Summer of Change Student Edition (Week 1)

Options
So I realized I don't know how to mass message, so here ya go!

Welcome to the group everyone! Well I know everyone had a busy year with classes, I know everyone has a busy summer working, catching up with everyone and possibly summer classes. I know I do.. But what is most important, is our health and being fit. That's what I created this group. Just because I created it, doesn't mean I'm perfect. I'm going to have slip ups. Just like the rest of us. But it's nice to have a solid support group backing each other. This summer will be the best. We will all lose those Freshman 15,5,10 or whatever you gained, get back in shape, and get motivated for next semester.

Remember to keep us updated in the weekly topic page. We are all here for one another. You don't have to post 24/7. Once a week would be great.

Remember to weigh-in by Tuesday night or else your weight will remain the same on the excel sheet for the next week, either message me your new weight, or post it on that weeks topic.

Here's the link for the spreadsheet: http://tinyurl.com/summerofchangedata

I was wondering if you guys wanted a fitness challenge every week? Maybe complete a certain number of hours doing something? Or something at random? Post this in the topic and we will start it next week

Challenges are not required but motivation. I hope they help everyone. I will be completing them every week as well. If you have any ideas for them, feel free to message me.

If you EVER need anything...feel free to message me. No matter if it's a question, you need motivation, or just want to talk, I am here for everyone. That's why I created this group.

Also Kaylor908 asked for some book suggestions... I know I love reading, so why doesn’t someone make suggestions for good reads once in awhile. This goes for anything too. If you need suggestions for workouts, relationship problems, summer classes, parents etc.. just ask and I’ll be sure to help and so will the rest of us.

Motivation, determination, commitment and focus (thanks neuroticlin89) is how we are going to get to our goals.. Let's do this.

This weeks challenge will be posted soon.

Replies

• kayladiane5
    kayladiane5 Posts: 94
    Options
    5/18-5/25
    Evaluate your goals. What are they? Are they realistic? How are you going to achieve them? Will being in this group help you?
    Get started on your goals today! Get away from the computer (after you do this of course) and get active, make smarter decisions for dinner, snack healthy! We arn't in class anymore, so we can use more time to think and do these things.
    Make at least one post on the topic this week dealing with your goals. Short-term and long-term (the entire summer), comment on each others goals and try to help them out.

Also: Challenge each other. Make friends on here. Do a bunch of you like to run? Challenge each other to run a certain amount of miles each week. I would love to see some mini challenges that you create within our group. This is an us group, I don't have to plan everything and it would be great if you guys helped out. I take every suggestion into consideration and save it in my notes.
  • sweetage123
    sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My goals: I would really want to get down to the weight I was when I entered college, which was around 140-145. I have no desire to be super thin, I just wanna feel confident. I have this dress that I wore to senior prom. Had to buy it in a size 8 (for my boobs) and got it tailored to a size 6 in the waist because I was small back then. My goal for the summer is to be able to fit into that dress again. I weighed in this morning at 155.2, so I don't think its crazy ambitious to want to accomplish all of that in a summer.

I decided over spring break that it was time to get back down to my skinny weight. I had gotten up to 165 and during clothes shopping one day I realized just how big I had become. I believe I'm already on a good path toward change and reaching them. I'm down 10 pounds since then, in under 2 months. I've been maintaining 1200 calories a day, with a few cheat days, but decided today to up it to 1400 since I'm getting closer to my goal. I work out quite regularly and have recently started focusing more on weight training to tone up the muscles hiding under all this fat. I've been doing 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30, as well as the various strength machines at my gym. I think being in this group will help, because I have someone else accountable for my progress and to support me. I love posting a loss and coming back a few hours later to a bunch of positive comments =D

I've tried my best to friend most of the people in this group, but MFP got mad at me for sending so many requests, so if we're not friends add me please!! I love the idea of attempting to run a certain number of miles each week, but maybe make it more conducive to each person, so maybe more like "minutes exercised" or "calories burned" for anyone who does not like to/cannot run.

My challenge to everyone this week: Try waking up an hour, even 30 minutes earlier than you normally would on an off day and go for a walk or do some yoga. It makes for a start to a great day. I amaze myself at how much more I get done waking up at 10am, compared to when I let myself sleep til mid afternoon. =P
  • AllyV0621
    AllyV0621 Posts: 81
    Options
    My really short term goal is to do well on my finals!! Lol they're next week, and I am STRESSED. I'd love to stay within my calorie goals and continue to lose weight that week, but I'd be happy to just stay where I am now and not gain anything. My short term goal is really reasonable, I want to be 120 by the end of summer. As early as possible actually, so that I can enjoy as much of bikini-weather as I can, but I'd be thrilled if I managed it by August 19th, the day everyone moves back. My long term goal, hmm, I hadn't really thought about it. I guess it would be to get a head start on the cholesterol problems I know I will have when I get older. My dad is a marathoner, but he STILL has high cholesterol, so it's guaranteed to be genetic. I figure that if I can make a healthy lifestyle second-nature, I can prevent myself from ever having to take cholesterol medication.

I've been doing pretty well so far, and have already lost 9 lbs. My pants are way lose now, and I'm pretty glad i'm doing this in the summer, when I can wear skirts. That way I don't have to deal with my changing butt size until fall rolls around again, and then I can buy pants that fit my new butt and thighs! The other day, I FINALLY buckled my belt at the next notch down. I was so excited.

My challenge: Do something you haven't done before. Try the weight room, go for a bike ride, eat something new. Something you've not tried. Especially if you've found yourself plateau-ing.
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My short term goal is to get down to 145 and to stay really healthy though out the summer. I think this is realistic, I'm already at 159 and my mother has been very helpful (she's gotten low calorie snacks and has put the family on the track to eating better). Also, I am choosing graduate schools this summer (oh yeah, fun) so I want to be super confident for my interviews if I have any.

I'm down 37 pounds since the start of February (and my eating habits were CRAP in school, I work in a diner)--but I was doing a ton of cardio every day. At home I want to learn how to eat better so I don't have to compensate with 2 hours of intense cardio every day.

Long term: I think I want to be 130 pounds. I don't know when the last time it was I weighted this (I think I might have been like 13 years old). More than that though, I want to be confident in my clothes and in a bathing suit. I live in Texas and I go to college in California so I need to feel good in minimal amounts of clothing :D

Everyone friend me!

It's super hot here so until next month when I get a gym membership I won't be running but I'd love to start a group for that or something. I also love to read, I'm obsessed with glee and turbofire, and I love idle chit-chat (especially because I'm only volunteering this summer and have a ton of free time).

My challenge is to find something that is both exercise and fun that doesn't feel like work. Maybe it's dancing or playing a game outside with the neighborhood kids. For me, it's bike riding. i could do it all day, my brother and I do it all the time just for fun! We don't worry about cardio or calories burned we just ride around the neighborhood!

Happy Healthy Living :D
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the group so here's my stuff :)
    Looking forward to this group. It looks very friendly and helpful.

A little about why I am here:
    My plan is to get from 129 to 115 ASAP, I would love to get there by August 1 but realistically by the end of this challenge. I am just about half way there, having started at 141. I don't know if I will be happy with 115 but is would give me a BMI of 22 and that seemed a good goal. I might well decide to drop another 5-10lbs after that. First I am going to get to 115 though, because then I know my health is safe and if I lose anything beyond that it is just for vanity. I am lucky to have big muscles all over, so my main aim here is to get rid of the fat that's covering them. I mean it's awful that despite being very active my whole life, and having some serious muscle tone, I allowed myself to eat enough that I couldn't even see half the muscles. Skinny fat is not what I'm going for, like my friend once said I want my legs to "look like I can do stuff with them".

The way I get my loss:
    1200 calories total intake on a normal day, no eating back exercise calories, so that when I have to go out for a meal or whatever my week still works out good. I workout 5-6 days a week, doing 30DS (today is L3D2) and 20-30 mins elliptical. I also walk to and from college most days which is 20 mins each way.

Name: Mili
    Height: 5'1
    Major/minor: Violin performance
    Why you want to join this group?: It looks full of nice people of my age
    Goals for summer: Be able to wear a bikini or at least something where I look acceptable on a beach. Get to 115 at least.
    SW: 141 (when I joined)
    CW: 129
    GW (for August 30th): 115 (maintenance). Anything less would be a bonus.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    My goals:

- Continue NOT binge eating - it's been almost a full week since I have, which hasn't happened in months
    - Continue NOT eating grains/baked goods - those are the things I used to binge on, and I don't really miss them that much
    - Gradually lower sugar intake and non-vegetable/fruit/nut carb intake
    - Continue trying to eat mostly unprocessed food, or food that doesn't have a ton of ingredients, or if it does... less artificial ingredients - you get the point :-)
    - Not as concerned with the number, but I'd love to get back to 140 by the end of summer - long term I want to lose a bit more than that, not quite sure of a number there either
    - Continue gaining muscle!!!

My challenge for you:

- Observe the types of foods you eat! Are they heavily processed? Try replacing one thing with a less-processed food; if you like fiber-one bars, try instead to eat more vegetables or berries, or even some nuts - the less artificial stuff in your system, the better, in my opinion.
  • misjesica
    misjesica Posts: 21
    Options
    My goals:

- Give up sodas, even diet ones! They're so bad for you (but taste so good!) I think I'll start this one off my limiting myself to 1 diet soda a week and go from there.
    - Stop binge eating late at night when I'm out partying with friends. Not drinking alcohol is also going to be a challenge. My friends love to go downtown every weekend and drink, but that's so many empty calories! :(
    - By the end of this challenge I hope to have lost 13 lbs

"If you always do what you have always done, then you will always get what you have always got."

Let's do this people!!!! Summer of Change! :D
  • Sarac715
    Sarac715 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My goals:

I mentioned this in our first board, but my goals is to ride my bike to work 3 days a week. I started Monday, since I no longer have to drive to campus after work and rode every day this week so far. I am worried I won't be able to stick with it once it starts getting really hot out. I hate getting to work and having to change clothes when I am all sweaty and in a rush. So that is my goal for the summer.

Weight-wise, I'd like to be down to 135 by the end of the challenge. I started mfp on April 1, and really haven't lost any weight since, maybe just 2 or 3 pounds. So I'd really like to see some real results by the end of the summer. Its been frustrating to go almost 2 months without losing hardly any weight. I am definitely in better shape (I can lift a lot more weight, do a lot more push-ups, and run a lot farther), so that's what's really important but still....

My long term goals are basically to get into good, healthy habits now while I am young. I want to make changes that are sustainable.

Giving up soda is a good one too! I might try that as well. What do you all think of crystal light packets?
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    Right now, my short-term goal is to lose 1.5 pounds to get me to 115 by my birthday on the 28th. It's not going to be easy, though, since I'm small already, and I don't know if it's possible. I'll take it in stride and hope just not to gain on cake and deliciousness!

More long-term, I just really want to start to like fitness. I'm itching to go for a bike ride, but it just keeps RAINING this week. Ugh, and I don't like doing much of anything indoors. I guess that's a good start toward wanting to, though. I want to continue using proper portion sizes and STOP binge eating. I usually do it because of anxiety, which I tend to think is part of an undiagnosed disorder because it's just atrocious. So hopefully stopping the anxiety will stop the binging.

Also, I'm noticing my commitment to clean eating getting better. I still like artificial sweeteners. I've done my research, and I don't think I'm doing my body any harm in choosing sugar-free alternatives. I love to bake, but half the time I feel guilty using white flour. I even told my boyfriend the other day that if he bought white bread for us to have, I wouldn't be eating it. And he picked up a brand I used to LOVE. White flour was my crack for most of my life, haha.

I want - and forgive me for this, because people tend to think it's unhealthy - to be a size zero. That's my ultimate goal, and I don't want to do it by just losing weight, but by changing my body composition so that more of my weight is muscle, and since muscle is smaller than fat, one day my thighs should be small enough for a pair of zeros.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :D
  • GvMeSmthn2Lstn2
    Options
    My ULTIMATE goal is probably unrealistic for the summer, considering the fact that I have two jobs (though I think one should count as exercise since I'm walking around and pushing shopping carts and whatnot for hours, yeah? yeah?) and I don't want to kill myself. But I'd ultimately like to lose 30 more pounds. And once I've reached my "ideal" weight range I wanna focus more on toning. I want some muscles! not big he-woman muscles, just enough so people know how healthy and strong I am ;)

So I guess my summer goal is to get as close to that goal as possible. I've always been chunky. And I'm short so that doesn't help. I've never had much self confidence, and I'm an art major, so it's something I need. It's gotten better throughout my weight loss but there's still waaay to many days where I don't feel beautiful. I've never felt sexy. And usually when dealing with boys I manage to convince myself that there is no possible way HE could like ME, or at least he wouldn't if he knew exactly what I looked like. I want to feel sexy! I want to know everyday that I am a beautiful, healthy person!!

My goal for everyone this week is to make sure at least one day this week that you do what ever you have to do to feel absolutely beautiful and confident, because you are!!!!! :D

We can do this!
  • AwkwardPumpkin
    AwkwardPumpkin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My short term goal for this summer is to lose about 50 lbs. It sounds like a lot, but I am going to focus hard and just work work work! I would love to be under 200 at the end of the summer.

My long term goal is to fit into a size 8, it has always been my goal size. I love to feel healthy and fit and be able to buy dresses off the rack at the mall and have cute things in my size. I love fashion, I just never fit it.
  • AwkwardPumpkin
    AwkwardPumpkin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My ULTIMATE goal is probably unrealistic for the summer, considering the fact that I have two jobs (though I think one should count as exercise since I'm walking around and pushing shopping carts and whatnot for hours, yeah? yeah?) and I don't want to kill myself. But I'd ultimately like to lose 30 more pounds. And once I've reached my "ideal" weight range I wanna focus more on toning. I want some muscles! not big he-woman muscles, just enough so people know how healthy and strong I am ;)

So I guess my summer goal is to get as close to that goal as possible. I've always been chunky. And I'm short so that doesn't help. I've never had much self confidence, and I'm an art major, so it's something I need. It's gotten better throughout my weight loss but there's still waaay to many days where I don't feel beautiful. I've never felt sexy. And usually when dealing with boys I manage to convince myself that there is no possible way HE could like ME, or at least he wouldn't if he knew exactly what I looked like. I want to feel sexy! I want to know everyday that I am a beautiful, healthy person!!

My goal for everyone this week is to make sure at least one day this week that you do what ever you have to do to feel absolutely beautiful and confident, because you are!!!!! :D

We can do this!
    You're an art major too! Sweet!
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My short term goals: I'm coming back from a couple injuries (hazards of co-ed soccer), and I have a 10k road race in a week and a half. A few days ago, I finally managed to run the entire distance on pavement in under my projected time (without a brace), so I know I can do it. The race itself isn't too intense, and I always run it with a pack of friends as a sort of "summer fitness" kickstart, but I'd really like to beat last year's time.

Summer goals: I'm starting a new degree program in the fall, and my continued fitness will depend on how many good habits I can instill over the summer. Once the stress of a move and the pressure of scolastic competition (and the utter lack of rest!) start to pummel me, I will have very little discipline left for my health. I want to default to healthy living so that I don't even have to think about it. Also, I'm leaving my beloved mountains, so I really have to make this summer count while I'm adapted to the altitude.

For nutrition, I'm challenging myself to slow down when I eat. This is surprisingly difficult for me (I think I ate my dinner in about 6 minutes tonight), but I'm aiming for the magical "20 minutes to satiety." You're all welcome to try it too!
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    My current short term goal...is to get threw finals week. Which is this week. I have a final tomorrow morn and one on Friday.

My long term goal is to not gain any weight back during the summer. I can keep it off during the school year but summer is hard.

Also you had mentioned book ideas. I just read an AMAZING book for my class. It is fictional and it is eriously a great book. It gave me motivation to see all that these two women had to endure.....if you want any more info on it just ask.

The title is A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. You will not regret it and you also wont be able to put it down.
  • sweetage123
    sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I challenge everyone here to make their food diary open, at least to friends. I love being a creep and getting ideas from other people, and I'm sure we could all benefit from that!
  • hope007
    hope007 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    Soo my summer challenge. Varies from both the physical and the mental.
    -Loose at least 30lbs this summer.Since I have been eating healthy and working out I've been loosing a 1lb a day.<-- Awesome!
    -Build confidence. I love meeting new people but I'm terribly shy when it comes to guys. Any suggestions of how to open up more? The goal is to get some numbers ;] haha
    -Learn how to cook healthy. Since I really don't know any easy recipes I've stuck to just chicken salads for lunch. -__- i need variation.
    -Pick up some good books.
    -Lots of roadtrips... explore my state. <3
  • hope007
    hope007 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    Soo my summer challenge. Varies from both the physical and the mental.
    -Loose at least 30lbs this summer.Since I have been eating healthy and working out I've been loosing a 1lb a day.<-- Awesome!
    -Build confidence. I love meeting new people but I'm terribly shy when it comes to guys. Any suggestions of how to open up more? The goal is to get some numbers ;] haha
    -Learn how to cook healthy. Since I really don't know any easy recipes I've stuck to just chicken salads for lunch. -__- i need variation.
    -Pick up some good books.
    -Lots of roadtrips... explore my state. <3
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I have to run to class - I will post tonight!! :-)
  • Abaestuo
    Abaestuo Posts: 4
    Options
    My goals are mostly to tone up and develop more visible muscle. I used to be super defined and almost have a six pack... I miss it hahaha. I'm going to achieve this by setting short terms goals for myself and when I complete them, give myself a small prize! First check in is about 7 pounds away and my reward is some makeup essentials. :) my final weight should be around 125ish because any lower than that and I'd be a waif; I want to be healthy looking, not a useless stick.

My goals are super realistic, I need to lose approx 15 pounds in about 3 and a half months, so all I need to do is lose about a pound a week. My other motivation for finishing this is to look great for summer and september recruitment!
  • alexandrarae90
    alexandrarae90 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Goals for this summer
    1. Lose at least 20 pounds
    2. Walk more, no matter where I am
    3. Work towards being physically
    4. Become healthier (hopefully mentally as well)
    5. Record EVERYTHING I eat, even if I know its bad or could go over my calories.

I know that I need to try harder and stop being lazy. I want to start looking forward to being active or working out instead of dreading it and just not doing it at all. I think being part of this group is going to be a big help because of the constatn reminder of support and motivation.

My main motivation is that I know when I lose weight it will be a lot easier on my back. Since I've had a couple of back surgeries my back has been a mess and is ALWAYS hurting. Hopefully taking some weight off will relieve pressure and make it easier to do activities. :)