Wrong data !

2»

Replies

• kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    The thing is I don't have a clue about the Calorific value of food or its nutritional value so I don't know which entry is correct - and I don't have time to sift through - I just wanted a quick reliable app that worked and would stop me eating junk food. Simples !

If you think this app is magically going to make you lose weight or stop eating junk food, you might as well delete it now. You have to make a little bit of an effort and attempt to learn about healthy eating and "the calorific value of food" if you want to lose weight and keep it off. If you're not interested, quit while you're ahead and go eat a donut.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    kikichewie wrote: »
    The thing is I don't have a clue about the Calorific value of food or its nutritional value so I don't know which entry is correct - and I don't have time to sift through - I just wanted a quick reliable app that worked and would stop me eating junk food. Simples !

If you think this app is magically going to make you lose weight or stop eating junk food, you might as well delete it now. You have to make a little bit of an effort and attempt to learn about healthy eating and "the calorific value of food" if you want to lose weight and keep it off. If you're not interested, quit while you're ahead and go eat a donut.

I eat donuts all the time and maintain in a +/- 3 pound range.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Oh well, I thought the data was supplied by MFP not the general public. I haven't used this app much & really can't see the point as its not an accurate representation of nutrients or fats or protein or calcium. So what is the point ? ?

The point is using it as a tool to track your intake. It's pretty easy to do a little fact checking. After a few months, most of the foods/drinks you consume the most will be on your list. It's only as difficult as you make it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

No app yet created can keep food out of your mouth.

If you use it, this app works. I have lost 15 pounds in two months.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    My first clue that I needed to do my own homework was scanning a barcode and getting wrong information, then typing in a search term and getting 10 different results, and that's just concerning calories, nevermind nutrients. It's not hard to go onto restaurant and manufacturer websites to find out what's right, or to say "screw it" and make your own. Since I did sign up to use a free app that's helped me to lose 20 lbs so far, it's not such a bad deal.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Sounds like another one wanting to blame her/his choices on someone else. It's a free app, you're not being "conned" and the only one responsible for you eating junk food is yourself. You are also the one responsible for logging your intake properly and correctly. If you don't have the time, willingness, desire, to educate yourself on the nutritional information concerning the food you're putting into your mouth, then maybe you're not ready to get it under control just yet. When you're ready, MFP will still be here, will most likely still be free, and you'll still have to wade through the entries to find the one that most closely matches what you're eating. But when you're ready, you'll do it, you'll do it willingly, and you'll do it without whining or complaining.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I have just entered a large latte and under Nutritional data it says I have consumed 0% calcium ! ! Which is blatantly wrong - is this a waste of my time & are we being conned ? ?

Are you here to know about your consumption of micronutrients? I doubt it. Most people are here for calorie and macro counting, and make an effort (because it's in their best interest) to make sure the entries they use are correct. You can edit incorrect entries and enter things yourself.
  • Oohhlalalala
    Oohhlalalala Posts: 6 Member
    Okay - thanks for the positive feeling about this app. I will give it a go & keep what Virkati said in mind.
    Virkati wrote: »
    Sounds like another one wanting to blame her/his choices on someone else. It's a free app, you're not being "conned" and the only one responsible for you eating junk food is yourself. You are also the one responsible for logging your intake properly and correctly. If you don't have the time, willingness, desire, to educate yourself on the nutritional information concerning the food you're putting into your mouth, then maybe you're not ready to get it under control just yet.
  • Oohhlalalala
    Oohhlalalala Posts: 6 Member
    I made a choice & downloaded the MyNetDiary app which has the nutritional data set in gold - this app is a delusion & it takes 2 much time 2 check you have the correct analysis of food AND it doesn't highlight the fact that the general public are setting the data & saying that eggs = 0% cholesterol & milk = 0% calcium ! ! I value my time.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I made a choice & downloaded the MyNetDiary app which has the nutritional data set in gold - this app is a delusion & it takes 2 much time 2 check you have the correct analysis of food AND it doesn't highlight the fact that the general public are setting the data & saying that eggs = 0% cholesterol & milk = 0% calcium ! ! I value my time.

then buh-bye
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »

then buh-bye

Does this count as a rage quit?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

According to their website, they also have user-contributed items in their database.

"For example, after entering "heinz ketchup" foods you will see food names with "(contributed)" suffix. Please, notice, that contributed foods do not go through the rigorous verification process applied to system foods in the food catalog."

The main difference between the two is that MyNetDiary seems to have fewer entries overall. But good luck.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Oh well, I thought the data was supplied by MFP not the general public. I haven't used this app much & really can't see the point as its not an accurate representation of nutrients or fats or protein or calcium. So what is the point ? ?

So enter your own or stop using the app.

It's not rocket science.

UGH, HOW RUDE! They are SO gone! They don't have time for this delusional app!