Blood Ketone Level Question

Options
Psysix
Psysix Posts: 53 Member
My blood monitor says my ketone level is 2.3. Two days ago it was 0.9. Is that okay? Should I up my carbs? I'm having about 35-40 carbs a day. Thanks.

Replies

• brgrayson
    brgrayson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? I am new to this, but that's the only reason I know of for watching for ketones.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Psysix wrote: »
    My blood monitor says my ketone level is 2.3. Two days ago it was 0.9. Is that okay? Should I up my carbs? I'm having about 35-40 carbs a day. Thanks.

I am assuming you are diabetic? With levels this high, you should be calling your dr. If I remember correctly, something in the range 2-3 or higher is a reason to get to the hospital, but I an guessing you have guidelines from your dr?
  • wabmester
    Options
    Oy. She's not diabetic. She's burning fat for fuel. When you restrict carb intake, your body makes ketones from fat as an alternative fuel.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Oy. She's not diabetic. She's burning fat for fuel. When you restrict carb intake, your body makes ketones from fat as an alternative fuel.

Why would someone not diabetic care about blood tests for ketones??? Not even urine tests but blood tests?
  • wabmester
    Options
    It's a slightly crazy idea, IMHO. If they stay in ketosis long enough (> 3 weeks), the body will adapt to the new fuel source by increasing mitochondrial density and FA metabolizing enzymes.

People do this to lose weight, but it's not really necessary. It does have some interesting benefits for the brain, aging, and athletic endurance.
  • Psysix
    Options
    No, I'm not diabetic. I am doing a low carb type of diet. I find I think more clearly in ketosis and keep a better regulated sleep schedule. The weight loss is fairly quick as well.
  • Psysix
    Options
  • russellj7051
    russellj7051 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Simple as this carbs make insulin and insulin brakes down sugar in your blood, with low carbs your body gets low on insulin and your body has no way to brake down the sugar causing your blood sugar to rise (causing you to go into a temporary diabetic state) so your body makes ketones from fat and gets rid of the sugar via breathing and urine. Eat a few more carbs and your blood sugar should go down
  • russellj7051
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Be careful with low carb diets
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    wow. I'm in vet med, and find that an animal in ketosis is doing everything BESIDES thinking clearly! They are grumpy to downright nasty and aggressive. They smell too. And chronic ketosis, according to what I learned in class can damage the brain and kidneys. The brain can't process ketones, only glucose. Maybe science has changed though and i'm behind the times. My husband does ketogenic diet once a year for about a month. To be honest- his breath stinks like rotten meat no matter how frequent tooth brushing, and he's a horrid person to be around most times. Why someone would do this to themselves.. beyond me. Having said all that... If it works for you and you're not a bit worried about it.. good on ya!
  • Psysix
    Options
    Simple as this carbs make insulin and insulin brakes down sugar in your blood, with low carbs your body gets low on insulin and your body has no way to brake down the sugar causing your blood sugar to rise (causing you to go into a temporary diabetic state) so your body makes ketones from fat and gets rid of the sugar via breathing and urine. Eat a few more carbs and your blood sugar should go down

My blood sugar is not high, my ketone blood test was what I was talking about. I tested my blood sugar, it's fine. Thanks.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    wow. I'm in vet med, and find that an animal in ketosis is doing everything BESIDES thinking clearly! They are grumpy to downright nasty and aggressive. They smell too. And chronic ketosis, according to what I learned in class can damage the brain and kidneys. The brain can't process ketones, only glucose. Maybe science has changed though and i'm behind the times. My husband does ketogenic diet once a year for about a month. To be honest- his breath stinks like rotten meat no matter how frequent tooth brushing, and he's a horrid person to be around most times. Why someone would do this to themselves.. beyond me. Having said all that... If it works for you and you're not a bit worried about it.. good on ya!

You should ask for your money back. If your husband is that unpleasant while he's on keto, he's probably doing lazy keto instead of paying attention to what he should be having. Ketosis has been medically prescribed for over a century, and is used long term to treat multiple medical conditions. People using it for medical conditions don't have magic fairy dust that makes keto work differently for them than it does for someone without a medical condition, so suggesting it's dangerous long term is fear mongering.

As for the OP, there is no reason to monitor your ketones unless you are diabetic. It's something people get conned into doing to spend money they don't need to spend on testing equipment. You aren't going to hurt yourself by having "too many." Over time, your body will adjust how much it produces, and instead of having a measurable excess, you'll only have as much as you need. All that matters is that you're at a deficit and losing.
  • russellj7051
    Options

My blood sugar is not high, my ketone blood test was what I was talking about. I tested my blood sugar, it's fine. Thanks.

Correct but blood sugar and ketones and directly related your ketone levels are so high because you have to get ride of the extra glucose in your blood that's why your ketone level is high and your blood glucose level is normal.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Correct but blood sugar and ketones and directly related your ketone levels are so high because you have to get ride of the extra glucose in your blood that's why your ketone level is high and your blood glucose level is normal.

Her ketone levels are high because she's on a keto diet that's designed to use ketones for fuel instead of carbs. She's not doing anything wrong, why are you trying to scare her?
  • russellj7051
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm not trying to scare her I was explaining how it works and if how it works scares her than maybe it's not the best diet choice.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Oy this is so incorrect. Blood sugar spike leads to release of pancreatic insulin. Once you stop eating carbs, insulin levels drop and your body first depletes liver glycogen to maintain blood glucose levels. After that, your liver uses certain amino acids to maintain blood glucose via gluconeogenesis. Once the substrates for gluconeogenesis have been depleted you start metabolizing body fat into ketones (acetone, acetoacetate, and beta-hydroxybutyrate) as they are the only other fuel source the brain can utilize directly besides glucose.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

That's ketoacidosis where the ketone levels are much higher than ketosis
  • Psysix
    Options
    mjudd1990 wrote: »

Oy this is so incorrect. Blood sugar spike leads to release of pancreatic insulin. Once you stop eating carbs, insulin levels drop and your body first depletes liver glycogen to maintain blood glucose levels. After that, your liver uses certain amino acids to maintain blood glucose via gluconeogenesis. Once the substrates for gluconeogenesis have been depleted you start metabolizing body fat into ketones (acetone, acetoacetate, and beta-hydroxybutyrate) as they are the only other fuel source the brain can utilize directly besides glucose.

Thanks for the information
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Why would someone not diabetic care about blood tests for ketones??? Not even urine tests but blood tests?

a) More reliable indicator of ketosis than urine test
    b) Measures the predominant ketone B-OHB rather than Acetoacetate in urine