Break-up during weight loss

Options
Today I was dumped.

All I want to do is lie in bed, cry and eat.

How am I supposed to motivate myself to do anything?

Has this happened to anyone else recently? Did you eat to numb the pain? I don't want to destroy all my hard work but I just don't want to do anything.

Replies

• pandyjambo
    pandyjambo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would start off by addressing the fact that you want to eat when you are sad. That's not a healthy view on food and in the long run will undo all your good work.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eating is only a very, very temporary 'relief' to the pain you are feeling. You will feel TWICE as bad once you start recovering from the heartbreak and realize you've gained 10 pounds due to stress eating. He's not worth it!! Don't sabotage yourself and undo all your hard work.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Keep a diary and try to write it out instead of eating xx
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    pandyjambo
    I would think that many of us eat when we are upset, which is why we are overweight. We are also aware of it. Your comment was not exactly helpful.
    lisasp4
    It has been a long time since I was in your shoes (being dumped that is). Yet, I remember the soul deep pain of it. Start small, just some exercise moves or stretches. As you achieve this one thing, be proud of who you are and what you have accomplished! Then move to another - like making a healthy breakfast. Smile while you eat, knowing another great person is out there waiting for the new you.
    You can do it! I have confidence in you.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Exercise.... Take up boxing and release your anger/sadness on to a punching bag. It's very therapeutic!

Ask yourself if the food you want to eat is going to make you feel better. Likely not. Choose foods that nourish you, and be happy that you're treating your body with love and respect.

Make time to see people you love - friends, family - and do things you enjoy. Get out of the house, buy yourself a fabulous outfit or some shoes or jewellery, get your hair done, have a massage/facial etc. Spoil yourself with non food related things...
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    lisasp4 wrote: »
    Today I was dumped.

Has this happened to anyone else recently? Did you eat to numb the pain? I don't want to destroy all my hard work but I just don't want to do anything.

I had a breakup right before I started my latest stint on here (almost at a 400 day streak). Messy breakup, not the best relationship, slightly relieved I was out, ect. I let myself eat what I wanted to for a short period afterwards, before throwing in the "I'm sad" towel and starting on here.

Give yourself the time to grieve the loss of the relationship. If that means having an extra scoop of ice cream, or treating yourself to a nice dinner, so be it! If you're stressed about gaining, continue to log, and plan those splurges into your intake. I also found that working out and changing up my intake helped me feel loads better about moving on from that relationship. I know it's really hard to find the motivation right now, but even getting up to do a 10 minute walk outside can do wonders to help clear your head.

I would say to take it easy today. You've just been through a huge shock. Make sure you do something nice for yourself today, because you deserve it.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Ironically, I looked my best during my divorce. I invested my spare time in a new hobby which happened to be kayaking. I also worked out a lot more. I used all my spent energy into working out ..it was therapeutic.

Find something to distract yourself. As previous poster indicated, eating is a temporary fix.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Today it is ok to be in crisis mode. I am so sorry you are going through this. Take today to grieve and cry and reach out to friends. Try not to overeat...but be gentle with yourself. Grief and loss need time.
    Perhaps by the end of the week you will be in a place where you will be motivated to want to look hot and attractive again. It can be incredibly motivating.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    pandyjambo
    I would think that many of us eat when we are upset, which is why we are overweight. We are also aware of it. Your comment was not exactly helpful.
    I think it was.

• kms22188
    kms22188 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have a little bit of chocolate or a dessert if you need to. But get to the gym and work that sadness right out of you! (Trust me, I've cried on the elliptical after a break-up. It happens.) It'll boost your confidence. You can buy a new awesome top to go out in. Not only will you feel great, but you will also look hella hot for that new boyfriend who realizes how truly amazing, smart, and beautiful you are. :) Good luck!
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You've already done yourself a favor by recognizing and acknowledging that you're in danger of faltering. Now is the time to make very conscious, thoughtful choices about your food, even more so that what you're probably used to. It is also a great time to substitute another behavior or activity for emotional eating.

I can't really offer suggestions since it would need to be personalized, but I can tell you what has ghelped and still helps me. Don't laugh...I taught myself how to crochet. It keeps my hands busy, but more importantly, it keeps my mind focused on counting stitches. Before I started logging my food again with MFP, simply substituting bored eating with crocheting helped me drop a few pounds. But the key is you have to actively engage yourself in changing your own behavior. Good luck :)
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sorry about getting dumped. It sucks.
    Emotional eating is a hard habit to break, but it won't make you feel better. (Believe me, I've tried).

Exercise is a good emotional and confidence boost when your life sucks. You probably don't feel like it, but forcing yourself out for some sweating can get some positive endorphins going, and help you sleep better. Even going for a walk can do you a lot of good.
    Hang out with friends.
    Go for a spa day.
    Write in a diary.
    Set a mini goal for something, something you can do in a week or two, and work toward it. Accomplishing things for yourself can be another way to boost your mood and confidence.

In short, do things for yourself. Remember how great you are and how worth your own time you are.

And, allow yourself to cry. Watch sad movies curled up in bed or listen to sad songs. Hug a teddy bear/pet/friend. If you want something comforting to consume, try hot tea. Drink lots of water, too.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When my ex asked for a divorce I lost 25 lbs in about 2 1/2 months. Grief makes me NOT eat. Regular stress is when I eat like a mad fool. I hope you get over the disappointment soon.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about it :( When I went through my last breakup I definitely did eat a little of the pain away but I really wanted to lose weight so if I ran into him again he'd see what he was missing lol so I kept it in check. I did the really cheesy thing where I left notes for myself all over my house. I put them all over my bathroom mirror especially so I'd see it first thing in the morning. Things like "You deserve love", "You are beautiful", "You will find love when the time is right" etc. Totally cheesy but it helped. I also took up more exercise and tried to keep myself busy, went out with friends more, took a class etc. Don't sabotage everything you've been doing. Take it day by day and know it will get better.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Sure, let the loser who dumped you win. Let that person be in control of your thoughts and actions, including creating emotional turmoil so great that you give up on yourself.

Go buy two gallons of ice cream, chips, soda, order pizza, go hog wild and have whatever you want to eat. Gorge yourself until you can't move. Wow. Feel better?! Nope.

I suggest a day of comfort, and self care. You deserve a pedicure, a spa massage, and a new hair cut. Get out of the house, focus on looking great. And focus on exercise plan for next week.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    lisasp4 wrote: »
    Today I was dumped.

I had a breakup right before I started my latest stint on here (almost at a 400 day streak). Messy breakup, not the best relationship, slightly relieved I was out, ect. I let myself eat what I wanted to for a short period afterwards, before throwing in the "I'm sad" towel and starting on here.

Give yourself the time to grieve the loss of the relationship. If that means having an extra scoop of ice cream, or treating yourself to a nice dinner, so be it! If you're stressed about gaining, continue to log, and plan those splurges into your intake. I also found that working out and changing up my intake helped me feel loads better about moving on from that relationship. I know it's really hard to find the motivation right now, but even getting up to do a 10 minute walk outside can do wonders to help clear your head.

I would say to take it easy today. You've just been through a huge shock. Make sure you do something nice for yourself today, because you deserve it.

I think all of this is great advice. It's not the end of the world if you take some time to be gentle on yourself. I wouldn't recommend not logging, but consider switching back to maintenance for a little bit while you find things other than food that sooth you. (Not exactly an easy task.)

For me, it was running. For you, it might be boxing, lifting, running, or even something I can't think of. :)
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your ex-boyfriend has a fat fetish.
    Now pick yourself up off the ground and get to it. You need discipline. Life is full of hardship and pain.

• amo314
    amo314 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you are going through this...it really is sad. Let yourself stay in bed and sleep and have a pity party TODAY. Then get yourself to the gym or start exercising or something. Once you are exercising you will release some happy hormones and you may start feeling better. If you are exercising, you may also want to eat better. Don't let this set back set you back everywhere.
  • lisasp4
    lisasp4 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. There are tonnes of good suggestions here.

You are right - I'd just end up feeling even worse about myself if I binged because I was sad.

What better revenge than looking super fit and making him realise what he's just thrown away :smiley:
  • shaylalaine
    shaylalaine Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I get dumped, often, sometimes I give up on everything and other times I have lost weight at a break up by walking it off. I just walk and keep going, like I could walk away from all my trouble, run away from it all for a while. my heart has so many stitches, bandaids, duct tape holding it together, I truly understand your pain.
    Re-read your post as if a stranger wrote it, what would you say to her? what's your advice? Trust yourself and follow your own advice.
    I hope your pain subsides quickly, I am truly sorry we have this is common