Half marathon 2 weeks from today...Can I do this?

Options

Replies

• MatthewOttewell
    MatthewOttewell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    You can walk a half-marathon in 4 hours. A 4.0 mph walk with no running is 3 hours 17 minutes. The reason why reasonably untrained people die is because they go out too hard at the start, completely exhaust themselves, and struggle the last 3-6 miles.

Walk the first half and then attempt your 2 minute/1 minute pace the last half. I bet you can come close to 3 hours doing that.

Why even bother though? What would be the point?

If you had read her post, she has been running since the start of the year. If that is accurate, and she has put in the type of mileage she says she has, it is more than likely that she can jog a majority of the half-marathon.

The point:

1) Gives a baseline target for next time;
    2) Increases the chances of a next time (especially if she doesn't have a miserable experience);
    3) Increases the chances of her taking it more seriously.

We don't make kids practice for a year before they play their first hockey game or baseball game. Sometimes you need to get thrown in the deep end to figure out what you are actually doing all of this work for...otherwise it just seems hypothetical.
  • deucemon69
    deucemon69 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Since you are taking a run and walk strategy with the half, you should be okay to get it under the 4 hour limit. I would say go for it especially since this is your first one. It is more about the experience for your first time than anything.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You can walk a half-marathon in 4 hours. A 4.0 mph walk with no running is 3 hours 17 minutes. The reason why reasonably untrained people die is because they go out too hard at the start, completely exhaust themselves, and struggle the last 3-6 miles.

Walk the first half and then attempt your 2 minute/1 minute pace the last half. I bet you can come close to 3 hours doing that.

If you had read her post, she has been running since the start of the year. If that is accurate, and she has put in the type of mileage she says she has, it is more than likely that she can jog a majority of the half-marathon.

The point:

2) Increases the chances of a next time (especially if she doesn't have a miserable experience);

We don't make kids practice for a year before they play their first hockey game or baseball game. Sometimes you need to get thrown in the deep end to figure out what you are actually doing all of this work for...otherwise it just seems hypothetical.

She also said she wasn't properly trained for it. I personally do not see any point in testing myself at a race I am not prepared for just to "finish" it.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

The point:

She also hasn't run more than 6.5mi and without her stroller/child.
    And unless the race allows bib transfers this close to race date, she'd be banditting the race.
  • jmagdalena707
    jmagdalena707 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Doable? Sure. The best idea? probably not.

This.

I've gone into a half marathon underprepared and it was not a fun experience. I finished but it was pretty miserable. I do not recommend.

Is there a 10k option?

Same. I finished, but it totally sucked.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you decided to do the 5k (if they allow bib transfers). Hey, free 5k!

And as a counter to the 'I didn't train and I still finished stuff' -

i do train for my races. This weekend I had the surprise option of running an ultramarathon (travel plans were delayed, a friend had to drop out of a local race at the last minute, and the race director approved the switch). I was only in 'marathon' shape, so I did the 50k (32ish miles). I finished it in 5:45. I was tired but not really sore after. I jogged a 5k this morning to get the kinks out, and will probably be back to full strength within 2 weeks. Why would I want to kill myself doing the longer distance, just to say I did it, even though I wasn't trained properly? That's dumb. There are races every week. Its not like this was the last 50 miler that anyone would ever put on.
  • MatthewOttewell
    Options

The point:

She also said she wasn't properly trained for it. I personally do not see any point in testing myself at a race I am not prepared for just to "finish" it.

Where did she say she wasn't properly trained for it? She asked very specifically is it doable with no time goal. She was apprehensive and wanted advice.

She's running 4/1 splits 6.5 miles with a stroller...and also says she felt good enough to run another 3 miles (in other words, she wasn't spent).

So you think that a person pushing a stroller doing 4/1s for 6.5 miles can't do 2/1s without a stroller for 13.1 miles? That's ridiculous. As for injury, running with a stroller is a great way to to get injured...not run/walking a half-marathon.

So essentially she asked for advice and you gave her crap advice. Good job.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you decided to do the 5k (if they allow bib transfers). Hey, free 5k!

i do train for my races. This weekend I had the surprise option of running an ultramarathon (travel plans were delayed, a friend had to drop out of a local race at the last minute, and the race director approved the switch). I was only in 'marathon' shape, so I did the 50k (32ish miles). I finished it in 5:45. I was tired but not really sore after. I jogged a 5k this morning to get the kinks out, and will probably be back to full strength within 2 weeks. Why would I want to kill myself doing the longer distance, just to say I did it, even though I wasn't trained properly? That's dumb. There are races every week. Its not like this was the last 50 miler that anyone would ever put on.

To be fair though, if you were actually in race-ready marathon shape, running 50k at a slower pace than marathon pace isn't really doing it "untrained". Now if you said 100 miles that would be a different story :)
  • MatthewOttewell
    Options

Not everyone is training for time. Training for 9 months before you run your first half is long enough that most people won't follow through (or they'll have a significant stretch where they stop running in between). Do you only race once a year? I didn't think so.

And comparing the training considerations of moving from a 26.2 mile race to a 50 mile race vs. going from 6.5 miles to 13.1 miles is really apples and oranges. If you run 6.5 miles comfortably you can keep that pace until the end of a half-marathon more times than not...maybe someone really untrained might bonk at 10 or 11...but even that is unlikely.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

The point:

Running - not racing - a half to baseline a future raced half? How does that work?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

To be fair though, if you were actually in race-ready marathon shape, running 50k at a slower pace than marathon pace isn't really doing it "untrained". Now if you said 100 miles that would be a different story :)

Ha, no that's the thing, i was trained. I wouldn't do the race I was untrained for. Because I would just knock myself out for longer.
  • glevinso
    Options

The point:

Running - not racing - a half to baseline a future raced half? How does that work?

It doesn't... but none of MatthewOttewell's posts are making that much sense
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

Not everyone is training for time. Training for 9 months before you run your first half is long enough that most people won't follow through (or they'll have a significant stretch where they stop running in between). Do you only race once a year? I didn't think so.

And comparing the training considerations of moving from a 26.2 mile race to a 50 mile race vs. going from 6.5 miles to 13.1 miles is really apples and oranges. If you run 6.5 miles comfortably you can keep that pace until the end of a half-marathon more times than not...maybe someone really untrained might bonk at 10 or 11...but even that is unlikely.

What? OP hasn't been training for 9 months...she has run 6.5 miles once (unless I missed an update). I guess I don't understand what point you're trying to make
  • glevinso
    Options

What? OP hasn't been training for 9 months...she has run 6.5 miles once (unless I missed an update). I guess I don't understand what point you're trying to make

I think he is trying to say there is value in simply traversing the distance on foot. I am not sure what that value is, but that seems to be his point.
  • MatthewOttewell
    Options

She was planning on racing her first half in the fall. That's 9 months. There is no such thing as a 9 month training program. Why expect that from a beginner when hardcore runners don't do it?

You don't need to run the actual race distance to be trained for an event. If that race goal is to "finish" under 4 hours, her training reflects a very easy ability to do that.

But then again, this is my first week on MyFitnessPal, and perhaps the recreational athletes give the advice here, just like the recreational eaters seem to be pretty secure in their ability to dish out proper diet strategy.

• glevinso
    edited April 2015
    Options

She was planning on racing her first half in the fall. That's 9 months. There is no such thing as a 9 month training program. Why expect that from a beginner when hardcore runners don't do it?

You don't need to run the actual race distance to be trained for an event. If that race goal is to "finish" under 4 hours, her training reflects a very easy ability to do that.

But then again, this is my first week on MyFitnessPal, and perhaps the recreational athletes give the advice here, just like the recreational eaters seem to be pretty secure in their ability to dish out proper diet strategy.
    You are implying you are a professional athlete?

Nobody is saying to train only for 9 months or anything hyperbolic like that. But jumping from a 6.5max long run to a 13 mile race is not a good idea for anybody. We are simply saying there is nothing to be gained by jumping the gun now and running the half. The OP is smartly taking that advice and downgrading to the 5k race.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

Ah yes, that very 'pro' strategy of suddenly jumping into a run that is more than double the longest you've ever run, months ahead of your training schedule. How could I have forgotten it?

No one said she wouldn't be able to finish it, just that its not a really great idea. Why risk injury when there is literally nothing on the line? She didn't even pay for the race. Plus, if bib transfers are allowed, she can set a reliable 5k baseline to plan interval workouts off of for her real training. I think she made a very wise choice.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    While I'm glad the OP is doing the 5k some races like the Cherry Blossom 10 miler in DC has a limit on time. 14 minute average or they 'scoop' you up at this year's Cherry Blossom. Luckily in Pittsburgh they do not have this so you can be 50th from the end at 3:51 or last at 6:34 minutes. For a half marathon I'd say the city is pretty accommodating. The issues with running so slow is the folks who need to work these races like EMT's, firefighters, police etc. and then the volunteers who give a fair amount of time. Food for thought.
  • teacton11
    teacton11 Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Cough..cough..Arthur Lydiard..cough ...cough.....sorry, excuse me, feeling a bit under the weather.

If OP had already done one before, even years before then I'd say pack up the stroller and make a day out of it just trying not to get hit by the street sweeper. Enjoy, take pictures, be annoying to the other runner and so on. You don't need to be trained to go that distance, you just have to be trained to go that distance in a timely manner.

BUT

Since this would be your first then nope. Train and wait for the day when you can get the full experience.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Earlier I read a quote from Dathan Ritzenhein who just finished 7th at Boston today saying that tomorrow his 10 month training plan for the Olympic Trials starts. So... hardcore runners do have 9+ month training plans. And a beginner would need a 9+ month training plan to get into running and build up their muscular and skeletal systems in order to participate in an endurance event with less risk of injury.

OP, I'm glad to hear that you're planning on the 5k! I think that's a much wiser decision, and I hope your training for your fall half goes well! :)