Protein Shakes or Protien Food

Options
2»

Replies

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    its really up to you, I personally have a protein smoothie every morning before work, because its quick filling for me when I have to rush out the door and wont have the opritunity to eat for a few hours. but all the suggestions above are great .
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So many good suggestions on here! I've been having the same problem (changing my diet to 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fats) and having trouble getting over 100g of protein without going over my other macros, especially fats.
    I'm wary of seafood because it's usually pricey, smelly (don't want to be the "fish" girl at the office) and doesn't keep as well as chicken, though I do try to work tuna and salmon in for dinners.
    I'm having trouble finding good Greek yogurts that don't have tons of added stuff/sugars, as my grocery store doesn't seem to carry a plain options in the brands I like....

Cheese doesn't seem like a good suggestion to me....most are fairly high in fat, no?
    I eat a lot of avocados and "good" fats, so I'm really looking for the leanest, highest protein options. And protein powders irritate my IBS so I try to keep those to a minimum.

• MatthewOttewell
    MatthewOttewell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    AndiJH wrote: »
    So many good suggestions on here! I've been having the same problem (changing my diet to 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fats) and having trouble getting over 100g of protein without going over my other macros, especially fats.
    I'm wary of seafood because it's usually pricey, smelly (don't want to be the "fish" girl at the office) and doesn't keep as well as chicken, though I do try to work tuna and salmon in for dinners.
    I'm having trouble finding good Greek yogurts that don't have tons of added stuff/sugars, as my grocery store doesn't seem to carry a plain options in the brands I like....

Cheese doesn't seem like a good suggestion to me....most are fairly high in fat, no?
    I eat a lot of avocados and "good" fats, so I'm really looking for the leanest, highest protein options. And protein powders irritate my IBS so I try to keep those to a minimum.

Every try black bean spaghetti? It is an easy source of 30 grams of protein with tons of fiber.
  • tanklifetj
    tanklifetj Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Shakes are great for recovery because of speed and ease in digestion. Foods are the bulk of your protein and typically give you more steady energy as well as a range of nutrients that are hard to stomach in shake form.

I do 4 meals and 2 shakes a day currently. I do a chocolate peanut butter shake after I lift and a fruit juice shake after I do extensive cardio. A shake is really very easy to manage when you are trying to keep things down to a perfect intake count because there is no loss of nutrient content from cooking and the weights typically do not require any flexibility for taste, unlike cooking.

Both are really important though, and the overall way in which you get your protein from food is where it counts there. To really build an effective diet profile though knowing any limitations on your diet, or anything you abstain from by choice is key. Fish is a tremendous powerhouse of protein, and typically a nice lean white fish with a simple olive oil and herb glaze is not only really tasty but has a great amount of healthy fats that compliment the protein intake itself.
  • AndiJH
    Options

Every try black bean spaghetti? It is an easy source of 30 grams of protein with tons of fiber.

Never heard of it! Sounds high in carbs though. Do you have a link to a recipe?
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    loisseau wrote: »
    I make banana bread with nuts, and a third of the flour I replace with vanilla-flavored protein whey powder. The oil is replaced with applesauce. Because I haven't any issues with sucralose (Splenda), I use baking Splenda instead of sugar. 1/2 inch slice is 150 cals, 26 carbs, 4 protein and quiets the sweet tooth, and you can make it yourself.

Sounds awesome thanks for sharing!
  • kimberlyanne0522
    kimberlyanne0522 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Following this post... I almost posted it myself. I too am looking at new ways to incorporate protein. I've branched out with some good ways over the last year but am always looking for more ways. Anyone feel free to add me so that we can share diaries and provide ideas :)
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I tend to be low on my protein most days, so I do occasionally eat a protein bar that is also super tasty, or I might use protein powder if I'm super low. However, you should definitely add protein rich foods. Meat, beans, tofu, dairy, eggs, basically what others have listed. Start with food, if you can't get it high enough, supplement.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When I see the protein demands of some of our bulkers, it makes sense that they supplement with whey powder. You can only eat so much chicken breast. So I think you are on the right track. Eat first, supplement later.

I am not a "bulker" but to get close to my protein goal I do use a protein powder every morning before I head to the gym.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @AndiJH , you might try making your own yogurt. If you nurture the cultures along, you can continue to make yogurt from the cultures of your last batch.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463846792077/

Fats aren't so bad, as long as you are cautious with portions. They are satiating and provide long-term energy.
  • swinefish
    swinefish Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A nice way to get some extra protein in the mornings if you're willing to use protein powder (this is actually my only use of it) is to mix a scoop of protein powder into instant oats before cooking them. Gives amazing flavour and boosts the protein content nicely.
  • AndiJH
    Options
    @jgnatca I don't own a crockpot, no room in my tiny apartment, unfortunately :'(
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    AndiJH wrote: »
    @jgnatca I don't own a crockpot, no room in my tiny apartment, unfortunately :'(

You really don't need a slowcooker either. I've been using my oven (not turned on). If I notice the temp dip too low, I just turn on the broiler for about 30 seconds and it's good for another couple of hours. Google homemade yogurt and there are a lot of tutorials. I've been making mine 1/2 gallon at a time, which ends up only being about 4 C of greek style yogurt.

You could also buy big containers of plain yogurt and strain it to get the greek style. It's usually easier to find plain unsweetened yogurt in big tubs. It reduces the carbs when you strain the whey out, so you can get more protein with fewer carbs by straining the yogurt.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    swinefish wrote: »
    A nice way to get some extra protein in the mornings if you're willing to use protein powder (this is actually my only use of it) is to mix a scoop of protein powder into instant oats before cooking them. Gives amazing flavour and boosts the protein content nicely.

Good idea never thought of that!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I do two protein shakes every day 50-60 grams total that equals about 20-25% of my protein INTAKE- Anyone have a use for about 100 empty protein jugs please come pick them up..
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @AndiJH I've made yogurt in a mini-cooler filled with mason jars, one jar filled with boiling water. Close the lid and I have a warm, moist, sterile environment friendly to growing probiotics.
  • AndiJH
    Options
    @jgnatca @weird_me2 Thanks for all the ideas! I'll have to see if these are feasible :)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Food. I prefer to cook from scratch wherever I can so I know what goes into our food. Protein powders leave me feeling uneasy as to sources so I've just not gone there.

Pedestrian but easy: Yoghurt, cottage cheese, tuna. Nuts or egg if I need some fats too.

Always makes me feel good: Indian spicy chickpeas with a little rice + yoghurt; also often make green lentils or incorporate them in soups and stews to up protein content + I like the flavour.

Not related to the foregoing, oven roasted spicy chickpeas are a good snack food.

More tasty: lamb kebabs/greek roasted lamb, grilled tuna, grilled bone-in chicken done just so, roast fresh turkey, I could go on.
  • JoReddBowe
    JoReddBowe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always shoot for real food but have some protein powder on hand for when I'm slacking. I don't like a lot of chicken, but I've discovered the I love shredded canned chicken. I know it's all chemicals and sodium but it's protein and a few corners cut on some recipes.