Anyone seen the benefits of raw apple cider with mother? How was your first day??

Options

Replies

• Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Op, for whatever it's worth my next door neighbor is 98, lives alone still. Has family that come by only 2 times a week to check on her, is in fabulous health. She drinks this stuff every morning. She seems to think it does wonders for her. She's a super sweet lady.

She hasn't been sick with anything in years according to her family. Her doctor visits are mainly wellness visits.

Now granted she isn't fast at most stuff, but, she's 98, and lives alone. and walks a lot.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've never used it for this purpose, but apparently there is some evidence that it helps some people with satiety and has some antiglycemic effects. Personally I find it actually increases my appetite.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1785201/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20068289
    Note these studies were just about 'vinegar', not necessarily apple cider vinegar.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    not gonna lie. im debating trying it. not for weight loss. but many of those who actually did try it had some sort of benefit. i haven't heard negative besides it didn't do anything. i take vitamins in an attempt to ward of sickness. i would try this for the same. if it doesnt do anything well tobad for me but what im down 5 bucks?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    not gonna lie. im debating trying it. not for weight loss. but many of those who actually did try it had some sort of benefit. i haven't heard negative besides it didn't do anything. i take vitamins in an attempt to ward of sickness. i would try this for the same. if it doesnt do anything well tobad for me but what im down 5 bucks?

That was my thinking when I started taking it, and here I am ten years later...
    Make sure you use a straw, though, for the sake of your teeth.
  • Thistooshallpass710
    Thistooshallpass710 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just joined and haven't learned how to navigate this site well. Somebody could have just posted a link of this question instead of all jokes which don't benefit me in any way.
    If you haven't tried it why reply that it doesn't work?
    Thanks for the tip of the search option...off to research I go
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    I can summarize all those other links for you:
    Some people have replied to say they've tried apple cider vinegar, and that they feel it had some health/other benefits for them.
    Other people have replied to say they've never tried it, and it's no good, and you shouldn't try it either.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    There are MANY claims made about apple cider vinegar. One does not need to try it to know that only a handful have even a snowball's chance in hell of being remotely true.

At the very best, it's likely to have some good digestive benefits and won't be harmful as long as you're careful to protect your teeth.

Saying that, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Everything is best read with a critical eye.

I have had some success treating topical skin problems with ACV.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Good book. As manager of a health food store for three years I had many customers with wonderful success stories for various uses. I am a believer. I love the stuff.

knhc40515n4u.jpg

I've got this book at home. I'm all into healthy eating and supplements and all that.
    But after reading this book, I deduce the author is a loon :flushed:

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I can summarize all those other links for you:
    Some people have replied to say they've tried apple cider vinegar, and that they feel it had some health/other benefits for them.
    Other people have replied to say they've never tried it, and it's no good, and you shouldn't try it either.

You forgot the links where doctors tell you how and why drinking something has no bearing on your body's acidity.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I did it for a whole month awhile back, because I heard and read good things about it. It is definitely not a weight loss wonder, unless it reduces your appetite and you don't eat as much. What it did do, however, is cured my acid reflux. I think you just have to see if it does anything for you.
  • CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it for weight loss before but it does help with clearing up acne and stuff like that. I also use mrs braggs organic. I dont know about taking it every single day.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would normally be the last person to buy into something like apple cider vinegar but have in all honesty noticed improvements to a few of my digestive issues since including it regularly in my diet. I have only ever used the same brand which is organic and has the mother in there but no idea whether or not that particular aspect is responsible.

It has also made my apple and walnuts salads taste quite lovely.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I really wish the woo practitioners would at least _try_ to give the appearance that their ideas are scientifically sound.

I did a search on PubMed Health for [apple cider vinegar weight loss] and came up with nothing.
    The only study mentioned was looking at the management of a skin disease in children.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/?term=apple+cider+vinegar+weight+loss

Did the same search on PubMed and came up with 2 studies, one of which talks about erosion of tooth enamel.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=apple+cider+vinegar+weight+loss
    The other study is poorly designed (pre-post intervention design without a control group, plus having way too
    many variables... it's full of woo)
    and only looked at 49 people.

On PubMed Central, the same search string brought up 41 results. Only 2 seem relevant.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=apple+cider+vinegar+weight+loss
    One is the woo study above.
    One says drinking a cup of honey-vinegar syrup every night for 4 weeks increased fasting insulin & insulin resistance,
    but decreased a type of LDL (which is the good cholesterol).
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Mother?

That's what I was wondering...what was that actually supposed to be?

Nope, that's actually it. It's the original yeast/bacteria that performed the fermenting of the vinegar. It looks kind of like someone hacked a loogie in the vinegar.
    Wow, you're really selling it.

I have apple cider vinegar to treat my toenail fungus. Mmmmm.

i make farmers cheese w/ it and tis gud 4 soaking sore feet, not n the cheese tho. 2 squishy :tongue:
  • Thistooshallpass710
    Thistooshallpass710 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If it helps I will take it for any significant health benefits
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ive never heard of this mother variety. sounds.......weird to be honest. i take vitamin c. i seem to get less colds. tastes good so hey!

I suspect you're about to receive a deluge of requests for irrefutable medical evidence that vitamin C prevents colds. "Do not respond" would be my advice. Anyway this thread is about apple cider vinegar.

Given how terribly you articulate the rationale for your positions, "do not respond" is probably the best thing you can do to promote your bizarre theories.

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    ive never heard of this mother variety. sounds.......weird to be honest. i take vitamin c. i seem to get less colds. tastes good so hey!

I suspect you're about to receive a deluge of requests for irrefutable medical evidence that vitamin C prevents colds. "Do not respond" would be my advice. Anyway this thread is about apple cider vinegar.

Given how terribly you articulate the rationale for your positions, "do not respond" is probably the best thing you can do to promote your bizarre theories.

Thanks. Believe the first person came across strong enough but glad u could get ur 2 cents in.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Thanks. Believe the first person came across strong enough but glad u could get ur 2 cents in.

Well, I am glad you could get in your two cents about my two cents.
This discussion has been closed.