Find walking boring

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I live in the woods so I don't go walking, I go adventuring. I pick a beach or a trail I am not used to and find something I did not know was there. Are there any wildlife refuges, state parks, or other outdoors places near you?

Good ideas!

Sometimes I will drive or take public transportation to an area that I don't know and check out something new on foot. I will pick a park on the other side of town and go for a long walk, stroll through a historic neighborhood, etc. Last week I checked out a pioneer cemetery that I don't know well--very interesting place to walk with beautiful grounds.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I like listening to podcast or audio books when I walk, also take my dog along, if you can't change your route to a more scenic one.
    Or else find a different exercise to do.
    The treadmill is twice as boring than walking outside...(to me anyway) :) A tv to watch while on treadmill does help.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    I also tend to get bored on walks; that's why I set myself up a destination somewhere to go on my walk. I may walk 35 minutes to the grocery store and then 35 minutes home just to buy a bag of cat food.
    Ha! Walk to the second closest Safeway to your house to buy a jug of milk. Walk back home. Then walk back there again to get a Snickers bar :smile:

• Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If I run alone, I always listen to podcasts, Audible books or music. Definitely makes the miles go by faster.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    you could crawl!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I find treadmills to be excruciatingly boring. Find a reason to walk. Do you have a coffee shop near you? Walk there and get yourself a coffee. My bank is 8/10ths of a mile away so I walk there and back. The convenience store where I get my eggs is 1 mile away so I walk there and back. Walgreens is 1.2 miles away. I even have a 2.75 mile circle I can walk that passes by the convenience store, Walgreens, grocery store, and a McDonalds if I want a coffee.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I find walking very boring, so I ride a bicycle. But never inside, because that is mind numbingly boring.

I tried cycling inside but kept running into walls!
  • rinteusp
    rinteusp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The Zombies, Run app is awesome - there are several out there to make the routes more interesting. :)
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    There is a pretty little neighborhood a couple of blocks away that has a three mile loop. Pretty old houses and some mini mansions, bridge views and city views and water front. No one is hardly ever outside when I walk (7:00 a.m.) but the birds. It allows my mind to wander. Lately I have had company which makes it go faster. But even on days when I am alone I like it because I can think. I have solved problems, planned the day and plotted stories all while walking. Sometimes it's nice to just be unplugged and alone with your thoughts, I doubt you are bored with your own mind!
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I play pretend. I pretend I'm a Victorias secret Angel. :tongue:

Yes, I'm serious.

Music does weird things with my imagination.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Audiobooks. I "read" an extra two or three books a week just by having my headphones on when I go for walks. I don't necessarily think being a little bored on a walk is a bad idea though. Think of it as a form of meditation. We're just CONSTANTLY inundated with entertainment. It's probably good to work on your ability to be comfortable and contented with just the stimulation of your own thoughts. But, I'm being one of those jerks who proselytize or answers their own question rather than the OP's, so I stand by my original thought: audiobooks. There are tons available for free via library services and librivox too, if you end up going a little nuts with them like I have. Podcasts are great too. There are also newspapers that put out free or cheap audio format editions. Oh, and augmented reality games like Ingress can be fun. Adds a "goal" to your walk other than just ticking off calories.

As others said, a dog can be a great companion for walks. If one doesn't fit in your life right now, there are lots of charities that look for people to walk the dogs of the elderly and infirmed. They really improve their quality of life, but it's often quite difficult physically to get the dogs the exercise they need. You can do something good for your community, and make your walks a little more fun at the same time.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Download a few pod casts. Listen to a book on tape. I practice coffee break french nearly every day (podcasts) . Plan to adventure out to walk somewhere new on your days off. I totally look forward to this time.
  • kellyannecandy
    kellyannecandy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, you're all really helpful and given me loads of ideas. (I especially like the "racing myself one" , will definitely sort some music out and find some new places to walk
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I also tend to get bored on walks; that's why I set myself up a destination somewhere to go on my walk. I may walk 35 minutes to the grocery store and then 35 minutes home just to buy a bag of cat food.
    Ha! Walk to the second closest Safeway to your house to buy a jug of milk. Walk back home. Then walk back there again to get a Snickers bar :smile:

Yeah, I tried that with Quzino's. My favorite sandwich there is over 700 calories, so I figured walking 20 minutes there and back would bring it down to an acceptable amount for lunch. NOPE. XD
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Try this. You won't be so bored if you are running to save your life.

https://www.zombiesrungame.com/
    Was just about to suggest this. Pretty sure it can be used during walking as well.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Yeah, I tried that with Quzino's. My favorite sandwich there is over 700 calories, so I figured walking 20 minutes there and back would bring it down to an acceptable amount for lunch. NOPE. XD

I do this with chocolate. If I want it, I have to walk to the store to get it.

I fit it in my daily eating plan too. :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    I find walking very boring, so I ride a bicycle. But never inside, because that is mind numbingly boring.

I tried cycling inside but kept running into walls!

Omg lol! I just spit out my drink when I read this.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    ... not quite up to running standard at the moment! haha

Do not let fear stop you. Fear of looking silly. Fear of not being able to do it. Fear of having to stop. Whatever your fear is... drop it at the door and get out and do it.

I speak from experience, I procrastinated getting back to running because I feared comparing unfit me to how I used to be. All that did was delay getting back on track by years.

Start slow, and build slow and before you know it you'll look back with amazement at your progress.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Nope. Can't say that do. But walking is sort of what I do all day as a part of my job. I don't often go to walking as a source of additional exercise. In my experience the best way to get into an exercise program that you will stick to is to find an activity that you enjoy doing that just happens to also require physical effort. for me that is martial arts and horseback riding. For others it might be dancing, volleyball, tennis, zumba or something else. Find something you love to do and you will never find exercise boring. :)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments so I'm sorry if this is repeated. My library has free book downloads that I put on my iPod. It makes walking a joy!