Protein Shakes or Protien Food

Options
I am trying to incorporate more protein in my diet, can you please help me with some protein ideas in a day? Protein Shakes or Protein Food which is best or both and some examples please!

Replies

• WomenCanBeBeastModeToo
    WomenCanBeBeastModeToo Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I lift weights so I used a lot of protein. I use MuscleTech 100% Whey after a workout. I eat a lot of scrambled eggs. I also like mixed nuts...not a lot but a small handful. HIGH in protein...and good fats.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, dairy, nuts, avocados, legumes, peanut butter, tofu, quinoa

If those don't work - protein powder or protein bars are great too! Cellucor PB marshmallow whey is delicious, and I am a fan of the chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bars.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    thank you!!
  • vha2
    vha2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't know why more people don't recommend seafood! I think it's very high protein considering the generally low number of calories that go with it. From what I've seen on these MBs, people tend to jump straight to legumes, eggs, and dairy. Maybe the quality of seafood isn't that good where they live, or maybe they don't like it. Some people are fussy like that ;)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    My go to protein snacks, in my order of frequency:

Liberte Greek Yogurt
    Shrimp with cocktail sauce
    Trutein protein shake (cinnabun)
    Cottage Cheese
    snack sized flavoured tuna can
  • jordanify
    jordanify Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I second vha2 and blankiefinder with seafood!!! Boiled shrimp, tuna, my fave smoked salmon. I also have my husband grill chicken breasts so I can throw in salads or just snack on a few chunks.
    nuts are a fat source not really protein.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If by "protein food" you mean regular food that is high in protein, I'm all about well-prepared meat, seafood, eggs, quinoa, cheese. But then it has never occurred to me to drink protein powder.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    vha2 wrote: »
    I don't know why more people don't recommend seafood! I think it's very high protein considering the generally low number of calories that go with it. From what I've seen on these MBs, people tend to jump straight to legumes, eggs, and dairy. Maybe the quality of seafood isn't that good where they live, or maybe they don't like it. Some people are fussy like that ;)
    Most of us say lean meats - seafood is included in that ;)
  • goingtobefit2015
    Options
    Awesome..thank you so much I appreciate all the responses. I am trying to increase my protein with food instead of powder. I do like seafood and actually had some salmon last night! I got all my protein in and then some a few days ago. I had tuna as a snack too!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Awesome..thank you so much I appreciate all the responses. I am trying to increase my protein with food instead of powder. I do like seafood and actually had some salmon last night! I got all my protein in and then some a few days ago. I had tuna as a snack too!

There ya go! I've been trying to "wean" off of protein shakes (only because I don't like the taste). I've been eating more fish--tilapia, salmon, catfish, etc. Wow, what a difference. At least for me, I can eat "a lot" of it for little calories, lots of protein, and it's easy to eat (tastier than a chalky whey shake, IMO).
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Quest bars my favorite ones would be White Chocolate Raspberry & Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
    Peas have a decent amount of protein
    Meats like Steak, Pork, Chicken, & Tilapia (I love that you can eat a ton of Tilapia for not a lot of calories)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I see the protein demands of some of our bulkers, it makes sense that they supplement with whey powder. You can only eat so much chicken breast. So I think you are on the right track. Eat first, supplement later.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    vha2 wrote: »
    I don't know why more people don't recommend seafood!

Usually covered by "lean meat" or just "meat" in my mind, but I usually mention it. Unless the person is a vegetarian, of course, and doesn't eat it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm generally over my protein even without supplementing (I supplement sometimes, mainly because I enjoy the occasional protein bar as a snack and because I like oatmeal from time to time and don't find it filling unless I add protein).

In case any of these are helpful, my tricks (although at this point they are just how I eat) are as follows:

2 eggs (vegetable omelet) plus some other kind of protein (usually dairy or smoked salmon), since the eggs alone aren't that much unless you add egg whites (or have more eggs than I personally desire).

Make sure lunch has a decent amount of protein and isn't primarily carbs (as with many sandwiches). I often bring leftovers from dinner or cook up a turkey breast or leg for weekday meals, which I combine with veggies and some extras. If I buy lunch I tend to go for salads with protein or rice/quinoa bowls with meat and veggies or a chicken chili, based on the options around me. When I do a sandwich I made sure it has a decent amount of protein and often those are the days I supplement with a snack.

Lately I tend to have an afternoon snack and it usually has some protein. Often a lot, as with greek yogurt or a protein bar (which I eat because I enjoy, not simply for the protein), sometimes less, as with nuts and dried fruit.

Dinner is usually primarily meat (or fish) and veggies, plus a smaller amount of some sort of starch, so it contributes a good bit of protein.

I on occasion (was doing it more during Lent and am trying to continue) substitute tofu or beans for the meat portions of the above meals, although in reality I'm more likely to have beans with a smaller portion of meat rather than just beans.

The key here is that I typically do have some protein any time I eat. If I know I'll be largely skipping it for a meal (like when we went out for pizza, since I don't care for meat on pizza), I tend to plan for that the rest of the day.

I'm not actually that obsessed with getting huge amounts of protein--I think I would be fine with less than I get--but eating this way actually makes eating well easier for me overall. (But I'm someone who tends to enjoy protein and fat more than most carbs, on average, so am more satisfied eating this way.)
  • goingtobefit2015
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing I'm so happy to be on MFP!
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Whole foods > protein shakes
  • MatthewOttewell
    MatthewOttewell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    vfit10 wrote: »
    Whole foods > protein shakes

Well other than this quote the information here is pretty solid. Protein choices (of the 3 macro groups) are the easiest to make...unlike fats and carbs which can come in various forms that drastically change their physiological attributes.

So other than looking out for what else comes with the protein you consume, eat what you enjoy.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I hardly use shakes anymore... just not filling for the calories.

Please don't listen to the 'nuts' recommendations. Nuts are great for you but they're a good source of FAT, NOT of protein. Ditto for avocado.

So yeah... lean meats, Greek yogurt/ricotta/cottage cheese, seafood, eggs are great.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I prefer food to shakes and my go to foods are as follows:

greek yogurt - great snacks
    seafood
    fish
    chicken
    cheese
    eggs
    meat in general

If I am looking for a good source of protein I try to make sure that there is 1 gram of protein for every 10 calories or as close to that as I can get....it was explained to me that the ratio means it is a "good" source of protein.

barring that I will add protein powder to my smoothie in the morning
  • loisseau
    loisseau Posts: 14 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I make banana bread with nuts, and a third of the flour I replace with vanilla-flavored protein whey powder. The oil is replaced with applesauce. Because I haven't any issues with sucralose (Splenda), I use baking Splenda instead of sugar. 1/2 inch slice is 150 cals, 26 carbs, 4 protein and quiets the sweet tooth, and you can make it yourself.