starvation mode

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I think people that mention 'starvation mode' are regularly referring to metabolic damage... Just sayin

People who know what they are talking about, sure. Most people on this site are of the "oh no, I ate under 1200 cals, I'm going into starvation mode and gaining weight" variety, though.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    1shauna1 wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I'm not trying to vent, but I'm getting so tired of this "starvation mode" myth. I wish people would remember those commercials with the starving kids in Africa. Do they look fat? People chiming in on things they don't know to be true really irritates me.
    Those commercials that claim a cup of coffee costs 35 cents a day? What kind of crap drinking peasant do they think I am? I'm not drinking any coffee that's less than $4 a cup!!!!!

HA! Yes, that would be one terrible cup of coffee!!

You 2 are aware that coffee can be made at home, are you not? You can make a great cup of coffee for $0.35. At home.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Starving mode, really. If you complaining you starving then eat please. No one is forcing you to diet. If you are not losing weight and complaining then find something better because there are plenty of diets out there.
    As for starving kids in Africa, there are obese children too. Oh btw my kids are half African and they are not starving.
    Please, not everything you see on the television you should believe. I am living in AFRICA!! In Nigeria to be precise. Yes there are people living in poverty, yes some live in huts but it is only in the villages. Not everyone lives in a hut here and not every child is starving. People in the villages are enjoying themselves better than us that live in the city. Food is fresher and organic there and it is also very cheap. Below is the different type of houses. Poorer ones included.

f1dt1vbm711z.jpgeqis7clmj708.jpg
    yvgo67pfb87w.jpgkvacvbinitte.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    Starving mode, really. If you complaining you starving then eat please. No one is forcing you to diet. If you are not losing weight and complaining then find something better because there are plenty of diets out there.
    As for starving kids in Africa, there are obese children too. Oh btw my kids are half African and they are not starving.
    Please, not everything you see on the television you should believe. I am living in AFRICA!! In Nigeria to be precise. Yes there are people living in poverty, yes some live in huts but it is only in the villages. Not everyone lives in a hut here and not every child is starving. People in the villages are enjoying themselves better than us that live in the city. Food is fresher and organic there and it is also very cheap. Below is the different type of houses. Poorer ones included.

Nobody, but nobody, claimed that every child in Africa is starving.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options

this is very informative.......but don't really think it's what she meant....
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I once thought I could accellerate weight loss by reducing calories further. After gaining weight progressively for 3 weeks, I read something that indicated if one consumes fewer calories than their RMR, they could gain weight. A quick calculation showed my new calorie level was below estimated RMR. So I returned to a higher calorie level (which was above RMR and below BMR) and began to lose again.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of hate for sharing my experience, and some will call me a liar. I don't know the scientific reason behind why I started gaining when restricting calories further, but I will not do that again (at least not for more than a day or 2). It set me back and lost time.

How much weight did you gain over those 3 weeks?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Nigeria LOL The motherland. They have Prince there too.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    I'm not trying to vent, but I'm getting so tired of this "starvation mode" myth. I wish people would remember those commercials with the starving kids in Africa. Do they look fat? People chiming in on things they don't know to be true really irritates me.
    Those commercials that claim a cup of coffee costs 35 cents a day? What kind of crap drinking peasant do they think I am? I'm not drinking any coffee that's less than $4 a cup!!!!!

You 2 are aware that coffee can be made at home, are you not? You can make a great cup of coffee for $0.35. At home.

Not likely. Even if I spent tons of money on all that fancy equipment and even if I was actually home often enough to use such equipment, I am hopeless when it comes to making anything great. I can make something that is edible, but not "great." Anyway, since I'm just 1 person and usually am drinking coffee on the road (so maybe 1-2 times per year would I use it), the equipment cost would take quite a while to pay for itself. Anyway, when I drink coffee, it is for caffeine and not for taste; so I suppose my point is irrelevant anyway. I'll spend $1-$2 for truck stop coffee.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Those commercials thbuat claim a cup of coffee costs 35 cents a day? What kind of crap drinking peasant do they think I am? I'm not drinking any coffee that's less than $4 a cup!!!!!

Not likely. Even if I spent tons of money on all that fancy equipment and even if I was actually home often enough to use such equipment, I am hopeless when it comes to making anything great. I can make something that is edible, but not "great." Anyway, since I'm just 1 person and usually am drinking coffee on the road (so maybe 1-2 times per year would I use it), the equipment cost would take quite a while to pay for itself. Anyway, when I drink coffee, it is for caffeine and not for taste; so I suppose my point is irrelevant anyway. I'll spend $1-$2 for truck stop coffee.

I make a great cup of coffee with the aeropress. Easy peasy, and about 25 bucks.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I once thought I could accellerate weight loss by reducing calories further. After gaining weight progressively for 3 weeks, I read something that indicated if one consumes fewer calories than their RMR, they could gain weight. A quick calculation showed my new calorie level was below estimated RMR. So I returned to a higher calorie level (which was above RMR and below BMR) and began to lose again.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of hate for sharing my experience, and some will call me a liar. I don't know the scientific reason behind why I started gaining when restricting calories further, but I will not do that again (at least not for more than a day or 2). It set me back and lost time.

How much weight did you gain over those 3 weeks?

6 lbs.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

if you really gained you were eating more than you thought.

you can eat lower than your RMR and lose weight and it not be unhealthy as long as it's not done for a prolonged period of time...and 3 weeks is not long enough.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Those commercials thbuat claim a cup of coffee costs 35 cents a day? What kind of crap drinking peasant do they think I am? I'm not drinking any coffee that's less than $4 a cup!!!!!

I make a great cup of coffee with the aeropress. Easy peasy, and about 25 bucks.

I think you missed my point... I'm coffee-making challenged.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Nobody, but nobody, claimed that every child in Africa is starving.

Exactly! Who said everyone in Africa lives in poverty?
  • Alligator423
    Alligator423 Posts: 87 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    x
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    No it was not the girl that started it that I was referring to, in fact I understand what she is trying to say. Rocknlotsofrolls, I commend you. Too many people complain about gaining weight when they are eating less, take it from me who had an eating disorder when I was younger, it is impossible. Those people are the very ones cheating themselves, telling everyone they are on a diet and behind everyone's backs they are raiding the fridge and the cupboard. If anyone is serious about missing weight they should do it healthily and be disciplined in the way they follow the guidelines. The reason I put that info there about African is because I am sick and tired of the TV stations putting Africa as the place children starve. Did you know in Ireland, where I a from originally there are starving children and no one knows but them. Same every country of the world. We should stop complaining about not losing weight and instead do something about it. That is what we are here for right!!!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

you can eat lower than your RMR and lose weight and it not be unhealthy as long as it's not done for a prolonged period of time...and 3 weeks is not long enough.

That is an easy explanation, but doesn't hold water. I didn't change methods of measuring and logging food. I used a food scale before, during, and after the weight gain period surrounded by periods of weight loss.

If I had, at the same time I dropped my calorie limit, stopped weighing food and started "eye-balling" everything... then returned to weighing when I resumed a higher calorie intake, then I could see your point.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

That is an easy explanation, but doesn't hold water. I didn't change methods of measuring and logging food. I used a food scale before, during, and after the weight loss.

If I had, at the same time I dropped my calorie limit, stopped weighing food and started "eye-balling" everything... then returned to weighing when I resumed a higher calorie intake, then I could see your point.
    No, generating energy from nothing is what doesn't hold water.

• girlviernes
    Options

I think you missed my point... I'm coffee-making challenged.

I think it's a mental block! All you do is put two scoops of grinds, pour in hot water, then push through the water.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...
    Sub-Saharan Africa is the region with the highest prevalence (percentage of population) of hunger. One person in four there is undernourished. Poor nutrition causes nearly half (45%) of deaths in children under five - 3.1 million children each year.

I'd say 45% of children's deaths being caused by poor nutrition is a pretty large number worth recognizing.