Options

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Oh FFS
    OP please consider deleting the photo so we can discuss the article and the evolution of women in sport rather than the focus being on the pic.

I suspect that poster would find a way to nitpick. If you're genuinely triggered by this picture, please seek help because I'm sure your life is miserable in many ways.

Thank you, OP. I actually first saw these pictures on Tumblr . . .with no trigger warning.
    Sigh. You're probably right about that. I was just hoping to avoid the thread getting shut down by some trigger-happy goofball taking the rules out of context.

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    boyddt_mn wrote: »
    of_monsters, I'm surprised that you feel that historical media should be censored, as though turning a blind eye to the worlds problems will make them go away. It is because we get to re-live our past through the media, be it photos, movies or text that we hopefully learn from our forefathers mistakes. Would you censor the attacks on the civil rights protesters from the 50's & 60's? How about the pictures from Dachau or Auschwitz. Though I'm sure that Mrs. Switzer was probably upset with what was happening at the time, she is also probably really proud of what was accomplished.
    There are dirty and nasty pieces of our society which do make us uncomfortable to see and remember, that doesn't mean we should avoid them.

This is not the place for that, though. Forum rules are forum rules.

A fitness forum is not the place to share some sports history to salute the progress allowing women to participate in the Boston Marathon, on the day of the Boston Marathon? Considering how many people...women included (you might not realize) are actively training for marathons and are here for the reason of support and advice...its odd you feel the topic of marathons have no place here.

Or is it runners? Or is it women? Not sure which of these you have an issue with actually.

I don't even want to know. Im asking all these rhetorical questions I dont actually think I want to know the answer to LoL! Oh well. History made its impact on the world as we know it today...some people will have a problem with it. So it is.

The topic of marathons are allowed here, but apparently not pictures portraying the history of sexism in sport.

Apparently indeed. Ah well, at least it does not change history and what we now have to show for what happened that day. Theres always a bright side. :blush:
  • borrowingmoonlight
    borrowingmoonlight Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how out of hand this thread got so quickly, and on such an inspiring post. Sometimes I look around me and it's hard to believe that it's actually 2015. To those of you who would cower away from the history that's brought us through the crucible of progress, you should be ashamed. Thank you for posting this and sticking by it.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that Of_Monsters is the Jonathan Swift of MFP. I could be wrong though...

At first, I thought that was Taylor's brother. Now that I have Binged it(not Googled) I have now found that I am mistaken.

LOL! I'm guessing you haven't read A Modest Proposal?

I keep hearing about this "reading" thing. I really should give it a try. Actually, reading to my daughter at night has kind of peaked my interest a little. We've gotten through the original War of the Worlds and we're making our way through Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I have not read A Modest Proposal, sorry.

You can Bing it :)
    I'm guessing your daughter is younger so I wouldn't recommend adding this to the reading list...just fyi.
    That's great you read to her. I love reading to my son as well...it can be very good for development and it's great for bonding too.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I still remember the days when girls could only play half-court basketball in gym class. Full court was considered too strenuous for our "delicate" systems. I was in HS when Title IX passed. My mom was a gym teacher and within a month already was forming a track team, one of a handful that were the first girl's interscholastic teams in our state.
  • Dragn77
    Options
    These images contain hateful, violent imagery. People should not be attacked like that. :'(

8. Posts Must Abide By All Legal Statutes

c) Images containing hateful or violent imagery, depiction of illegal activities, or copyrighted material are not allowed and will be removed.

The OP was showing how far we've come and celebrating how women can now participate in marathons...you can't be blind to what happened in the past!

I've seen enough of both @Of_Monsters_and_Meat monsters_and @_John_ in the threads to know that they thrive on trolling and snark...so I'm unfazed. Unfortunately though, this thread is taking a turn that I didn't intend it to and will probably end up locked. MFP never fails to disappoint, lol!

I wish I had known about that before I responded... Im usually so good at avoiding people who say stuff just to troll and stir the pot! I feel like I got Rick Rolled LMFAO!

Anyway...I thank you for posting this. I only found out about it a couple weeks ago and definitely found it inspiring. I even actually contemplated picking up running again but uhhh, realized I really need to get myself to my dr first. I might actually need surgery. Blah. But very excited for everyone who can run, and those who do a marathon like this. Men *and* women alike...its a tough race!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I came across Kathrine Switzer's story late last year and she has become a big inspiration. This event happened in my lifetime, which I find stunning. Thank you so much for bringing this story forward.

She signed up for the marathon as "K Switzer".

There was no gender identification on the form because, well, it was assumed that it was dangerous for women to participate in events like this.

I read this great article about a woman runner here in Maine.
    Her mother told her that long distance running would injure her uterus.
    I wish I could find that article, it was amazing

ETA: after much searching, found it!
    http://www.ellsworthamerican.com/sports/part-1-ellsworths-robin-emery-pioneered-womens-running
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    As long as she's home in time to cook dinner, I see no reason why a woman shouldn't be allowed to run a Marathon.
  • Dragn77
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    As long as she's home in time to cook dinner, I see no reason why a woman shouldn't be allowed to run a Marathon.

Now *thats* how you s*** stir a pot LMFAO!!!!

Youre nuts :smiley:

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

i was wondering when you would show up.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »

i was wondering when you would show up.

I've seen him around too. He's just a big softie. :p

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Her husband had nice legs.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    what's the deal with the gloves on all the runners? was gardening an after marathon requirement?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    what's the deal with the gloves on all the runners? was gardening an after marathon requirement?

What's the deal with the stupid face?

It was probably cold. We are talking about Boston in April.
  • MissMary75044
    MissMary75044 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I still remember the days when girls could only play half-court basketball in gym class. Full court was considered too strenuous for our "delicate" systems. I was in HS when Title IX passed. My mom was a gym teacher and within a month already was forming a track team, one of a handful that were the first girl's interscholastic teams in our state.

You have an awesome mom.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options

Wow this is really cool. Thank you for sharing
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    haven't we already reached the point where sperm cells can be artificially created by female cells so that men are no longer needed and can therefore be exterminated to cease causing any of the world's problems?

Nah, not really. We can shift some DNA around and end up with what could debateably be called a clone, depending on how you want to define it, but truly modifying a cell to make a functioning sperm cell is a few years off.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    haven't we already reached the point where sperm cells can be artificially created by female cells so that men are no longer needed and can therefore be exterminated to cease causing any of the world's problems?

Nah, not really. We can shift some DNA around and end up with what could debateably be called a clone, depending on how you want to define it, but truly modifying a cell to make a functioning sperm cell is a few years off.

good to know i only have to tolerate men for a little while longer

cyayaqd02hpu.gif

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

You have an awesome mom.

She is still around and living in her home at 94. She is also a huge sports fan, especially college basketball.

Title IX did so much for women in sports and gave them so many more opportunities, but the ones we really have to remember are the pioneers. Women like Babe Didrikson Zaharias and the first women to run the Boston Marathon proved that you can be athletic and still be a woman. You are not going to "turn into a man" or mess up your baby making insides if you exert yourself. I am the generation that saw the change.

• Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    So, I have sort of a general question for everyone. I'm honestly not trying to push or lead towards any specific conclusion. I just want to know what people think.

Segregating a marathon seems pretty ridiculous. How anyone could be harmed by running next to someone who's an innie rather than an outtie, I'll never know. But, what about sports where there could possibly (depending on who you ask) be an added safety issue because of size and strength disparity, the full contact categories like rugby or football.

Obviously women aren't wilting flowers. They participate in dangerous sports all the time. In high school, my girlfriend on the gymnastics team spent way more time injured than I or my football playing male friends did.

Is there an argument for segregating something like rugby since the addition of men, as opposed to an all girl team, is going to make it significantly more dangerous? What about with kids as opposed to adult women?