Banning women from running marathons...

Options

Replies

• jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that Of_Monsters is the Jonathan Swift of MFP. I could be wrong though...
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    boyddt_mn wrote: »
    of_monsters, I'm surprised that you feel that historical media should be censored, as though turning a blind eye to the worlds problems will make them go away. It is because we get to re-live our past through the media, be it photos, movies or text that we hopefully learn from our forefathers mistakes. Would you censor the attacks on the civil rights protesters from the 50's & 60's? How about the pictures from Dachau or Auschwitz. Though I'm sure that Mrs. Switzer was probably upset with what was happening at the time, she is also probably really proud of what was accomplished.
    There are dirty and nasty pieces of our society which do make us uncomfortable to see and remember, that doesn't mean we should avoid them.

This is not the place for that, though. Forum rules are forum rules.

A fitness forum is not the place to share some sports history to salute the progress allowing women to participate in the Boston Marathon, on the day of the Boston Marathon? Considering how many people...women included (you might not realize) are actively training for marathons and are here for the reason of support and advice...its odd you feel the topic of marathons have no place here.

Or is it runners? Or is it women? Not sure which of these you have an issue with actually.

I don't even want to know. Im asking all these rhetorical questions I dont actually think I want to know the answer to LoL! Oh well. History made its impact on the world as we know it today...some people will have a problem with it. So it is.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    What the heck is going on in this thread? Somebody's got a case of the Mondays.

Oh, and in before the lock
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    of_monsters, I'm surprised that you feel that historical media should be censored, as though turning a blind eye to the worlds problems will make them go away. It is because we get to re-live our past through the media, be it photos, movies or text that we hopefully learn from our forefathers mistakes. Would you censor the attacks on the civil rights protesters from the 50's & 60's? How about the pictures from Dachau or Auschwitz. Though I'm sure that Mrs. Switzer was probably upset with what was happening at the time, she is also probably really proud of what was accomplished.
    There are dirty and nasty pieces of our society which do make us uncomfortable to see and remember, that doesn't mean we should avoid them.

A fitness forum is not the place to share some sports history to salute the progress allowing women to participate in the Boston Marathon, on the day of the Boston Marathon? Considering how many people...women included (you might not realize) are actively training for marathons and are here for the reason of support and advice...its odd you feel the topic of marathons have no place here.

Or is it runners? Or is it women? Not sure which of these you have an issue with actually.

I don't even want to know. Im asking all these rhetorical questions I dont actually think I want to know the answer to LoL! Oh well. History made its impact on the world as we know it today...some people will have a problem with it. So it is.

The topic of marathons do have a place here. What are you talking about? That's a rhetorical question.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that Of_Monsters is the Jonathan Swift of MFP. I could be wrong though...

wha??
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Neeever mind. Great post. I read the article a while ago and really loved it. Thanks for sharing - I'm going to reread it now.
  • Dragn77
    Options

The topic of marathons do have a place here. What are you talking about? That's a rhetorical question.

My point exactly and what I was questioning. Im not the one who said that this topic doesnt have a place here...this guy did:

Oh wait... thats you.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

The topic of marathons are allowed here, but apparently not pictures portraying the history of sexism in sport.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

My point exactly and what I was questioning. Im not the one who said that this topic doesnt have a place here...this guy did:

Oh wait... thats you.

You're confused. I'm reading defense for the image in these comments, not the original post's written content. Nice try though.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    These images contain hateful, violent imagery. People should not be attacked like that. :'(

8. Posts Must Abide By All Legal Statutes

c) Images containing hateful or violent imagery, depiction of illegal activities, or copyrighted material are not allowed and will be removed.

The OP was showing how far we've come and celebrating how women can now participate in marathons...you can't be blind to what happened in the past!

I've seen enough of both @Of_Monsters_and_Meat monsters_and @_John_ in the threads to know that they thrive on trolling and snark...so I'm unfazed. Unfortunately though, this thread is taking a turn that I didn't intend it to and will probably end up locked. MFP never fails to disappoint, lol!

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Oh FFS
    OP please consider deleting the photo so we can discuss the article and the evolution of women in sport rather than the focus being on the pic.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

At first, I thought that was Taylor's brother. Now that I have Binged it(not Googled) I have now found that I am mistaken.

LOL! I'm guessing you haven't read A Modest Proposal?
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Oh FFS
    OP please consider deleting the photo so we can discuss the article and the evolution of women in sport rather than the focus being on the pic.

It's too late for me to do it now.

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    These images contain hateful, violent imagery. People should not be attacked like that. :'(

8. Posts Must Abide By All Legal Statutes

c) Images containing hateful or violent imagery, depiction of illegal activities, or copyrighted material are not allowed and will be removed.

The OP was showing how far we've come and celebrating how women can now participate in marathons...you can't be blind to what happened in the past!

I've seen enough of both @Of_Monsters_and_Meat monsters_and @_John_ in the threads to know that they thrive on trolling and snark...so I'm unfazed.

Congratulations+you+win+the+internet+_1be57d972869644a5456051ed8404e12.jpg
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    My female MFP friend just finished Boston!

She had a great time, just over 3hours.
    I won't post her official time since it's hers to brag about.
    But I'm ridiculously excited for her and I've never even met her lol
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Oh FFS

I suspect that poster would find a way to nitpick. If you're genuinely triggered by this picture, please seek help because I'm sure your life is miserable in many ways.

Thank you, OP. I actually first saw these pictures on Tumblr . . .with no trigger warning.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I came across Kathrine Switzer's story late last year and she has become a big inspiration. This event happened in my lifetime, which I find stunning. Thank you so much for bringing this story forward.

She signed up for the marathon as "K Switzer".

There was no gender identification on the form because, well, it was assumed that it was dangerous for women to participate in events like this.
  • Dragn77
    edited April 2015
    Options

Oh wait... thats you.

You're confused. I'm reading defense for the image in these comments, not the original post's written content. Nice try though.

Very nice try...success even. All we see in this photo, as I pointed out, is Semple being pushed away from Switzer by her husband when he tried to reach for her number. That the imagery of him defending his wife to allow her to complete the race is so offensive to you and of_monsters is unfortunate. I find this to be powerful imagary of a woman who was brave enough to be the first, and paved the way for many. Not confusion...just my personal opinion, of which you disagree. Fair enough. That is all.