Not eating enough calories

Options

Replies

• TamikaJames
    TamikaJames Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    Here...scroll to number 10, but keep in mind 1 through 9 along the way...
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
    Yeaaaaa this thread is incredibly frustrating and condescending. I KNOW I wasn't eating enough calories. That's not debatable for me. I'm not sure why it's so hard to comprehend. I wasn't overeating, I wasn't eating a bunch of crap. I was NOT EATING ENOUGH
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have that problem? I don't eat enough calories during the day so my body seems to think I'm in starvation mode(As if) and holds on to my fat. Is anyone else having this issue

Maybe you can help educate starving people all over the world because according to you the LESS you eat, the fatter you are. You'll be famous!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Does anyone else have that problem? I don't eat enough calories during the day so my body seems to think I'm in starvation mode(As if) and holds on to my fat. Is anyone else having this issue

So your not eating enopugh calories so you can lose weight? Care to open your diary, this sounds awful.

This is what was happening before I started on MFP and trust me it wasn't intentional lol. Just the demands of my business and family life I would literally sometimes not eat until 3 or 4 pm and by the time I did eat I couldn't finish a whole meal because I would get full pretty fast. But I wasn't losing weight.

How did you gain weight in the first place, was that by eating too little or is there a certain level of calories at which your body understands its not in starvation mode, but it activates into weight loss? You think you are in starvation mode now and that you need to eat more to kickstart your metabolism into realising you need to lose weight? Sounds tricky, maybe you could experiment with what time you eat?
    I'm honestly not sure. I know for a fact that I'm eating more now than I was before I decided I needed to lose the weight. I was barely eating twice a day before. Now, even if it's just some fruit, I make sure I eat breakfast and at least dinner. I may skip lunch.

If this was the case, you wouldn't have any weight to lose. You were/are eating more than you think.
    No I wasn't. I'm well aware of what I wasn't eating.

Yes, you were.

Sorry, but them's the facts.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to eat too little and not lose weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yeaaaaa this thread is incredibly frustrating and condescending. I KNOW I wasn't eating enough calories. That's not debatable for me. I'm not sure why it's so hard to comprehend. I wasn't overeating, I wasn't eating a bunch of crap. I was NOT EATING ENOUGH

So you're defying science?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    agxsnd3tjvw7.gif
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

All those starving children in africa are fat from not eating enough.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Maybe you can help educate starving people all over the world because according to you the LESS you eat, the fatter you are. You'll be famous!

5d7.jpg
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I have (sort have) had that problem a couple of times. If I am significantly short of my calorie goal and I have done exercise that day to burn equally significant calories, when I hit 'complete entry' at end of day, I have had on occasion gotten the message that I have consumed to few calories and warns me of the risks and the so called starvation mode and suggests eating more at a point when I am basically done eating for the day and risk going over my calorie goal and the key nutritional numbers I am also looking after. It is confusing and more than a little annoying.
  • TamikaJames
    Options

Starving people are eating NOTHING. What I said was I'm not eating ENOUGH calories. Meaning I am eating and what I am eating is being held on to and not being burned off.

I'm curious how many of the "experts" on this thread are actual doctors, especially since my DOCTOR told me I was not eating enough calories. I was not eating too many calories, I was not overeating, I'm not an idiot and I'm not in the early stages of dementia. I know what I put in my mouth. I was simply not eating enough. If this is not a problem for you or you don't believe in it, why comment? Better yet why comment and be condescending and snide. I could see if there were ACTUAL productive comments. These comments are pretty bitchy. Smh. But continue, I know what I've seen I've increased my calories and I've lost weight. If that's not the case or not what you believe, excellent. Have a great night all

• TamikaJames
    Options
    I have (sort have) had that problem a couple of times. If I am significantly short of my calorie goal and I have done exercise that day to burn equally significant calories, when I hit 'complete entry' at end of day, I have had on occasion gotten the message that I have consumed to few calories and warns me of the risks and the so called starvation mode and suggests eating more at a point when I am basically done eating for the day and risk going over my calorie goal and the key nutritional numbers I am also looking after. It is confusing and more than a little annoying.

See I knew I wasn't the only one

• Alluminati
    Options
    Sorry that science upsets you.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    So good for you Tamika. You are able to defy medical science.
  • TamikaJames
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

All those starving children in africa are fat from not eating enough.

And either of the mocking comments was necessary why?

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Except it doesn't say anything about starvation mode (because I just logged a few things and hit complete):

Based on your total calories consumed today, you are likely not eating enough

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

Even during weight loss, it's important to meet your body's basic nutrient and energy needs. Over time, not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects & other serious health problems.

To safely meet your goals:

Focus on consuming nutrient-rich foods and beverages
    Check your progress in MyFitnessPal throughout the day
    Add nutritious snacks between meals as needed
  • mxmakm
    mxmakm Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

So your not eating enopugh calories so you can lose weight? Care to open your diary, this sounds awful.

This is what was happening before I started on MFP and trust me it wasn't intentional lol. Just the demands of my business and family life I would literally sometimes not eat until 3 or 4 pm and by the time I did eat I couldn't finish a whole meal because I would get full pretty fast. But I wasn't losing weight.

How did you gain weight in the first place, was that by eating too little or is there a certain level of calories at which your body understands its not in starvation mode, but it activates into weight loss? You think you are in starvation mode now and that you need to eat more to kickstart your metabolism into realising you need to lose weight? Sounds tricky, maybe you could experiment with what time you eat?
    I'm honestly not sure. I know for a fact that I'm eating more now than I was before I decided I needed to lose the weight. I was barely eating twice a day before. Now, even if it's just some fruit, I make sure I eat breakfast and at least dinner. I may skip lunch.

Not trying to argue here or anything, but I would just like to add that I eat once a day, every single day and have been for probably over a year. In that one meal, there were times I was way over my calories, especially if we ate out, but there are other times I eat now and don't meet my calories in that meal. Just because you are eating less meals does not mean you are consuming less calories, and vice versa.
  • myfatass78
    Options

See I knew I wasn't the only one

So you aren't eating enough calories and you hit the complete button ? What is your point ?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Not weighing solids so not properly measuring your intake ... closed diary so no ability for anyone to assess your claims ... and those claims involve you violating universal laws of physics ... noting those discrepancies is not condescension, it is intellectual integrity.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Starving people are eating NOTHING. What I said was I'm not eating ENOUGH calories. Meaning I am eating and what I am eating is being held on to and not being burned off.

I'm curious how many of the "experts" on this thread are actual doctors, especially since my DOCTOR told me I was not eating enough calories. I was not eating too many calories, I was not overeating, I'm not an idiot and I'm not in the early stages of dementia. I know what I put in my mouth. I was simply not eating enough. If this is not a problem for you or you don't believe in it, why comment? Better yet why comment and be condescending and snide. I could see if there were ACTUAL productive comments. These comments are pretty bitchy. Smh. But continue, I know what I've seen I've increased my calories and I've lost weight. If that's not the case or not what you believe, excellent. Have a great night all

Are you using a food scale and weighing EVERYTHING you eat...even prepackaged foods? If you're not, then chances are you have no idea what you're putting in your mouth. Food scales should be used for solid foods, not measuring cups. And you are getting many productive comments.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

So people eating nothing somehow eat enough yet you ate more than them but didn't? Your doctor shows how little nutritional education that field actually receives. Metabolic adaptation is a long term process that results in less burn largely in part to loss of lean body mass ... starvation mode as you attempted to describe it is a steaming pile of excrement that is disproved by a little thing called science.

• myfatass78
    Options
    My logic is that EAT TOO LITTLE == LESS MOVEMENT == LESS CALORIES BURNED. EAT MORE == MORE ENERGY == MORE MOVEMENT == MORE CALORIES BURNED.