Weight loss on quetiapine & mirtazipine

Options
hello has anyone actually lost weight on quetiapine and mirtazipine? So iv been on quetiapine since early 2014 and started on mirtazipine in January after having a stay in hospital iv put nearly 5 stone on since January 2015 my diet hasn't changed and my exercise routine is the same I don't over eat I aim for around 1200 calories daily and everything I eat is fresh I drink lots of water so eat pretty clean. Iv been told that my medication is notorious for weight gain and it's difficult to maintain or loose weight!!
So if anyone has any tips and advice i would be very greatful :)

Replies

• jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck in a similar situation. Taking methimazole for grave's disease and suddenly gaining on 1200! We test and reassess next month, my endo isn't super worried as long as we get my levels down. But man oh man, I feel great but this gain is a real bummer.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Count calories. Exercise more. Don't put your life in danger with magic pills.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

If you are under the assumption that quetiapine & mirtazipine are magic weight loss pills, you would be wrong.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

If you are under the assumption that quetiapine & mirtazipine are magic weight loss pills, you would be wrong.

Then what are they?
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    If they are legitimate, nobody would be overweight.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Then what are they?
    mirtazipine is an antidepressant
    quetiapine is an antipsychotic that is often prescribed as an adjunct to antidepressants to help sleep.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Then why is the topic of your thread concerning losing weight on these medications?
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    jke78 wrote: »
    I'm stuck in a similar situation. Taking methimazole for grave's disease and suddenly gaining on 1200! We test and reassess next month, my endo isn't super worried as long as we get my levels down. But man oh man, I feel great but this gain is a real bummer.

That wasn't one of the medications quoted in the OP's post.
  • earlnabby
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Now that we have the nonsense out of the way, I take quetiapine in addition to a different antidepressant and I have been able to lose over 100 lb. so far. I take it in the evenings so I can sleep and I do have problems with late night hunger. I have been making sure I have plenty of calories available for snacks to take with me when I go to bed to read.
  • jke78
    Options
    I needed a giggle, thanks.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Then why is the topic of your thread concerning losing weight on these medications?

Because quetiapine is well known as a medication that causes insatiable hunger, therefore making it difficult to lose weight.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

One of the indicated side effects of Mirtazapine is weight gain, so the OP was asking if anyone has been on it and managed to lose weight. This has *nothing* to do with diet pills.
  • jke78
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Now that we have the nonsense out of the way, I take quetiapine in addition to an antidepressant and I have been able to lose over 100 lb. so far. I take it in the evenings so I can sleep and I do have problems with late night hunger. I have been making sure I have plenty of calories available for snacks to take with me when I go to bed to read.

I have taken quen

Because quetiapine is well known as a medication that causes insatiable hunger, therefore making it difficult to lose weight.

Yup. I forgot to mention I've taken it before and yes put in some weight but that was due to increased appetite.
  • atypicalsmith
    edited April 2015
    Options

One of the indicated side effects of Mirtazapine is weight gain, so the OP was asking if anyone has been on it and managed to lose weight. This has *nothing* to do with diet pills.

Sorry; I'm not a pharmacist.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Do you know this great website called "Google"? Try it. You can search for all kinds of cool information before you open your mouth to insert your foot.

• atypicalsmith
    Options

Do you know this great website called "Google"? Try it. You can search for all kinds of cool information before you open your mouth to insert your foot.

Thanks so much for the helpful information!
  • earlnabby
    Options

Thanks so much for the helpful information!

Any time!

• JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Now that we have the nonsense out of the way, I take quetiapine in addition to a different antidepressant and I have been able to lose over 100 lb. so far. I take it in the evenings so I can sleep and I do have problems with late night hunger. I have been making sure I have plenty of calories available for snacks to take with me when I go to bed to read.

Yep. I'm on quetiapine and aropax for anxiety and have lost 40-oddlbs so far this year (too lazy to check actual number).
  • KimmyOrme
    KimmyOrme Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I do count my calories and exercise 5

There not magic pills they are for my mental health. I eat clean and exercise 4-5 times a week like I said I eat 1200 calories a day I count every calorie I eat my medication is well known for weight gain
  • KimmyOrme
    KimmyOrme Posts: 9 Member
    Options

How did you do it? I ignore all the cravings and I don't over eat but still gaining weight I'm trying everything to get back down to my healthy weight