I suck

Options

Replies

• JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    I find it helpful to eat several times a day but I just have smaller portions. Instead of thinking about what I can't have, I try to focus on what I can have. Instead of a king size reeses peanut butter cup, I'll have a smaller lower calorie option like pretzel m & m's. I still get chocolate but it's much less than I would have had otherwise. Good luck and by the way, making baby steps are easier to stick to in the long run.
  • diembroadhurst
    Options
    I think you need to turn this thing on its head and see what you have been doing positively.

1) you have started recording your food intake, which means you have accepted you should do something about your weight. Thats the hardest part.

2) By logging your food calories you are now more aware of exactly what you are consuming - and ok so you are not quite as low calorie wise as you should be - I dare say you are eating alot less than you were before you became so mindful about logging food. So you are probably eating less and that will have an impact on the scales.

3) you are taking exercise - which means you are doing something more than your normal daily activity.

Don't be disheartened - these are all really positive steps and you should be proud - little changes all add up and make BIG differences.

Now you just need to make small changes to the types of foods you eat, reduce portion sizes, choose lower calorie options and increase your veg and fruit intake so that it satisfies your appetite a bit more. Also make sure you are drinking your fluids.

Some great first steps in your first week well done!!
  • smartmama4
    smartmama4 Posts: 30
    Options
    You can also use a 7" plate instead of a full size one. It makes me feel better if my plate is full! But your portion size will be smaller :)

I still struggle with chips and cookies. I just eat 2 cookies instead of my normal 4. And I drink A LOT of water so I feel full longer.
    HTH
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If you can't stop creating overages, then burn more to create the deficit. Otherwise, you already know what the better alternatives are. No one but yourself is going to make you eat what you want to eat. Processed food was designed to make you want them more. You're already holding yourself accountable for the food you take in, that's a start, at the very least. If you don't like seeing red numbers, there are obvious changes you know that need to be made.

That said, my switch over to eating healthier alternatives was pretty much immediate. I have a wide palate for flavors and food, so it wasn't a big deal. That and almost dying from diabetes kind of set the tone for my diet. To each their own. I wish you much success on your journey.
  • Shandke
    Shandke Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think the hardest part is learning to eat in moderation and figure out how much of the things you like to eat you can and still make your calorie goal. Once you start to figure in your usual items, you can adjust and play with what you should have and what isn't worth the extra calories. For instance...I eat out for lunch almost everyday, I know that I can have a reg hamburger if I give up the fries that go with it. Or I can have the smallest burger and small fries. Not that these are healthy, but I think you have to find and learn how to eat the things that you like...I couldn't change what I liked, so I needed to just adjust to how much I can eat of my favorites. I may not eat the Healthiest, but just by reducing what I naturally ate it seems to be a better diet naturally. Now I have also tried to identify lower fat and calorie items and ingrediants so I think that also helps change habits...hang in there. It takes some time and "dedication", but it does work....Good Luck!
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    First of all stop beating yourself up about it. Continue to log and make the effort and with time it will get easier. I've convinced my wife and it slowly has gotten better for her. Start controlling your portions better and you will find it easier to continue. Example: looking at your diary your meals are too high on the calorie end try to reduce them at first by making small changeable to portions like only half a slice of cheese or 1 cream rather than 2 in your coffee. Only half the bagel but the whole sandwich just like an open faced sandwich. You prob won't even taste the difference. The real challenge comes into play when changing the types of food your eating. Lose the bagel if you can have more eggs. Lose the starch carbs at dinner ( potatoes ) and have more broccoli. Bottom line increase the foods that are high in bulk like broccoli and other vegetables and low in calories 200 calories of broccoli is a lot more food than 200 calories of potatoes. This will also help you feel much more satisfied with the meal. Try to stay away from anything like potatoes or bread or rice after lunch and stick with the veggies. Hope this helps. Request me if you would like and I will drop a line from time to time with some pointers.

Fitness is a lifestyle not a quick fix. :) enjoy
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    First...you do NOT suck. This is hard! I just took a peek at your diary and I have a few suggestions:

- the cream at Time Hortons is VERY bad for you, see if you can switch to milk (skim would be best, but even whole milk is better than cream; added to that, try switching out sugar for a local sweetner like splenda or equal

- Switch from white breads to wheat breads or whole grain bread; sliced bread, rolls, bagels, pasta, etc

- try eating more filling snacks and fewer big meals; for snacks I'd try greek yogurt, peanuts, or almonds

- if you feel like you still need a big meal, make a salad to have at every meal, fill half the plate with the salad and half the plate with the meal.

Good luck and stay positive...it gets easier
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You have a good baseline now to see where you are and what you are eating! Now pick something to change and work from there. My suggestion would be to drop the almost 500 calorie coffee! That one coffee a day is enough to gain one pound of fat a week and so eliminating it is enough to lose 1 pound of fat a week! Also try adding a fruit or veggie to every meal. They help fill you up with no fat and only a few calories. Small changes can really add up over time so instead of overwhelming your self with lots of changes try something this week and then add another next week and so on. Before you know it you will be eating better painlessly and the weight will be coming off!
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    So I've only been on MFP for about a week, and I can't even get close to my calorie goal per day without going over by at least 1000 calories. I feel like a fat pig, And really, my net goal right now is almost 1500 I think (can't remember off the top of my head), and then I usually work out which adds me another 300 calories usually, so I'm technically allowed to eat almost 2000 calories per day, and I can't even manage that.

Anyone else have this problem in the beginning? How long did it take for you to change the way you eat, and any tips for me? I know I should be grabbing a banana instead of timmy's bagel for breakfast, and things like that, but once the thought is in my head it is soo hard to get out. Its like I get obsessed with the idea of whatever food pops in my head, and nothing else will satisfy me.

One of the main issues that I see with what your eating from what your tracking is wayy to much processed foods you have the right idea with consuming chicken, fruits and veggies just stay away from premade stuff. There is a reason all the healthy stuff is on the outside of the grocery store that is where everyone should stay if they are looking to lose weight and get healthy. Yes in the beginning its tough because you are retraining your body to properly use the right nutrients for what they are intened for such as carbs the are for energy now there is two kind of carbs simple and complex. simple carbs come from surag and they give you quick and short lasted energy, but complex are also know as slow digesting carbs and come from wheats and grains which when you are first starting ot train your body you should limit these to a extent but not totally because you need carbs just get them from wheats and sweet potatos.
  • jeseka619
    jeseka619 Posts: 21
    Options
    It is very difficult to retrain your brain - you are right! The first thing I would do, if i were you is cut out the 460 calories in Tim Horton's coffee drink in the mornings! That using up so many of your calories! Then slowly start to cut back on processed foods - i honestly believe that the processed food can be addictive. it takes time - hang in there!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Well, first off, you don't suck. This is a learning process, and you can only start from where you are.

Since you've been logging your foods, take a look back and see where you might be able to make some substitutions or reduce portion sizes. Don't try to do everything at once. For example, if you like Starbucks, try asking for 2 pumps of syrup in a grande instead of the usual 4. That will save you 50 calories right there. Or if you're doing mochas it will be even more. Of course, making coffee at home is even better since you can completely control what goes into it. That can be a longer term goal.

Don't think of this as all or nothing. It's not win or lose. It's about making better choices today than you did yesterday. Next year you'll be able to look back and be amazed at how far you've come.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you totally don't suck. This is just the first step to the rest of your (healthy) life. My diary's not the GREATEST, but it's public if you want to look at it. My goal is 1500 cals and I've stayed within those boundaries. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like! :)
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I checked your Food Diary and noticed it contains alot of processed food which is directly linked to alot of extra calories.

Eg. Tim's Double Double is 480 calories for your one cup of coffee. By comparison, you can have black coffee and add a couple shots of your own flavoured creamer for around 30-60 calories tops. That's a 420 cal difference.

Same goes for tha Bagel Belt. You can just as easily Poach an egg and toss it in an english muffin with some non-processed cheese for 1/2 that count. You hit almost 1000 calories in those two items alone.

Alot of the other items in your log appear processed or "instant prep" items (aka convenience foods) and double portions for most as well.

Minor changes here and there can make all the difference in the world.

Cheers!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    It takes time! This is a LIFETIME change, not a temporary thing.

Be kinder to yourself. It makes me sad to see you so down on yourself for not changing your habits overnight. That's not a reasonable expectation for ANYBODY. Beating up on yourself isn't helpful.

Set reachable goals. So you're not eating within your calories - YET. Make smaller changes to start with - don't go to the bagel shop EVERY day for a week. Only go on Monday and Thursday, for example.

Go shopping and stock up on healthy stuff- fruits, veggies, etc. If you're like me and hate to cook, lean cuisine dinners (though high in sodium) are YUMMY. And EASY.

Am I completely "reformed," do I always eat healthy and think of my body first before deciding what to eat and whether or not to exercise on a given day? Nope. I love food. It tastes good and should be a pleasurable experience, and I am flat out ADDICTED to chocolate with no plans to change that in any way, shape or form. But I'm getting better OVER TIME about portion sizes and frequency of treats, and that's what's making a big difference for me.

It takes practice. And failing on occasion, and trying again. And again. AND AGAIN. Because you're so freaking worth it!
  • mamaboobear
    mamaboobear Posts: 52
    Options
    wow, omg, I am floored by all the quick responses! Thank you for all the suggestions, and support! I have no problem with constructive critism regarding my diary, I love any help I can get, thats why I keep it on public. Looking at my diary, I can see that I can cut just over 200 cals a day if I just drop one of my coffees in the morning, I know portion control is a huge issue for me as well. I just quit smoking in January and since then, its seems like I've replaced cigarettes with food!!!

I'm going to take all the advice and all the other ideas I have seen on other's threads (like smaller plates etc.) and try to really buckle down. Hopefully a week from now I will be able to post in here and say I did it, I made even with my calorie goal.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Do you eat till you're full? If so, eat half of that amount and you will still feel full and it will last just as long. Drink a glass of water along with meals and it will also help.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I have been there and it only gets worse if you don't have it cause you will overindulge in everything you eat until you get what satisfies you. Just continue to try to eat less and less of it. The more sugary, salty, fatty things you eat, the more you want of them. I find, if I eat a very healthy breakfast, it starts my day off better without the cravins of the bad stuff. It is kinda the same as quiting smoking the cravings will come less and less.
  • mamaboobear
    Options
    wow in the time it took me to reply you all had wrote more!! i didn't realize how much processed stuff I had eaten either! funny how I am the punching these foods in and looking at my log EVERY DAY and yet I don't realize half these things are killing me until someone else points it out!

Just wanted to add, everyone seems to be reading that my one coffee is 500 cals, that is for two double doubles, I will definetly try to cut one out, and hopefully get that once switched from cream to milk at least!
  • mamaboobear
    Options
    wow in the time it took me to reply you all had wrote more!! i didn't realize how much processed stuff I had eaten either! funny how I am the punching these foods in and looking at my log EVERY DAY and yet I don't realize half these things are killing me until someone else points it out!

Just wanted to add, everyone seems to be reading that my one coffee is 500 cals, that is for two double doubles, I will definetly try to cut one out, and hopefully get that once switched from cream to milk at least!
  • StephanieJ82
    StephanieJ82 Posts: 233
    Options
    I looked at your diar and You should really skip the Timmys... i know it's tough. lol. I got one of those Tassimo coffee makers that makes one cup. LOVE it. and i jjust put half and half and its never over 100 cals.

Second, you should replace a lot of whay you eat with a 'healthy' version. Like the italian sausages.... i started buying Tailgate brand turkey italian sausage.... cut back on canned foods like the soups that are LOADED with soduin and make it your self.

And finally, plan your meals ahead of time and enter it all at the start of the day.... Then when you see you are going over you can adjust ect.

Good luck, you can do it!