

I hope you have a wonderful stay!
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yes tipping is technically optional, some places add a certain percent for large groups but that will be marked on the menu and the bill. I always try to tip in cash though, if I'm paying by card.

If you do tip, 10% is plenty, and a nice thing to do for table service type places. If it's a pub or cafe where I order and pay at the bar then I don't tip.

For everything else it really depends on where you are. If you're in a university town then you'll probably be on public transport or cycle, or just walk.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I disagree about the food in the US being all greasy, processed and huge serves. You can find whatever food you like.... Healthy food and fresh, often organic produce was plentiful and easy to find (and cheap compared to Australia) , both when eating out and shopping in supermarkets. I don't understand how people struggle to stick to healthy options...
    Options
    I disagree about the food in the US being all greasy, processed and huge serves. You can find whatever food you like.... Healthy food and fresh, often organic produce was plentiful and easy to find (and cheap compared to Australia) , both when eating out and shopping in supermarkets. I don't understand how people struggle to stick to healthy options...

I was there 4 days in a hotel. Trust me... All we found in restaurants was greasy junk. Tasty greasy junk but none the less ;)
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    This thread has made me think that perhaps I'm living on some strange far flung planet in another galaxy...

Don't worry, we do have food on planet Britland. Most of it is edible but not all. We eat what we want when we are hungry (or bored), pretty much like the rest of the world.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    This thread has made me think that perhaps I'm living on some strange far flung planet in another galaxy...

Don't worry, we do have food on planet Britland. Most of it is edible but not all. We eat what we want when we are hungry (or bored), pretty much like the rest of the world.

i would second this
    loads of choice here to suit all budgets. how much you eat is up to you. enjoy your stay.
    Options

We only eat crumpets and drink tea. That's all the world thinks we consume! Ha ha
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »

We only eat crumpets and drink tea. That's all the world thinks we consume! Ha ha

For elevenses ;)
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a pub/restaurant chain and our breakfasts could be anywhere from 1000 to 2000 calories, so if you're eating out, be wary. If you're ever in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, see how many branches of Greggs (kind of a bakery version of McDonalds) you can see. If you go more than a couple of minutes without seeing one, you're not in Newcastle anymore.