over 40 crowd...do you still huff and puff after exercising?

Options

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I gets better, I am 46 and only huff and puff when I push myself harder than I usually workout and then that is only for a short time until it is time to push a little harder. I would suggest taking your time (I think that is why some people give up, they push too hard too soon) maybe keep track of your workouts and in time you will see the difference - sort of like those before and after photos!

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    sorry guys. What I meant is that when I walk up an incline I run out of breath. The driveway is uphill about 1/10 of a mile. I walk for 30 minutes every day with no problem. It's just the incline walking and the Zumba that wears me out. Thanks for your answers that it improves the more weight you lose. Thanks.

Try walking up it a bit faster, when you can do that then increase your speed some more, eventually you will be able to jog up it and if you keep doing that you will be able to sprint up it. You improve your fitness by increasing the speed and effort. As the famous cycling saying goes, "it never gets easier you just go faster."
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    thanks Camo, I will do just that.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    52 here, and every time it gets easier, I do something to make it harder again. I walk for my cardio, so I add to the incline or increase the speed or do a drastic incline interval... something like that.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Absolutely and the early gains happen quite quickly. Its just persistence and careful monitoring so you are making an effort. I see many people at the gym and they neither put in a significant amount of time nor do they push themselves. Keep at it, nothing to be afraid of.

Btw I huff and puff because im knackered and I push myself.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 62. When I was in my 40's, I did a lot of huffing and puffing and had aches and pains I chalked up to getting older. It turns out I was just fat. I'm in a lot better shape now then I was then.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Absolutely and the early gains happen quite quickly. Its just persistence and careful monitoring so you are making an effort. I see many people at the gym and they neither put in a significant amount of time nor do they push themselves. Keep at it, nothing to be afraid of.

You can't know what the people putting in time means or not. Many people who lift do small amounts of cardio merely to get their blood circulating before a lifting session. They don't need to put in a lot of time on an elliptical for their purposes.

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

You can't know what the people putting in time means or not. Many people who lift do small amounts of cardio merely to get their blood circulating before a lifting session. They don't need to put in a lot of time on an elliptical for their purposes.

Can I have your permission to still laugh at them because they are half my age and huff and puff climbing 2 flights of stairs to get to the bro room ?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »

Can I have your permission to still laugh at them because they are half my age and huff and puff climbing 2 flights of stairs to get to the bro room ?

You have mine!
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    It gets much easier and quite addicting for me. Now I crave the exercise and just introduced lifting 4x/week 1 hour 20 minute sessions. I love the way I feel after and focus on that good feeling it will give me. As for huffing and puffing, not so bad (in through my nose, out through my mouth). It's gotten much easier. Good Luck :smile:
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I huff and puff and sweat. Copiously. All over the equipment and then I walk away without wiping it down. Bro strutting the whole time.

As long as you're not wheezing and gasping for breath, you're probably alright. The huffing and puffing will get better as you get more fit and as you get more fit, the time it takes for you to regain your breath will decrease pretty dramatically.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and even though I'm losing weight I still have a bit to go. Does the huffing and puffing and not catching breath get easier while losing for you? Just curious. I want more energy.

Oh yeah, it gets better. Just have to keep working it, and pushing gently against the limits.

:drinker:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    just turned 48

when I was 47 and before I started hell yes .. huffed and puffed, felt like I was dying, couldn't do it .. asthma and breathing issues leading to panic attacks

now, 11 months later (52lbs down) .. nope .. I have to work hard to get out of breath and I do ... 3 sessions of gym workouts, 1 with a PT, lots of walking

do it .. if couch potato me can, you can

PS no asthma meds / no panic attacks - I'm going kicking and screaming into my next decade
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    great inspiration guys. Not only did my question get answered, but now I'm motivated more than ever. Have a great Friday!
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I use to huff and puff walking up the 30 steps to my daughters daycare. Since losing some weight and being more active I can now even run up the flight of stairs without losing my breath.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I'm 40, and as so many others said, it gets better. Now my goal is to get myself huffing and puffing.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm 42 and even though I'm losing weight I still have a bit to go. Does the huffing and puffing and not catching breath get easier while losing for you? Just curious. I want more energy.

In theory we could remain couch potatoes and lose weight simply by limiting intake. That wouldn't improve fitness, wouldn't improve your lung function, wouldn't strengthen your heart (a muscle) although it would tax it less, and would make you lighter.

Provided you are doing something to improve your cardiopulmonary function, absolutely you will find improvements over time. But it won't improve unless you are doing the work.

I'm assuming you are doing the work (edit, just saw the Zumba addition to the thread), and that you don't have other health issues, so just stick with it, things will get better. IF you really aren't making cardiopulmonary fitness progress after many weeks of effort, perhaps you should seek a medical opinion.

IF it's more a matter of slow but apparent progress, you may not be challenging yourself enough.
    Try to push yourself just a little harder from time to time and definitely raise the bar as you do make progress. That's important.

Don't stop. It will get better. It will.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Yes, exercise/activity has gotten much easier. Yes, I have more energy.
  • Julz519
    Julz519 Posts: 22 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    [

Sure, it's ok... I sorta do the same thing. I don't laugh out loud or actually say anything but when I see someone lifting weights that clearly should be able to put up more than me but aren't... In my head I'm saying 'put some weight on that' :smile:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I don't remember ever huffing and puffing with normal activity, even when I weighed 300 pounds. I wonder how much of this is just a matter of lung capacity. I have huge lungs, I'm a swimmer...breathing has always been the easy part for me.

I certainly do not breathe hard now--I can run up a flight of stairs without getting the slightest bit winded.

I do, however, sweat like a pig.