If gaining lean tissue is your primary goal do you lift weights in a fasted state or eat first?

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Muscle building happens the day after, so it really doesn't matter how you lift (fasted or not) the day before. Your nutrition should be consistent and ensure you consume enough protein on your rest day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well won't a pre workout meal have better performance which could stimulate more fiber tears right?
    Maybe, maybe not. I've done preworkout several times and most make me feel anxious (like hurry up and get done) rather than focusing more on just the movement itself.
    After I stopped using them, I didn't notice any difference in my intensity of workouts.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Muscle building happens the day after, so it really doesn't matter how you lift (fasted or not) the day before. Your nutrition should be consistent and ensure you consume enough protein on your rest day.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well won't a pre workout meal have better performance which could stimulate more fiber tears right?
    Maybe, maybe not. I've done preworkout several times and most make me feel anxious (like hurry up and get done) rather than focusing more on just the movement itself.
    After I stopped using them, I didn't notice any difference in my intensity of workouts.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I am going to experiment with pre workouts to see if it makes a difference. Not looking forward to C4 test but I think I should do that with a max day. What I do know is having more carbs early in the day for me I perform way better for workout time.(intensity wise)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I am going to experiment with pre workouts to see if it makes a difference. Not looking forward to C4 test but I think I should do that with a max day. What I do know is having more carbs early in the day for me I perform way better for workout time.(intensity wise)

I'm not sure if you're sensistive to preworkouts/stimulants but i would suggest trying atleast a 1/2 serving the first time. Then if you're all good try a full dose.

I know i'm a female, weigh less, and am smaller, but i wasn't joking when i said i thought i was having a stroke.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm not sure if you're sensistive to preworkouts/stimulants but i would suggest trying atleast a 1/2 serving the first time. Then if you're all good try a full dose.

I know i'm a female, weigh less, and am smaller, but i wasn't joking when i said i thought i was having a stroke.

I usually don't need a pre workouts but I have trained my mind to get in the zone for workouts at around 3 50 pm after work. I took a little C4 before and I though I was the world strongest man. That workout was years ago so I can't recall the results of the workout.

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Bollocks to that - if I have been farming all day, I'm gonna have a bowl of cereal or something before the gym, or I'll just feel weak/tired.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I lift typically right after work and before Dinner so it's been about 5 hours for me....but sometimes I eat first. Not often...

Typically for me (which may be weird) how I perform is based on my food from hours or even the day before...I find that if I don't get in my calories on the weekend in a "good" way or not enough all my lifts suffer on Monday....
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I tried training in a fasted state and never felt like I had the same energy. A small meal about 30 minutes before I train helps out.
  • buckiaj
    buckiaj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lots of good information in this thread; so I thought I would throw in my two cents.

I personally workout everyday at 5am. The only thing i consume beforehand, is my preworkout which has some BCAA's in it (5g total, 3g Leucine). I have practiced intermittent fasting for the past 3 years or so, and my eating window doesn't start until Noon most days. So after i'm done lifting at 6am, I typically will sip on 10g of BCAA's post workout, and again at 10am. I know "technically" BCAA's ruin a fast, but I don't practice IF so much for the fasting, but for the ability to then eat a larger dinner than I would if i ate in the mornings.

But, this should be taken with a grain of salt as i'm currently cutting on this plan, not bulking/adding muscle. This plan is strictly to maintain the muscle mass I have now. So far, so good.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    buckiaj wrote: »
    Lots of good information in this thread; so I thought I would throw in my two cents.

I personally workout everyday at 5am. The only thing i consume beforehand, is my preworkout which has some BCAA's in it (5g total, 3g Leucine). I have practiced intermittent fasting for the past 3 years or so, and my eating window doesn't start until Noon most days. So after i'm done lifting at 6am, I typically will sip on 10g of BCAA's post workout, and again at 10am. I know "technically" BCAA's ruin a fast, but I don't practice IF so much for the fasting, but for the ability to then eat a larger dinner than I would if i ate in the mornings.

But, this should be taken with a grain of salt as i'm currently cutting on this plan, not bulking/adding muscle. This plan is strictly to maintain the muscle mass I have now. So far, so good.

Many who follow IF remain flexible outside of their eating window and sip low calorie drinks, tea or black coffee. BCAA's post workout if you aren't eating until 12 is a smart move, since going without amino acids that long probably isn't optimal. And larger dinner = winning!
  • aprilricks86
    aprilricks86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I usually lift weights fasted because I work out in the early morning most days and don't want to have to get up any earlier than I'm already up! I take a pre-workout--usually 1.5-2 scoops of c4 and I'm good to go most days! Sometimes on leg days I'll have half a banana or apple 15 minutes or so before working out. It's not ideal--I can tell I'd have better workouts if I ate beforehand because like ^^ this guy said I get hungry mid-workout sometimes and I'm not 100% awake / energized from eating a full meal. BUT, it works for me and my schedule.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    AKDonF wrote: »
    It really is not that complicated, but people add more than necessary. Training and nutrition are totally separate things but there is interaction. In my opinion, THE single most important thing in training is intensity and intensity requires focus. So whether training fasted or fed is best decided by what give the most focus and intensity. Training itself is catabolic in that it breaks down muscle.

Nutrition takes that stimulus and uses it to produce muscle. Timing is relatively unimportant and as @dieselbyte has pointed out, feeding prior to training is not going to increase muscle glycogen. In the end, as has been stated, it is nothing more than a preference really. A preworkout is for some a way to increase intensity, but for others it is a distraction. Again, a personal decision.

^^yep.

The only other recommendation is that if you are training fasted, you would want to get some protein in within a reasonably short time of lifting as a cya re MPS.

Other than that, the primary reason for meal/macro timing is to produce the better workout.

Personally, I am good for a short session fasted, but tend to need something for a longer one. I usually have a high protein + carby drink pro/intra workout as I cannot stomach food first thing. The protein in the drink is just an easy way to get a bolus within a reasonable time of lifting - so I do not have to remember after as I am usually running late for work at that time. The carbs are for more sustained energy. It really is an individual thing.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I took a full dose or C4 once a few months ago. Ended up getting tired and napping an hour later lol. Got my workout in, but hours after I was expecting too!

I still have the container - full except that one dose.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If your goal is to add lean tissue while minimizing the addition of adipose tissue Do you lift weights in a fasted state or do you eat first? Why?

I workout in the evening, but do fasted cardio in the morning....I eat 6 times a day...for whatever that is worth.

I always make sure I'm carb loaded going into the workout. I'll drink a 50 gram protein shake with a 50 gram carb powder inside in the meal before the workout..usally 2 hours before...so around 4 pm for me. I drink a 25 gram carbohydrate and BCAA drink during the workout...and get 100 grams or 50 grams of carbs with the post workout meal (usually white rice with honey) depending on whether I'm bulking or not.

On a cut most of my carbs are taken Peri workout (Before, During, After)

Cheers.

Robert