Bicycle Fans - official thread for people who love riding th

Options

Replies

• Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Went out and did about 12 miles on Saturday, that's the most in one go I've done for ages and the first time I've done so long on new bike (usual routes are to / from work, between 2-5 miles).. Very windy though, makes it really hard work...

Only thing I noticed is that even with padded cycling leggings, um, there was some pain from places there shouldn't be - ouchies! :embarassed:

Can anyone recommend any really decent lady-specific cycling leggings? I'm not a shorts person so prefer either 3/4 length or full length leggings/pants....

Thanks all :smile:
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I bought a new air pump and pumped my tires up to 100psi this morning from their more normal 85 that my old pump would get them up to. It made quite a difference. I was flying along with much less effort. I also haven't ridden since thursday :sad: because of duties at a wedding and the subsequent hangover, so my legs were really strong. It is supposed to pour rain on my on my ride home, but it was worth it. I'm not going 4 days without riding.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My tyres are pumped up to 110psi before every ride!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I am going through some saddle withdrawl too. Too many things going on this weekend. Tonight I have to run because I have a 10K in three weeks. I think my next ride will be my commute Wed/Thursday. This time I'm leaving my car at work, and riding to my parents house overnight. Then riding back Thursday. I guess you could consider it a Bussman's Adventure.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Riding home in the rain wasn't too bad after my hands froze solid to the handlebars. It would have been better if I didn't have a flat tire from the ride in this morning, but at least I didn't have to change it on the side of the road.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I should be buying a new tire for my bike so I can start riding again soon. It's getting way too nice outside to not do it!! Excited.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I got rained on in my morning commute today.

Who would have thought, it's not supposed to rain this late in the year in San Diego.

It actually kept me cool, but the wet roads and traffic make me nervous.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Road bike or hybrid? I'm so torn on what to choose. I want to be able to ride around for fitness, but there are some nice gravel paths that could be a lot of fun to ride on. I'm still reading about it, but for the moment I have discovered spin class at the gym. It's the first group exercise class that I have really enjoyed and not felt embarrassed trying to keep up in.

Now I need to get some bike shorts or leggings. I'm afraid some will be too tight on my fat thighs if they fit my waist and hips. Any recommendations? Thanks!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    They honestly stretch quite a bit, so I imagine you'll be able to make them fit. If you are concerned about all the curves showing they make mountain bike shorts that have the lycra compression shorts inside, but on the outside they look like hiking shorts.

The bottom line however is that everyone looks stupid in bike shorts (if you don't believe me evaluate a fit person next time your at the gym). Its okay, to look a little odd while doing something healthy.
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Now I need to get some bike shorts or leggings. I'm afraid some will be too tight on my fat thighs if they fit my waist and hips. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I've been using Endura and DHB Earney undershorts under Addidas tracksuit bottoms.

There is a lot of stretch in the legs on them, Cris Hoy's thighs are claimed to be 27", mine are 20" and have an awful lot more fat on them than his.

If in doubt about fitting, ask a bike shop for help.

Not been on the bike in 2 weeks and a few days due to a cold and it's still lingering, but I've been able to do walks after work this week so if the weather holds I'll be out hopefully tomorrow.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    OK, I'm having a mechanical issue with my rear tire. Something on the rim is poking a hole in the tube, but I can't figure out what. There are no lingering stickers or other objects in the tire. There is nothing showing in the rim. (The hole is where the tube meets the rim, not the tire.) I've even had a bike shop look at it and they can't find anything. This will be the 4th tube this spring and I haven't ridden that much. Any ideas?

To answer the clothing question I use Mt Borah. I've had the same 2 pairs of shorts for years.

http://mtborah.com/custom-apparel/cycling/
  • Somnifac
    Somnifac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Any ideas?

Have you tried replacing the rim strip on that wheel?
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    Any ideas?

Have you tried replacing the rim strip on that wheel?

That's the first thing I did. Could it be out of place? It doesn't look out of place.
  • Somnifac
    Somnifac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If it sits in the middle of the wheel and covers the back side of the spoke nipples, it's unlikely.

What kind of valves are on the tubes? Schrader or Presta? If they're Presta valves, are you using the little threaded nut that screws down over the valve stem, sort of holding the valve in place? If so, I find they cause more issues than it's worth and they sometimes can cause the tube to rub against the hole in the wheel and puncture there.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm having a mechanical issue with my rear tire. Something on the rim is poking a hole in the tube, but I can't figure out what. There are no lingering stickers or other objects in the tire. There is nothing showing in the rim. (The hole is where the tube meets the rim, not the tire.) I've even had a bike shop look at it and they can't find anything. This will be the 4th tube this spring and I haven't ridden that much. Any ideas?

Where do you park the bike?

I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a neighbour who does not want me to park my bike on my property......? They were sticking an ice pick into the side of my tire, I was stunned that they would do this, but they do not like cyclists and when I started to ride my bike all the time, they took offense..... go figure.

The other thing that can happen is there is something stuck in your tire, something that is imbedded, that is only poking holes when the tire is under pressure. If you get another flat, mark the rim with a felt tip marker and the tire, then take off the tire, mark the tube, then find the hole and see where it lines up on the tire, then bend the tire around and check to see if there is something in the tire. I had a small sharp piece of wire stuck in one tire, dunno where it came from but it was stuck in the tire, I could not see it when it was not pumped up.

You could swap tires and tubes front to back, then if you still get a flat on the rear, it is not the tire or tube, but the rim, if you get a flat on the front, then it is NOT the rear rim etc.

I hope this helps!
  • NiallWallace
    Options
    Any ideas?

The hole in the tube should tie up directly with where the problem is.

What does the hole look like though? is it a single hole or a "snakebite" Pinch Flat.
    A pinch flat is caused by too low pressure or more accurately too much impact for the pressure used.

If it's not a pinch flat there could be a burr on the rim or a spoke issue.
    Did the bike shop check the spoke tension?
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Where do you park the bike?

I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a neighbour who does not want me to park my bike on my property......? They were sticking an ice pick into the side of my tire, I was stunned that they would do this, but they do not like cyclists and when I started to ride my bike all the time, they took offense..... go figure.

The other thing that can happen is there is something stuck in your tire, something that is imbedded, that is only poking holes when the tire is under pressure. If you get another flat, mark the rim with a felt tip marker and the tire, then take off the tire, mark the tube, then find the hole and see where it lines up on the tire, then bend the tire around and check to see if there is something in the tire. I had a small sharp piece of wire stuck in one tire, dunno where it came from but it was stuck in the tire, I could not see it when it was not pumped up.

You could swap tires and tubes front to back, then if you still get a flat on the rear, it is not the tire or tube, but the rim, if you get a flat on the front, then it is NOT the rear rim etc.

I hope this helps!

This sounds like the best advice if you don't want to replace the whole thing. Things can often hide in the tire until under your body weight.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Road bike or hybrid? I'm so torn on what to choose. I want to be able to ride around for fitness, but there are some nice gravel paths that could be a lot of fun to ride on. I'm still reading about it, but for the moment I have discovered spin class at the gym. It's the first group exercise class that I have really enjoyed and not felt embarrassed trying to keep up in.

How rough is the gravel path? A plush bike (road bike for rougher surfaces) is lite and durable. A hybrid can be to heavy on longer trips. Try both out and go with what feels more comfortable on your back and legs.
  • TeteDeLaCourse
    Options
    I ride when the weather warms up. I'm a total wimp when it comes to riding in the winter. I'm doing a lot of running right now training for a race, but when that's over...the bike is coming out! I have a full on road bike...Specialized Roubaix. When I go out for rides, it's usually no less than 20 miles. I've done a few metric centuries, no 100 milers yet...I will someday, it's on my bucket list.

:::drooling::: The Specialized Roubaix is my dream bike! I promised myself one when I lose 100 lbs. I have a Specialized hybrid now but I really want a road bike.
  • NiallWallace
    Options
    "Nightmare" first commute post cold

21kmh to work
    25kmh home (but that includes a huge downhill)

20mph winds, horseshoe shaped route.

Wheel sucker on the way to work along a nice flat straight with the headwind, and then some guy on a "sit up and beg" twiddled past me on the way home. (exaggeration, he was on a mudguard shorn road bike, but he really wasn't putting any effort into going a couple of kmh faster than me)

But on comparison with previous logged routes, it's about the same, so must just be feeling bad.