Tablespoon vs. Tablespoon

Options

Replies

• Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    And of course, to add to the confusion, entries in the database could be in metric tablespoons (20ml) or American tablespoons (15ml) ... use your scale where you can!

(Don't get me started on the varying volumes of cups across the world)

There's a metric tablespoon?! I'm not American, but I always took a tablespoon to be 15ml

Why can't we all just have the one measurement for the same things?

Madness!

And why can't you just have pints and half pints in the pub instead of confusing things with stuff like schooners? What on earth is a schooner anyway? (Apart from a ship) It doesn't even mean the same thing in each state!

Australians! I'll never understand ya. (And my husband has just purchased Housos v Pizza or whatever it's called, so I'll be spending the evening being embarrassed at my dual citizenship)

Soz. Bit off topic there :wink:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    UK Tablespoon is 15ml

where do you Aussies get this stuff from?

and .. OMG recipes
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    UK Tablespoon is 15ml

where do you Aussies get this stuff from?

and .. OMG recipes

I have no idea! I've always done 1Tablespoon = 15ml

Have I been doing it right or wrong all these years? :open_mouth::tongue:

• mustnothrowcantelopes
    mustnothrowcantelopes Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have it set up to be notified by e-mail when someone replied to a discussion or a question I post on the message board but for some stupid reason it refuses to send me notifications still so I only saw this just now.

Yes , obviously using a scale is better but I don't have one and scales can be expensive and the last two I had randomly stopped working , even with fresh batteries and then disappeared from site. I live with parents, so that could be the culprit. Anyway, to clarify, it says "TBS 5ml" on one and "TBS 15 ml" on the other and they're both different sizes so how am I to be sure which is correct? They are in fact rounded. The point is, how are you to measure things like butter if you don't have and can't currently purchase a scale?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    A t. is a teaspoon and is 5 ml. A T. is a tablespoon and is 15 ml. Full stop.

When possible though, use a food scale.

I'm just going to quote this again since you seemed to have ignored everyone. Scales cost buttons. Just buy one.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter what the spoons say (If they both say TBS) as long as it shows the ml. As I said right at the start, and was quoted above, a teaspoon (alternatively written as t. or tsp rarely) is 5 ml and a tablespoon (alternatively written as T. or Tbsp) is 15 ml. If you can't afford a food scale right now, then use the spoons with the ml measurements.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm Australian. I have two tablespoons, 15ml and 20ml. 20ml is the standard here but some imported kitchen products are 15ml tablespoons.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    A t. is a teaspoon and is 5 ml. A T. is a tablespoon and is 15 ml. Full stop.

When possible though, use a food scale.

*nods*

Another thumbs up!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I'm Australian. I have two tablespoons, 15ml and 20ml. 20ml is the standard here but some imported kitchen products are 15ml tablespoons.

@kyrannosaurus I'm an Aussie too, and I've always gone with 15ml = 1Tbs. Don't know why lol it's just the measurement I've used forever
    5ml= 1tsp
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Does anybody actually weigh their seasonings? These are the only dry things you would want to use measuring spoons for (at least I do).

To throw things really off and add to the confusion:
    1 metric Tablespoon is 15 ml
    1 UK Tablespoon is 14.2 ml
    1 US Tablespoon is 14.8 ml
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Does anybody actually weigh their seasonings? These are the only dry things you would want to use measuring spoons for (at least I do).

To through things really off and add to the confusion:

Some people use them to weigh things like peanut butter etc that are high calorie and worth weighing :)
  • earlnabby
    Options

Some people use them to weigh things like peanut butter etc that are high calorie and worth weighing :)

But peanut butter is neither dry nor a seasoning.

• blankiefinder
    Options

Yes, I agree. If it was dry mustard or something I wouldn't weigh.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Yes, I agree. If it was dry mustard or something I wouldn't weigh.

That was my question. I don't weigh seasonings. I do measure liquid seasonings (like extracts) and condiments and weigh semi-solid condiments like ketchup.

• Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am the lord of all Spoons and you should use a scale, they work better
    Damn those lazy t-spoons
  • bonneboo
    bonneboo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I understand you OP on not being able to buy a scale now. I can't either, even if its only $10, I can't "just buy one". My spoons are doing just fine - you should see my tablespoon of peanut butter - looks like a mountain
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    bonneboo wrote: »
    I understand you OP on not being able to buy a scale now. I can't either, even if its only $10, I can't "just buy one". My spoons are doing just fine - you should see my tablespoon of peanut butter - looks like a mountain

Why would your tablespoon of peanut butter look like a mountain? I don't understand.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    The ml does stand for milliliters, which is used for liquids, not dry foods, which are usually measured in grams.

However, in the database, volume measurements are (usually, or often) given in "tablespoons" or "teaspoons", so it doesn't matter that your spoons say ml and not grams.

If you type in "white refined flour - 1 tablespoon" using your ml-labelled spoon, it will be the right amount. (If you don't overfill the spoon.)

I've seen UK recipes where dry ingredients are given in grams. Most of the recipes I use call for ml or tsp/tbsps or cups.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    bonneboo wrote: »

Why would your tablespoon of peanut butter look like a mountain? I don't understand.

I think she's probably packing on 2 or 3 servings on to the spoon??