Treadmill tip I found

Options

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt get on a treadmill if I had a balance issue..I wouldnt want to break something lol..Id figure on something else..I mean, why do it if you dont get the benefits you are supposed to? I would find something that I could do where I would get the full benefit. Hey do what you want. But for me, its a waste of time if I cant get what I am supposed to get out of it. It's like eating chips. No nutritional value but hey, its eating.

Because there are still benefits.

I broke my leg and soon I'll be able to go to the gym again.
    You bet your *kitten* I'll be walking on the treadmill and I might have to hold on.
    And you can bet that if you said *kitten* to me, you'd get an earful back.
    You do not know someone's medical history.
    Walking on the treadmill, holding on, might be part of their recovery plan.
    You might not see the benefits to it and that's your own problem.

Do not judge what you do not know.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I will look around and people watch so I notice what people do on the treadmill, elliptical, etc. but I don't really care what they are doing. I am sure that people see me walking slowly while writing in a notebook and get horked off about it but, again, I don't care.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    So what about people with balance problems? Are they not allowed to use the treadmill? Should they remain at home or go outside?

Balance problems often come from weak muscles and connectivity issues, especially in the lower legs. For those people, holding on to the treadmill rails isn't the answer - strengthening their bodies is the answer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    This will probably not end well.

I don't care what people do on the treadmill, but I always wonder about people on the stair machine. Not that they hold the handles - you're supposed to do that, and I do it too. I'm sure I'd fall and seriously injure myself if I didn't. But the people who lean forward and put all their weight on their arms... what benefit are they getting from the machine by draping themselves over it?
    If you try the Stepmill, just climbing without your hands holding on, you'd realize that you really can't go as fast as you can holding on. Also your heart rate will get up just as fast at a lower speed with "light" hands just as well as a higher speed holding on tightly. The arms take away a lot of the resistance when you use them.
    If you do have to hold on, hold to the front of the rails where your arms provide less reduction of resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Who the heck said Im judging?? I found this article and thought Id share it for those who may want to know. Im not the treadmill police. I said it twice, do what you want. Some people like tips etc. I know I do. That's how I learn. I thought tips were helpful. I know personally, Ive got tips on here that have helped me.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Honestly - I detest posts like this. As if people aren't intimidated enough by the gym. We should actively try to give them more reasons to feel self conscious and judged.

I hold on, very lightly, when I'm on the treadmill. For two reasons: 1) I've literally been on a treadmill three times in my life. I'm still learning. 2) I have a brain condition that gives me balance issues and again, I want to be safe and learn my limits.

I'm not on the treadmill for maximum workout efficiency. I'm on there to cool down from my lifting session. I have excellent posture and I'm not worried about fake running.

And at least I'm putting the extra effort into working out instead of judging people.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    So what about people with balance problems? Are they not allowed to use the treadmill? Should they remain at home or go outside?
    If there's an issue with balance, then by all means use the handrails, but for those with none, they should try to refrain from using them. Of course there are exceptions like if they are sprinting and then jumping off to side rails using their hands (HIIT intervals for example).
    But if it's steady state cardio, try to not involve holding on.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    The point behind the post is a good one, but the delivery is all wrong.

This would have gone over better: "Hey guys, did you know that holding onto the treadmill can reduce the work you're actually doing? Here's a link." than the OP up there. The OP, while it may not be intended, is judgey. What another does at the gym doesn't impact your workout. And what you consider as "cheating" yourself out of a good workout may actually whoop another person's butt. Not all of us are on the same fitness level nor have the same goals in mind.
  • shortntall1
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh lord. Really? If you knew me in real life you would see I am the last one to judge. I truly thought these forums were for asking questions, getting tips and advice from those who have been there before. I didnt write the article. I just shared it because I thought it was helpful.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but it's posts like this that make the anxious not want to go to gym.

Time and again, we see posts from people terrified to be judged in the gym. Then they are told, "no one is watching you" but you are! Why? They might be hurting their workout, but it's not hurting yours.
    Eh, if I saw someone doing it and they were plodding along on an incline treadmill, after their workout I'd mention to them that they aren't using their time as efficiently with all the hard work they are putting in doing it that way. Of course being a trainer in the gym, my advice might be more accepted than someone who's just another member.
    But glancing around any gym, you'll catch people doing things that aren't as efficient, but it's just a glance. Hardly will anyone else say anything to them and they would be aware.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of minding my own business at the gym.

I can think of lots of legitimate reasons to hold onto the treadmill. Some people have balance issues due to inner ear problems. Some people are prone to debilitating migraines that come on extremely suddenly. Some people are just not confident enough to let go yet. It's none of my business, unless they've hired me as their personal trainer (and they haven't).

On the rare occasions when you see me on a treadmill, you'll probably see me holding on lightly, especially at the beginning. I usually run outside, and on the rare occasions when I have to use a treadmill instead, it takes my brain about ten minutes to get the hang of the whole "hey, the road is moving" thing.

If someone were to come and tell me I was doing it wrong, I'm pretty sure they would regret it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of minding my own business at the gym.

I can think of lots of legitimate reasons to hold onto the treadmill. Some people have balance issues due to inner ear problems. Some people are prone to debilitating migraines that come on extremely suddenly. Some people are just not confident enough to let go yet. It's none of my business, unless they've hired me as their personal trainer (and they haven't).

On the rare occasions when you see me on a treadmill, you'll probably see me holding on lightly, especially at the beginning. I usually run outside, and on the rare occasions when I have to use a treadmill instead, it takes my brain about ten minutes to get the hang of the whole "hey, the road is moving" thing.

If someone were to come and tell me I was doing it wrong, I'm pretty sure they would regret it.

LOL. So much this.

Mind your own business.
  • shortntall1
    Options
    I apologize for sharing something I found that I thought was helpful. If my delivery was wrong, then I apologize for that, too. I just honestly thought it would be something interesting to share.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The only other judging I do in the gym is the weightlifting dudes who lift stuff that is too heavy for them, then DROP THE WEIGHT. Don't they know they get tree times the workout putting that weight down S L O W L Y?
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The only other judging I do in the gym is the weightlifting dudes who lift stuff that is too heavy for them, then DROP THE WEIGHT. Don't they know they get tree times the workout putting that weight down S L O W L Y?

Yeah, but putting the weights down slowly doesn't get everyone to notice them...
  • shortntall1
    Options
    You think when I was 315lbs, I didnt think people were judging me whether I was at the gym or outside? Ive been the one at the gym who felt like I didnt fit in but I told myself I had every right to be there just like anyone else. And if I thought I was burning 300 calories when I was really only burning 150, I would have liked to know. Thats all I meant.
  • PRMinx
    Options

And here is why you shouldn't judge. It's pretty clear you don't know anything about heavy lifting.

Dropping weight doesn't mean it's too heavy for you.
  • courtneyallisonatx
    courtneyallisonatx Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    OP, we get it. stop defending yourself, people don't read all the posts and you'll have to keep doing it over and over again as people make comments.

You said your peace and apologized, its over.. stop worrying about it! :)
  • shortntall1
    Options
    OK :)
  • PRMinx
    edited April 2015
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Yeah, but putting the weights down slowly doesn't get everyone to notice them...

Or, they dropped it because they were going for a 1rm and didn't get under it right and had to bail out safely. Or, they failed a rep, grip slipped, etc. Or, they need to drop that weight because "putting it down slowly" can be dangerous (ex. heavy deadlift, heavy clean).

Again, don't judge things you know nothing about.