Gaining anf lifting. how much red meat is ok?

Options
How much red meat is ok a week? I'm trying to gain healthy weight while lifting. Some say no red meat and some say some is ok? Any advice please

Replies

• sorbus33rowan
    sorbus33rowan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Everyone will have a different opinion. I would say none atall, down to the cholesterol, saturated fat, and various hormones, chemicals, carcinogens, etc. I would stick to plant proteins such as legumes, wholegrains, and nuts. They tend to be low in fat, and unwanted chemicals. They also tend to have fibre, vitmins, and minerals.
  • sorbus33rowan
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Everyone will have a different opinion. I would say none atall, down to the cholesterol, saturated fat, and various hormones, chemicals, carcinogens, etc. I would stick to plant proteins such as legumes, wholegrains, and nuts. They tend to be low in fat, and unwanted chemicals. They also tend to have fibre, vitmins, and minerals.
    No, please don't come into this section with that nonsense.

Look up the effects of dietary cholesterol on the body. Also the relationship between saturated fat and testosterone.

I have thank you. Different studies say different things, it depend who funds them and who's conclusion you read. There is plenty of evidence to show that saturated fat and cholesterol are very bad for you. Perhaps you should look it up as well.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Yeah, hitting protein from plant sources while lifting sounds fun!

Red meat is fine, OP, some people say stick to once or twice a week but I couldn't face chicken and fish all the time. I have red meat 4/5 times a week (for either lunch or dinner) - it's doing me no harm, and is delicious! :)

• 3laine75
    Options

Look up the effects of dietary cholesterol on the body. Also the relationship between saturated fat and testosterone.

I have thank you. Different studies say different things, it depend who funds them and who's conclusion you read. There is plenty of evidence to show that saturated fat and cholesterol are very bad for you. Perhaps you should look it up as well.

No one is trying to force you to eat meat so why push vegan on others?
  • sorbus33rowan
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

I did not mention veganism? This person asked for opinions on red meat, so I gave my opinion on red meat. As I said many people have different opinions due to the conflicting studies but I think red meat is not healthy in the long term.
  • aimsr23
    aimsr23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Red meat is fine, OP, some people say stick to once or twice a week but I couldn't face chicken and fish all the time. I have red meat 4/5 times a week (for either lunch or dinner) - it's doing me no harm, and is delicious! :)

Thank you. I'm getting sick of chicken quickly :) I'm going to add red meat into my diet a couple times a week.
  • 3laine75
    Options

I did not mention veganism? This person asked for opinions on red meat, so I gave my opinion on red meat. As I said many people have different opinions due to the conflicting studies but I think red meat is not healthy in the long term.

Well, plant-based suggest vegan to me, apologies if that's not the case. She asked about red meat in conjunction with gaining weight and lifting - are you doing either of those?

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    ALL THE RED MEAT
  • sorbus33rowan
    Options

Well, plant-based suggest vegan to me, apologies if that's not the case. She asked about red meat in conjunction with gaining weight and lifting - are you doing either of those?

I suggested plant based protein sources as legumes and nuts particularly are very healthy from what I've heard. I'm really not suggesting anyone to go vegan here, although not to say there aren't plenty of healthy vegan weight lifters.
    And yes I am in the process of gaining weight and muscle, and I don't consume red meat.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    aimsr23 wrote: »

Thank you. I'm getting sick of chicken quickly :) I'm going to add red meat into my diet a couple times a week.

Get to the butchers missy, you deserve a steak! :smiley:

• sorbus33rowan
    Options

I have looked it up thank you. Anyway it's pretty clear that your knowledge base on general nutrition is lacking. Thankfully the OP was smart enough to ignore your flawed advice.

In what way is my knowledge of general nutrition lacking, what am I missing?
  • sorbus33rowan
    Options

I have looked it up thank you. Anyway it's pretty clear that your knowledge base on general nutrition is lacking. Thankfully the OP was smart enough to ignore your flawed advice.

From what I can see, a lot.

I don't understand. Can you link me to something, or suggest some reading?
  • 3laine75
    edited April 2015
    Options

I suggested plant based protein sources as legumes and nuts particularly are very healthy from what I've heard. I'm really not suggesting anyone to go vegan here, although not to say there aren't plenty of healthy vegan weight lifters.
    And yes I am in the process of gaining weight and muscle, and I don't consume red meat.

Oh, okay.....

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Could you share some of these studies please.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    aimsr23 wrote: »

Perfectly fine. Also, you can add fish and seafood if you want to up your protein (and are usually a good source of Omega 3).
  • sorbus33rowan
    Options

s

From what I can see, a lot.

I don't understand. Can you link me to something, or suggest some reading?

Where you aware that the recommended limits on dietary cholesterol are being loosened this year?
    You never answered, are you aware of the role that saturated fat plays with testosterone?

Are you aware that the people that make those guidelines often work for or are paid by the food industry? Often people dying from heart disease have 'healthy' cholesterol due to the fact the safe cholesterol limits aren't tight enough.
    No I haven't I'll look it up, thanks. I haven't seen any non biased saturated fat studies in a while, it's all saturated fat is the devil, or the dairy industry funding things to say dairy fat is less bad.