Are all calories equal

Options

Replies

• Hermie123451982
    Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ok maybe I used the fast food example as a worst case scenario I was just curious as to what would happen if they both consumed 1400 but with very different eating habits would the results vary massively. Thanks for all your replys.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It depends. [Edit: for the record, "it depends" is always the correct answer to a hypothetical with inadequate facts to allow for a meaningful answer.]

Probably not, however, as there are going to be lots of other differences not mentioned.
  • kerussll
    kerussll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would say no. Coincidentally, things could match up so it looks about the same, but there are too many other factors at play. Say they have a mild insulin resistance: the one eating lots of sugar is not going to lose as much weight as the one eating healthy vegetables and lean meats. The one eating crap is probably not going to have as much energy to work out. The one eating more protein will be able to build more muscle and speed their metabolism that way. Calories do matter, and staying within your recommended range is a great start to lose weight. But to see dramatic results, you really need to put good stuff in your body.
  • jibeirish
    jibeirish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    no i dont think so... eating a hundred calories of cake is not the same as eating a hundred calories of chicken.... fatty, sugary, high calorie foods cause weight gain because they stimulate the bodies fat storage genes
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    anitabix3 wrote: »
    no i dont think so... eating a hundred calories of cake is not the same as eating a hundred calories of chicken.... fatty, sugary, high calorie foods cause weight gain because they stimulate the bodies fat storage genes

Source?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    elliej wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie but other macros and nutrients also have impact on our bodies functions too, which contribute to overall health, if not specifically weight (i.e. fatigue, muscle mass, skin)
    This. Also mentioning that nutrient dense options are usually lower in caloric value, so total volume of food is usually more versus options in fast food. So while some may go the fast food route, they may also have to learn how to refrain from snacking in between to keep calorie count in check.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

ohboy.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    shaunte92 wrote: »
    Idk... Maybe? But it perplexes me when people go on "diets" or consider themselves being healthy by eating the same crappy food just in smaller amounts.

Do they? I don't know anyone who ate really badly, went on a diet just by reducing portion size, and then claimed to be eating "healthy."
    why not care about nutrients & what you're putting in your body?

You'd have to ask someone who doesn't.

My guess is that some people don't enjoy a lot of nutrient dense foods (at least there are endless posts on MFP about pickiness), and others believe--sensibly, IMO--that changes often work best if they are broken into smaller pieces. It might be really hard to change overall ways of eating for lots of reasons, but it might be less hard to reduce portion size and add a multi. And if you have lots to lose losing weight is the number one healthy thing you can do for yourself. (In other words, no, it's not simply vain, although like you I also have nothing against vanity--it's one reason of several that I care about my diet.)

For me, it's much easier to get motivated to lose if I focus on eating really nutrient-dense foods and a balanced diet and so on--and this may well be the case for you too--but it's not for everyone. Also, from my perspective, it's probably as common or more so to start a diet and think you must get rid of all "non diet" foods (which people often identify as anything they really like or anything higher calorie), and IMO that's a good way to make it non sustainable.

Most likely people will figure out what works for them as they go on and if they are trying to eat lots of so-called junk food on low calories will realize that doesn't work because it's not satiating, and start moving toward more nutrient dense foods.

Or, maybe they won't.

I honestly don't understand why other people care.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A (edited to correct) nutrition professor recently did an experiment that is along these lines. His diet consisted of Twinkies and other crap food. The result was that he still lost weight because he remained in a calorie deficit. So the answer is that a calorie is a calorie (scientifically speaking, one calorie is equal to the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 °C, or 4.1868 joules). It is a measurable amount of energy, but your macro and micro nutrients are not equal for all calories across the board. So while a person may lose weight eating fast food, they will probably not be as healthy as the otherwise identical person eating the same calories from healthy foods.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories regardless of source when consumed by the body. If you didn't know it yet, fat storage is CONSTANT in any person. It differs from a genetic standpoint individual to individual, but it's always ON. Any surplus of calories will get stored as energy and/or mass added to the body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a twin study of weight loss where as many variables as possible were eliminated. The twins were on the same diet, though.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v25/n4/full/0801559a.html

I say that fat loss would be the same for both participants.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Regardless of overall energy deficit/balance? Really? That's not how it works.

Protein spikes insulin too. We are constantly storing and burning fat. An energy surplus (excess of calories) causes us to store excess fat. An energy deficit causes us to lose fat. An energy balance causes us to burn/store fat at a rate that we maintain our weight. Simplistically speaking.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Oh this will end well.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh this will end well.

Post the picture of the brownie. It will prove which calories are superior.

• shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Idk... Maybe? But it perplexes me when people go on "diets" or consider themselves being healthy by eating the same crappy food just in smaller amounts.

Do they? I don't know anyone who ate really badly, went on a diet just by reducing portion size, and then claimed to be eating "healthy."
    why not care about nutrients & what you're putting in your body?

You'd have to ask someone who doesn't.

My guess is that some people don't enjoy a lot of nutrient dense foods (at least there are endless posts on MFP about pickiness), and others believe--sensibly, IMO--that changes often work best if they are broken into smaller pieces. It might be really hard to change overall ways of eating for lots of reasons, but it might be less hard to reduce portion size and add a multi. And if you have lots to lose losing weight is the number one healthy thing you can do for yourself. (In other words, no, it's not simply vain, although like you I also have nothing against vanity--it's one reason of several that I care about my diet.)

For me, it's much easier to get motivated to lose if I focus on eating really nutrient-dense foods and a balanced diet and so on--and this may well be the case for you too--but it's not for everyone. Also, from my perspective, it's probably as common or more so to start a diet and think you must get rid of all "non diet" foods (which people often identify as anything they really like or anything higher calorie), and IMO that's a good way to make it non sustainable.

Most likely people will figure out what works for them as they go on and if they are trying to eat lots of so-called junk food on low calories will realize that doesn't work because it's not satiating, and start moving toward more nutrient dense foods.

Or, maybe they won't.

I honestly don't understand why other people care.

Hmm, I'm not particularly concerned with anyone's diet besides mine. But, if the question was posed (& it was) I have an opinion on it. I totally agree that you should do whatever works for you. I personally could never sustain on 1400 calories of fast food & was just saying j think it's a bad idea to start off like this. In my eyes it doesn't represent real change. & again, the question was posed... I didn't just start a post entitled " YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS..." Lol
    I think everything you stated was said eloquently though, some factors I wasn't considering.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Idk... Maybe? But it perplexes me when people go on "diets" or consider themselves being healthy by eating the same crappy food just in smaller amounts. You will lose weight, but why not care about nutrients & what you're putting in your body? I am by know means super strict on my diet. Definitely a proponent of eating anything you desire in moderation. But I would say I consider 80% of the stuff I consume "healthy". But if my entire diet consisted of fast food & junk I would still feel like I was making poor choices. Worrying solely about weight loss is vain... But we're all a little vain so I get it

I might be able to respond to this (the bolded part.)

I have "dieted" off and on for 30 years. I have attempted to eat "clean" and exercise and in the end, I fail every time because my interpretation of these concepts has been too rigid. I may get all inspired and decide that I will cook every meal from scratch and pack my lunch to work with me every day and create an ambitous work out plan. I never can last more than a week.

It's just too much of a departure from my normal routine and prefered foods. It becomes a burden and a hassle. So I have learned that, in order to stick to a weight loss regimen, I have to compromise. I weigh and measure my food as much as I can and I log it so that I can tell when I'm nearing my calorie limit. I eat what I normally eat, but in smaller portions as needed. I exercise, but I only do things I like. It's working.

In the end I think it's more important for me to keep my weight within a healthy range than hit all my macros and micros.