Fish - Any hope in making it less....fishy?

Options
BigLifter10
BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
Never been a fan of any type of fish (unless it is deep-fried and you don't really know what it is you are eating). I force myself to eat salmon once a week. I am open to any and all ideas on how to make fish more appealing. I currently make my salmon the same way: a drizzle of olive oil (only because someone suggested that), lime juice and dried lime no-sodium granulated lime. It's ok. I never look forward to it though. I would love to find some new things that are tried and true - especially from others who don't really care for fish.

If there is already a link for this, feel free to just post that and I'll check it out!
Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's not really going to have anything to do with the way it's cooked but rather the type of fish as well as freshness. If you don't live somewhere that has very fresh fish or you're not willing to fork out the cash to shop somewhere that has in flown in fresh daily, I would advise frozen.

Salmon is a pretty strong fish and has a taste all it's own (I personally love it) whereas white fish such as cod is very mild.
  • micheledemetroff
    micheledemetroff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    white fish (talapia, haddock, halibut, pickerel) tend to be less fishy. I usually douse in Sriracha sauce if you have that where you live...
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Agree, white fish will be less fishy tasting. All fish should be as fresh as possible and fishy-smell is one way to tell if it's fresh. It shouldn't smell fishy at all. Also the eyes of the fish should be clear, not cloudy or sunken at all.

If you don't have access to fresh fish, go with frozen and stick with a white fish, season the heck out of it if you you're not a big fan of the taste.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would also try the white fish like others have said. I add dill, a little butter, salt and pepper to mine with fresh lemon juice after it cooks. I also love old bay seasoning on any seafood.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just finished eating salmon for lunch-I coated it in olive oil (tbsp worth) and then liberally sprinkled Lawrys seasoning salt on it. After it was baked I dipped it in a bit of lemon juice. Tasted great :)
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Teryaki sauce can cut down. White fishes can be a bit better than salmon which sometimes has a really strong flavor, but above poster was right, freshness is what really counts.
  • juniebug2013
    juniebug2013 Posts: 31 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't really care for fish either, but I do love salmon patties. I use canned salmon, but you could probably use baked salmon with similar results. 1 can salmon, half a cup bread crumbs (I use crushed up seasoned croutons), an egg, and a little salt and pepper. It makes 5-6 patties. You can bake them or I like to cook them on the stove top with a little cooking spray in a nonstick pan. Even my kids who also do not like fish will eat them. They really don't taste fishy at all to me. They also make good sandwiches with a little tarter sauce. I'm guessing these may not be as good for you as fresh baked or grilled fish, but other than canned tuna it's the only way I'm getting fish in my diet so I don't worry about it too much.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Try cod less fishy than haddock.
  • BigLifter10
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Good to know about the freshness and type making a difference. I will be trying out these hints for seasonings as well. Never had sriracha (sp) at all, have heard about it though. Will look into that also. Thank you!
  • cflynn99
    cflynn99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mahi mahi is a really mild tasting fish. My favorite with some lemon and dill, or a little teriyaki citrus glaze.
  • LovelyIvy466
    Options
    I don't really care for fish either, but I do love salmon patties. I use canned salmon, but you could probably use baked salmon with similar results. 1 can salmon, half a cup bread crumbs (I use crushed up seasoned croutons), an egg, and a little salt and pepper. It makes 5-6 patties. You can bake them or I like to cook them on the stove top with a little cooking spray in a nonstick pan. Even my kids who also do not like fish will eat them. They really don't taste fishy at all to me. They also make good sandwiches with a little tarter sauce. I'm guessing these may not be as good for you as fresh baked or grilled fish, but other than canned tuna it's the only way I'm getting fish in my diet so I don't worry about it too much.

I've made this, and got RAVES on the result. Wasn't fishy.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Cod. I definitely find meal of 1 cup peas, 2 cups neeps and 5 fish fingers and 20ml ketchup very easy, filling and tasty!
  • Lindy901
    Lindy901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Agree with a white fish type, tilapia is another if not mentioned. Try different toppings on the fish. I like a lime and cilantro dressing on mine.
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I make a batch of mango/lime salsa in advance (stores for days in the fridge), and serve a 1/2 cup on my quickly pan-fried white fish (sole, cod, haddock) on the side. Love it!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mango-salsa/
  • BigLifter10
    Options
    I make a batch of mango/lime salsa in advance (stores for days in the fridge), and serve a 1/2 cup on my quickly pan-fried white fish (sole, cod, haddock) on the side. Love it!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mango-salsa/

Also sounds great!! Thanks for the link.
  • BigLifter10
    Options
    Lindy901 wrote: »
    Agree with a white fish type, tilapia is another if not mentioned. Try different toppings on the fish. I like a lime and cilantro dressing on mine.

Hmm, seems I did try some sort of tilapia once and it wasn't bad. Lime and cilantro is ALWAYS a good thing!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    To chip in, fish taco type seasonings can really change the flavour profile of fish. Something like a milder tasting fish (i.e. white) with lots of taco seasonings (cumin, chilli powder, paprika, fresh cilantro), topped with guacamole and sour cream or greek yogurt. Yum :yum:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This needs to be merged with the Dr. Poon thread.
  • LovelyIvy466
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    To chip in, fish taco type seasonings can really change the flavour profile of fish. Something like a milder tasting fish (i.e. white) with lots of taco seasonings (cumin, chilli powder, paprika, fresh cilantro), topped with guacamole and sour cream or greek yogurt. Yum :yum:
    That sounds delish! Like a baja fish taco without the breading. I might try this with breaded, oven-baked fish next week.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    That sounds delish! Like a baja fish taco without the breading. I might try this with breaded, oven-baked fish next week.

Oh I like the sound of that! I think I’ll defrost my salmon (I love all fish) and try this too now :smiley: