did anyone else get super emotional

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    for myself I know that's why I became more emotional during this process.

Yeah, me too. I think it's normal for a certain subset of people (emotional eaters or whatever).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,048 Member
    Options
    Not emotional exactly ... but a whole lot of grouchy. :smiley:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It does sound like the kind of swing that happens when strange things are going on with your hormones. The only time I've had the kind of feelings you describe, I was taking large doses of progesterone.

If it lasts, you might want to mention this to your PCP or GYN.

Start exercising to cope instead of eating!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I didn't at first but the longer it drags on the more bummed I seem to get on occasion. It's basically become this endless process that won't seem to just wrap up. I constantly feel like after 4 years I should be the stupid after photo already but it just ain't happening. It's a bit irritating to get constantly diminishing returns. Meanwhile all you see are other people having constant success because they're lucky enough to have started out with less to overcome. So yeah. There's that.

Why would you assume that someone who has had success hasn't had things to overcome? That's really, incredibly dismissive.

I started out with severe depression, anxiety, sleep deprivation, insulin resistance and a brain condition called Chiari Malformation. I was on 11 different pills a day - many of which had increased hunger as a side effect. Some days I literally COULD NOT get out of bed because of my Chiari - I couldn't speak, walk or take care of my own kids, let alone cook healthy meals and exercise. I have headaches literally all the time - some quite debilitating. I need brain surgery. I have panic attacks, frequently. I have overcome a TON to get where I am today - having lost 77 pounds. So please, please don't assume you know anything of the struggles other people have faced on their way to success. I'm not lucky. I worked my a*s off.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    while losing weight?

I've been on my weight loss journey for a few weeks now and I CANT STOP CRYING! my face is breaking out and I'm super emotional.
    I assume its because I've been obese and ate bad so long that my body and hormones are adapting to the changes, but I hate it! haha

Anyone else getting this?!

I haven't noticed anything like that. I get emotional and have skin break outs around my period but that was always the case.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    None of your damned business!!

Tex, you made me laugh.

Here ya go, sweetie.

kleenex-hand-towel-pop-up-box-01701.jpg

To whomever flagged his post-believe me, he's joking. :D
  • usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hormones do have alot to do with the food we eat but weight loss and diet can change our cycles around too so be mindful of that
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I must admit Tex made me slurp my coffee and have a bit of a laugh. I thought it was funny and just presumed he was having a go at how grumpy people get when dieting.
  • couchsnake
    couchsnake Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been extra emotional too,but just linked it to my depressive disorder instead. But I`m not really all that sure.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Didnt the OP already admit it's probably PMS?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    Last time I cut I was eating McDonalds, Burger King etc about 3-4 days a week. To fit this into my macros left me VERY hungry most days. I would get angry easily, have mood swings and even on a few occasions get close to punching close friends just because they were annoying me.

This time now I'm having foods that fill me up more. I've also decided to try less carbs and more fat, which my body seems to respond better to. My general mood now is all round calm and happy :)

I definitely have this same experience. If I try to cut solely calories, I'm a crazy lady. However, if I start watching my carbs, and getting my calories from protein and veggies, I feel the effects much less. At first I'll have a "carb flu' but after I get over that hump, my moods stabilize, I have energy, and I feel great!!

What is a Carb Flu? Is there a shot?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    while losing weight?

I've been on my weight loss journey for a few weeks now and I CANT STOP CRYING! my face is breaking out and I'm super emotional.
    I assume its because I've been obese and ate bad so long that my body and hormones are adapting to the changes, but I hate it! haha

Anyone else getting this?!

A couple of years ago, I was doing Zumba in my living room and my husband made a smart-alecky comment about Zumba and I got sooo mad at him that I threw my Wii Remote at him... :smiley: - So yea, I'd say I've gotten a bit emotional!!! :smiley:

lol! Exercising can get me emotional. I think it puts me in this really cool state where I'm more pliable -- if all goes well, I get a nice high, or at least an energy boost and a sense of accomplishment. If all goes not well, I get a nice mood swing into the low and start yelling at my video instructor that I hate her. I've also noticed that it happens if I don't get enough exercise -- like if I try to do a short workout, nope. I need no workout, or something like 25+ minutes, or I get bad feels.

If your video instructor is named Leslie, Jillian, Fonda, Simmons, or Greer, that's completely normal.

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    fairy2b wrote: »
    I am totally going through this!!! It's hard to explain, but I feel way more...SENSITIVE. I was at the gym reading an article about abused dogs being rescued and just started bawling in public! Then last week I was watching a documentary on reformed prisoners and cried through that! These are not things that would traditionally bring tears to my eyes. Don't get me wrong--I'm an empathetic person, but I have never been one to react to subjects like these with tears! There have been multiple times in the last few weeks where this reaction has just HAPPENED. It's like I'm feeling things WAY more deeply than the average person.

I have a personal theory on this, (and most MFP folks will probably think I'm crazy for saying this,) but I think I am becoming more sensitive as I lose weight and getting back in touch with my emotions. Growing up, food and binge eating was always something I used to numb any emotional pain I was feeling. Instead of feeling or processing whatever I was going through, I stuffed my face until the only thing I felt was FULL. And THAT felt better than feeling anything at all.

I think that as I'm losing weight, I'm releasing all those layers of "protection" too. I used food to guard and protect myself, and now that I'm not doing that anymore and rediscovering my relationship to food, my senses and feelings are feeling stronger than ever.

Whether you resonate with my experience or not, the point is, you are not alone!! I'm going through this too. You are accomplishing great things! It's ok to feel whatever you are going through. I spent most of my life avoiding it, and I'm ready for it now <3 Keep at it, girl!
    Like Peter Parker?...are you doing Paleo?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    sprepej wrote: »
    Unbridled glee has been my only reaction so far through 22 lbs of loss. Probably enough glee to annoy the heck out of my husband, but only glee.
    Glee-Animated-glee-12988765-374-211.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    Last time I cut I was eating McDonalds, Burger King etc about 3-4 days a week. To fit this into my macros left me VERY hungry most days. I would get angry easily, have mood swings and even on a few occasions get close to punching close friends just because they were annoying me.

This time now I'm having foods that fill me up more. I've also decided to try less carbs and more fat, which my body seems to respond better to. My general mood now is all round calm and happy :)

That's good man...certain types of food does seem to affect your mood aside from your body.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6310-1423779290-24.gif
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    fairy2b wrote: »
    I am totally going through this!!! It's hard to explain, but I feel way more...SENSITIVE. I was at the gym reading an article about abused dogs being rescued and just started bawling in public! Then last week I was watching a documentary on reformed prisoners and cried through that! These are not things that would traditionally bring tears to my eyes. Don't get me wrong--I'm an empathetic person, but I have never been one to react to subjects like these with tears! There have been multiple times in the last few weeks where this reaction has just HAPPENED. It's like I'm feeling things WAY more deeply than the average person.

I have a personal theory on this, (and most MFP folks will probably think I'm crazy for saying this,) but I think I am becoming more sensitive as I lose weight and getting back in touch with my emotions. Growing up, food and binge eating was always something I used to numb any emotional pain I was feeling. Instead of feeling or processing whatever I was going through, I stuffed my face until the only thing I felt was FULL. And THAT felt better than feeling anything at all.

I think that as I'm losing weight, I'm releasing all those layers of "protection" too. I used food to guard and protect myself, and now that I'm not doing that anymore and rediscovering my relationship to food, my senses and feelings are feeling stronger than ever.

Whether you resonate with my experience or not, the point is, you are not alone!! I'm going through this too. You are accomplishing great things! It's ok to feel whatever you are going through. I spent most of my life avoiding it, and I'm ready for it now <3 Keep at it, girl!
    Like Peter Parker?...are you doing Paleo?

ok lol
  • cheezels83
    cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid levels tested? :-)
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Did you lose your weight fairly quickly?

Estrogen is stored in fat, if you've lost a lot and quickly (and if you had hormone imbalances - lack of periods etc) before, it could well be your hormones just being completely out of whack, combined with massive life changes.

Grasping at straws... don't know tbh!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean OP. I get emotional for many reasons. Regret that I wasted so much time being over weight and unable to do the things I wanted, pride that I've made such a drastic change, determination to get where I want to be.

I also get very emotional reading other peoples success stories, or even just their progress, because I feel so strongly that they are making better lives for themselves and their families.

I am so proud that I am teaching my daughter a good life lesson about health and nutrition and the thought of her seeing me change my life for the better makes me very proud. I think it's an even better lesson than if I'd started out slim and healthy because she can see my strength and determination.

I lost my Mum when she was in her early 60s and she was always over weight, she was diabetic and had heart problems. I dont want to lay on my death bed and regret a thing.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I was also told from someone when you lose weight your fat cells release estrogen? Not so sure on that one, but maybe?

Fat cells produce oestrogen (in both men and women) so weight loss will affect hormones. Your monthly cycle may get affected , your skin may break-out or become clearer- there are lots of side effects to weight loss which differe form person to person.